New York weather tomorrow.... Can't Post

take care everyone...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 9:50pm

Post #2 of 71 (799 views)
Shortcut
WNY [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing alarming forecast for this end of the state (except perhaps near the Pennsylvania border), but for those further east, be careful.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 25 2015, 9:52pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 9:57pm

Post #3 of 71 (813 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are calling it a 'perfect storm' of sorts for us. Two feet of snow or a bit more is not too horrendous (heck, people in Buffalo are laughing, without pity), but winds over 65 to boot, not fun.

Be careful everyone. I have to work and then drive home in it but if you can stay home, do it.

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 71 (786 views)
Shortcut
Yikes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay safe out there, everyone.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 71 (790 views)
Shortcut
Tomorrow morning will be okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

the issue will be getting home tomorrow afternoon to some extent and definite problems all of Tuesday. All depends on whether or not it's bad enough to stop public transportation.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 71 (779 views)
Shortcut
Yes, goodness, take care! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was us last year the second week of January. Stay in if you possibly can!

Permanent address: Into the West

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 25 2015, 10:43pm

Post #7 of 71 (777 views)
Shortcut
Good excuse to spend the day, evening [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing the Hobbit movie again and again !!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 26 2015, 12:41am

Post #8 of 71 (805 views)
Shortcut
where are you hearing this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in Rockland County and the Weather Channel is only predicting 1 - 3 inches tomorrow and 3 - 5 inches on Tuesday. Who is saying 2 FEET?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2015, 12:49am

Post #9 of 71 (772 views)
Shortcut
LI is getting the worst of this one, I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

The lower Hudson Valley and Ct coastlines seem to be the line for lesser snow and winds. Here is our local weather from News 12:

LI Forecast News 12 LI

If you scroll down they are calling it potentially 'historical' which stinks:Unsure

2015 Blizzard Predictions

If you click on the Hudson Valley region forecast you will see the gradients of snow. Pretty dramatic in terms of fall over the lower edge.

Drive safe!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 26 2015, 12:52am)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 26 2015, 1:04am

Post #10 of 71 (785 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Brethil. Looks like 1 - 2 feet in my region. *groan* I'm still sore from all the shoveling I did the other day Frown

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2015, 1:11am

Post #11 of 71 (764 views)
Shortcut
I feel ya! [In reply to] Can't Post

We didn't get much but it was soooooo heavy from the rain mixed in. Now its just a slushy mess. I am having the chimney swept tomorrow to make sure if the power goes out the wood stove is drafting well - that's my pioneer heat and cooking if we lose electric!

Keep your shovel handy! And do stay warm.

(I hate having to drive in this. Had to drive home in Sandy too! Mad)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 26 2015, 1:17am)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 26 2015, 1:30am

Post #12 of 71 (764 views)
Shortcut
doctor's appt tomorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they don't cancel -- I made the appt months ago and I'd hate to have to wait another few months (nothing important, just want to get it out of the way). I don't mind driving, it's just all the other drivers that bother me Crazy

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 26 2015, 2:18am

Post #13 of 71 (752 views)
Shortcut
Last we're hearing [In reply to] Can't Post

NYC is predicted to get 2-3 feet! There is potential for this to be the worst snowstorm in the city's recorded history. The Mayor is already presuming that he's going to have to close public schools Tuesday, and people are urged to leave work tomorrow as early as they can. Things are expected to start picking up just around usual evening rush hour. It's starting to sound like we're probably not going to be able to get to work on Tuesday and possibly even Wednesday depending on how long it takes mass transit to get back up if it does indeed go down.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2015, 2:33am

Post #14 of 71 (765 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the 15"-25" range. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's about 40 cm - 70 cm. Of snow.

Welcome to New England! Laugh Already planning for 2-3 days without electricity. We're on a well, so we're getting large buckets of "flush water" ready, and filling up jugs of tap water for drinking.

Fortunately we have an enclosed porch where we can put the refrigerator items to stay safe and cool! But we're having trouble getting the gas campstove working, Geeky Son's going to the hardware store in the morning to see about replacing a gasket on it. No problem, though, if we can't get it working (although hot water for tea would be nice), we can live on cold casseroles and sandwiches and cereal and fruit and salad for a few days. And once the roads have been cleared, the local school has a generator and offers hot showers.

Anyone for a few-hours-long game of LotR RISK? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2015, 2:46am

Post #15 of 71 (748 views)
Shortcut
Yes, better off to plan just in case! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the wood stove for heat and even some cooking and water heating; two propane tanks for the grill and in the late fall I bring all the large coolers onto the back deck for outdoor refrigeration if needed; I am hoping the raccoons don't figure that particular trick out. Our new power company has done oodles of much-needed tree trimming which I hope will pay off during this storm.

So now that we did all this D., maybe Murphy's Law of the Prepared (which I just made up, I think) will kick in and nothing will happen to the power Angelic so I shall cross fingers we both stay electrified. But just for completeness it would be good to get the campstove up and working, so I hope Geeky Son has success.

Sigh. LOTR Risk by candles would rock though. Cool

Well folks, if you all don't hear much from us on Tuesday you know we are in the dark!

Kim
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 3:13am

Post #16 of 71 (733 views)
Shortcut
Yikes, be safe everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope everyone in the path can stay safe and warm.

#OneLastTime

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2015, 4:34am

Post #17 of 71 (726 views)
Shortcut
You're well-prepared! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wood stove and propane grill, you can cook just about anything!

I notice a lot of tree-trimming going on in our area this past Fall. We'll see how well it works! The utilities in our neighborhood are underground, but along the main road they're on poles.

Murphy's Law of the Prepared - I like that! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 4:41am

Post #18 of 71 (729 views)
Shortcut
weeeeeeeelp [In reply to] Can't Post

in southcentral PA looks like a mere two inches....

raining now, bleah

every day off it's raining.......
MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sűl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 26 2015, 6:19am

Post #19 of 71 (736 views)
Shortcut
Send us your rain [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a terrible drought.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 8:01am

Post #20 of 71 (720 views)
Shortcut
Stay safe, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be thinking about you all, sending you warm thoughts. Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 1:13pm

Post #21 of 71 (732 views)
Shortcut
They cancelled my flight to NYC 36 hours in advance [In reply to] Can't Post

If that's not a sign the storm will peter out into nothing, I don't know what it :)

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 3:09pm

Post #22 of 71 (733 views)
Shortcut
We are getting a little snow now. [In reply to] Can't Post

We are just south of Buffalo proper and don't expect more than an inch or two today (maybe, just maybe, three inches). It's a different story further east.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 5:13pm

Post #23 of 71 (707 views)
Shortcut
meanwhile, we're having spring here [In reply to] Can't Post

way too soon. The weeds and the fleas will be terrible if we don't get another good freeze; plus, I wanted to go on a ski vacation in a couple of weeks, but if this keeps up we'll have no snow. Which means drought next summer.

I learned a new term: FOMO - fear of missing out. I'm having blizzard FOMO, because we could really use one here. (And I love watching snow fall.)

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 26 2015, 5:14pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 8:56pm

Post #24 of 71 (803 views)
Shortcut
on the flip side [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm loving it! Sunshine and 60F in January! I actually sat outside and read yesterday after a walk, it was wonderful. Of course, my rhododendrons are now confused and starting to bloom. But, there is also moss on everything because it's been so damp, and flooding on the Snoqualmie River, so thoughts of drought feel very far away. And while a little snow can be fun, I'll pass on a blizzard.

#OneLastTime

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jan 26 2015, 10:44pm

Post #25 of 71 (676 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're expecting a similar amount here where I am in Maine. After the Thanksgiving storm that left us without power for about 3 days, I'm completely expecting to lose it again with this blizzard. We're also on a well, so my husband and I have been storing as much "back up" water as we can for flushing and drinking....fun times! Tongue

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.