The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bombur, the silent Dwarf

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 2:23am

Post #1 of 22 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Bombur, the silent Dwarf Can't Post

I've seen some interviews with Stephen Hunter, and he's definitely open about Bombur's love for food. But he's quiet about Bombur's, well, quietness. Though he doesn't have much going on in the film I actually like Bombur quite a bit, and I think Hunter does a great job with the physical humor as well as conveying a wonderful range of emotions through only small moments. The look on his face for example as they sit perched outside Erebor looking over Lake Town as it's destroyed says so very much.

So I'm curious if Bombur was intended to be this way from the beginning, or did he have lines originally? Do you think this was something they decided in post? It's an interesting choice to have a silent Dwarf, to be sure.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27 2015, 3:03am

Post #2 of 22 (1155 views)
Shortcut
It was planned right from the start [In reply to] Can't Post

that he wouldn't have lines. In an early media interview, Stephen said that during the casting process, PJ (or the casting director - someone on the production anyway) asked him if he was OK with not having any dialogue. So yes, he knew that all of his communication would have to be physical - which would be an interesting challenge for any actor, let alone achieving it under layers of prosthetics. I think he did a fantastic job. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 3:37am

Post #3 of 22 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Yes, no doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

He was excellent. As I've said before, if there is one thing that is never in question it is the highest caliber of the cast.

Thanks for response about his casting. That's cool to know.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Jan 27 2015, 3:52am

Post #4 of 22 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur says "Alright" in the second movie? I've never heard it, and have no idea when in the movie it is.

Here's the link:
http://lotrproject.com/...desolation-of-smaug/

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 3:59am

Post #5 of 22 (1036 views)
Shortcut
huh [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that's interesting. Does anyone know if when and where this happens?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2015, 4:04am

Post #6 of 22 (1057 views)
Shortcut
trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he has a short line while they're captured by the trolls too. But it's one of those things where you'd only know it's there if you know when to listen for it or put on subtitles.

I think he's supposed to have a line in the extended edition of BotFA too. An actual line, not background chatter. Or at least that's what Philippa Boyens seemed to be hinting at.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 27 2015, 4:04am)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Jan 27 2015, 4:27am

Post #7 of 22 (1018 views)
Shortcut
That would be interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe saying goodbye to Bilbo? That would be cool.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Jan 27 2015, 4:43am

Post #8 of 22 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Can you make Bombur talk…. [In reply to] Can't Post

in my fan edit?? ThxSly

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 4:55am

Post #9 of 22 (995 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure! What do you want him to say?

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 5:00am

Post #10 of 22 (1023 views)
Shortcut
I was always secretly hoping that was the plan [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a quiet, but confident and utterly congenial "Goodbye, Bilbo". As if it was no big deal. But I guess as was mentioned earlier it was intended for Bombur to be silent. I wonder how they arrived at that? Honestly, I'd pay inordinate amounts of money to be a fly on the wall during the meetings in which they developed the Dwarfs' character traits.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Jan 27 2015, 6:55am

Post #11 of 22 (987 views)
Shortcut
'Goodbye Bilbo' [In reply to] Can't Post

at the farewell scene would have been wonderful :( Funny, I too thought that would have been just perfect. I'm surprised no one on the team thought of having him say that there. Would have been perfect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2015, 7:24am

Post #12 of 22 (963 views)
Shortcut
Bombur needs to SAY...? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thang you Berry Buch"

while eating a Huge Ham Sandwich?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 7:25am

Post #13 of 22 (934 views)
Shortcut
OK! That's as good as it gets [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

mo0on-light
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 9:10am

Post #14 of 22 (928 views)
Shortcut
what i really didn't like [In reply to] Can't Post

is peter make boumbor not speak any word .. why did he make him silent dwarf he have a good lines in book that what really never liked just he's there with food ...

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 9:38am

Post #15 of 22 (918 views)
Shortcut
Kudos to Stephen [In reply to] Can't Post

You gotta give credits to Stephen. I think Bombur is quite memorable of the background dwarves + the fact that he doesn't say anything.

I think it's the same with the others too. I've grown very fond of them as well even if they're not favorites. I just love seeing them and what they do in the background. Makes it so much more entertaining.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 27 2015, 10:01am

Post #16 of 22 (902 views)
Shortcut
I think the not speaking makes him memorable... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's his physical presence that comes across and his expressions. He's warm and funny, he's a tough as the others in a crisis and boy, can he run! All that would become less impressive if he spoke - his words would be the focus.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Jan 27 2015, 1:23pm

Post #17 of 22 (848 views)
Shortcut
tehe [In reply to] Can't Post

As if it was no big deal

yes! and everyone looking at him "did he just..."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 6:29pm

Post #18 of 22 (765 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree with this, Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's a real personality – I especially liked it when he blew the horn. A lovely, very memorable moment for me.

In Reply To
It's his physical presence that comes across and his expressions. He's warm and funny, he's a tough as the others in a crisis and boy, can he run! All that would become less impressive if he spoke - his words would be the focus.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2015, 7:43pm

Post #19 of 22 (738 views)
Shortcut
well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 27 2015, 8:29pm

Post #20 of 22 (755 views)
Shortcut
I always figured they'd wait til he sang at Thorin's funeral... [In reply to] Can't Post

Voice of an angel, I tell you. Probably sings in Welsh.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 8:36pm

Post #21 of 22 (738 views)
Shortcut
Now that would be something [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2015, 10:41pm

Post #22 of 22 (723 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't the line... [In reply to] Can't Post

..."Thag you very buch", and not "Thang you berry buch"?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.