The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Cirdan vs Celeborn vs Thranduil

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 4:58am

Post #1 of 5 (7845 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan vs Celeborn vs Thranduil Can't Post

Who would win in a 3-way fight between these 3 mighty Sindarin Elves? Takes place in an open field during the War of the Ring era (so everyone is at the respective level of experience they were at during that time).

lastnickleft
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 5:23am

Post #2 of 5 (7778 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not honestly know. I've always seen Cirdan as the wisest, but also slightly weaker due his really, really great age, kind of weary for all that he has lived. I'd go with Thranduil or Celeborn with a 50/50.

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 5:45am

Post #3 of 5 (7831 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan vs Celeborn vs Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting duels: the three greatest Sindarin Elves of Middle Earth pitted against each other. If this weren't a straight-up duel, I would consider Cirdan the greatest, due to his massive experience and wisdom, as he is said to have been between 20 and 40,000 years old, at least twice as old as Galadriel and at least thrice as old as Elrond, to put this into some perspective. However, in sheer strength and fighting ability, I don't think he could measure up to either Celeborn or Thranduil. Politically, Thranduil outranks all of the other elves in Middle Earth, as he is the only one who claimed the title of "King". However, among "Tolkienites", Celeborn is considered the greatest Sindarin Elf-Lord remaining in Middle Earth, (Galadriel is a Noldor Elf, Elrond is Half-Elven) thus I would deem him greater. My money goes to Celeborn edging Thranduil, after wearing down the ancient Cirdan.

In Reply To

lastnickleft
The Shire

Jan 28 2015, 12:28am

Post #4 of 5 (7822 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know, but the conception of Celeborn as the most powerful Sindarin is mostly related with the fact that he is Galadriel's husband. I acknowledge his power, wisdom and feats, but they are nothing that vastly exceed the neither Círdan, nor Thranduil.

Padster
Bree

Apr 10 2015, 1:38pm

Post #5 of 5 (7357 views)
Shortcut
Celeborn, probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Thranduil is going to have issues measuring up to the other two. He simply doesn't have the history or lineage.

Mr T's later thoughts had Celeborn as a Sindar, but one who was one of Olwe followers, and therefore from Valinor, and who came across the sea with Galadriel as part of the rebellion. But in the same breath Mr T had Galadriel having had no part in the rebellion of the Noldor, which, given she was under the ban of the Valar, which was in part derived from the Kinslaying, I have a bit of a hard time accepting this. But it's Mr T's world. And it is said that this would have been a major re-write of the story, which may not have happened. Either way Celeborn is of amongst the highest caliber of Eldar lineage, being related to Olwe and Elwe (great nephew I think), and he, having live in Doriath, saw much combat on the borders. Celeborn is "Celeborn the Wise" and Galadriel describes him as being "the wisest of the elves of Middle-earth", which again is hard to accept, given Cirdan himself "saw further and deeper" than anyone else and was also hugely wise.

Cirdan's age is meaningless. He is an Eldar, which means he is immortal, which means even though he has a beard, his age makes no difference to his mental or physical capacity. Yes he grows "weary" of the world, but I think people read too much into this.

I think Thranduil is toast, leaving Celeborn and Cirdan.

I think Celeborn has the edge, as he has probably had more combat experience, given where he lived and the opportunity he has had throughout his life to get into combat, where as Cirdan spent most of his time on the coast building ships.

Cheers

Padster

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.