Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Observation on Fellowship color grading in "Hobbit" 17 Year Video...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 11:56pm

Post #1 of 11 (4424 views)
Shortcut
Observation on Fellowship color grading in "Hobbit" 17 Year Video... Can't Post

I noticed something while watching the "17 Year Journey" video on the WB UK Youtube page. The footage from FotR looks slightly different to my eyes, and I compared a couple shots to the EE Blu-ray, and sure enough there were some subtle differences to the color. I chalked it up at first to the difference between a television display and a computer monitor, but I compared the video to my iTunes version, and there's definitely a difference.

I know back when the first production diary for The Hobbit came out, we got a glimpse of the new FotR color grade. Could this be our first glimpse at a newer color correction (possibly in reaction to complaints about green tint and dark contrast)?

Here's a comparison of one of the shots in the video (the first is the EE iTunes version, and the second is the '17 Year' Video):

http://img.photobucket.com/...ray1_zps38650db4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...ray2_zps11aab090.jpg

What do you guys think?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 10 2015, 12:03am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2015, 6:36am

Post #2 of 11 (4047 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really want to believe this is a sign of things to come. Even if the next blu-ray release of LotR has no new bonus features (it better though...), I'll buy it again just for an improved Fellowship color grade.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 10 2015, 6:39am)

Faleel
Rohan

Jan 10 2015, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (4024 views)
Shortcut
The "new" [In reply to] Can't Post

The "new" grade makes FOTR look more like AUJ, especially the sky.

HeadingSouth
Bree

Jan 10 2015, 7:53pm

Post #4 of 11 (4011 views)
Shortcut
There does seem to be a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 5:45pm

Post #5 of 11 (3973 views)
Shortcut
green haze [In reply to] Can't Post

the first has a green haze over the entire thing....... particularly noticeable in the sky and the golden highlights on the grass (both of which are, well, green.

second has nice bright clear color...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 12 2015, 6:49pm

Post #6 of 11 (3943 views)
Shortcut
soon we'll know [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling Warner Bros. has just been ignoring this problem for the last few years because they thought it wasn't worth it to do anything about it at the time. But now that they're re-releasing the movies again after The Hobbit, they'll quietly fix the problem and act like the previous blu-ray release never happened.Wink

I've watched the entire movie with the green tint a couple times, and to be honest there are only a few parts of the movie where it's actually distracting for me. Unfortunately the Shire takes the biggest hit. You can tell they did some new color grading to make the Shire look even better than it did in the original release, but that green tint, which I refuse to believe was on purpose, sucks the warmth out of it. After watching the movie a million times over the last decade, I can still notice the green throughout the rest of the movie. But so much of the movie is pretty dark anyway, so I can live with it.

Hopefully sometime within the next year I won't have to just live with it anymore.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 12 2015, 6:54pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 4:29pm

Post #7 of 11 (3919 views)
Shortcut
is this just on the Blu Ray? [In reply to] Can't Post

or the DVD too????????????

Because my whole collection is DVDs.

And I'm thinking (grrr snarrrrl ggrrrrackinfrrrackin) that I need a BuRay player because all the awesome is on the (expletive deleted) BluRay (grrrrrr)(techies) (staahhp).

Why can't they just fargin invent something that lasts and I don't have to change it like underwear..........

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2015, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 11 (3915 views)
Shortcut
EE [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only on the extended edition of FotR. Every HD release of it since 2011 has the same problem (blu-ray, iTunes, etc.). They touched up some of the digital grading in FotR, but something went wrong when it was released and the entire movie (not just the scenes they touched up) has a weird green tint over the whole thing that makes everything look slightly darker. Some people say they don't notice it, but it's definitely there.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 9:29pm

Post #9 of 11 (3915 views)
Shortcut
You're fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

The DVD has the original color grading from 2001. The green tint was introduced with the new color grade that PJ did for the Extended Edition Blu-ray. In my opinion, it's not really noticeable for most of the film (the outside daylight Shire sequences are the most noticeable IMO).

In truth, I think there's often a bit of confusion around here with regard to what the green tint is vs. the new color grade. Because the grade itself is very quite different from the look of the original DVD. I think some people mistakenly assume the entire different look is the result of the (IMO minor) green tint.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 9:32pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 12:01am

Post #10 of 11 (3938 views)
Shortcut
ray 2 looks much better - clear, crisp, easier on the eyes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 12:54am

Post #11 of 11 (3923 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dare I get my hopes up that they are going to release a better color for fellowship? Honestly, I don't want to buy this again, but I would do it if I can finallyhave a decent of copy of the extended version of one of my favorite movies of all time. Additional special features, and especially deleted scenes, would make this purchase worth it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.