Other
View Results (38 votes)

Starglass
Rivendell

Jan 26 2015, 1:58am

Post #1 of 28 (3372 views)
Shortcut
Skiing or snowboarding? Can't Post

With potentially a bunch of snow about to be dumped on the east coast (US), I'm immediately thinking of getting a chance to go to my nearest mountain for a day of fun in the snow. This led me to wonder what everybody here does in terms of winter sports. Are you a skier or a snowboarder? Do you enjoy both? Neither? Or do you find other ways to have fun on the mountain?

I'm a snowboarder and have been doing it on and off for about four years. I have my own gear and it's tons of fun! I would be a skier too, if I could, and tried last year but only succeeded in tearing my knee up. No more skiing for me!

Use this thread to share some stories from the mountain, if you want, and if you are in the path of snow tomorrow or Tuesday stay safe! Smile

(This post was edited by Starglass on Jan 26 2015, 1:58am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 8:16am

Post #2 of 28 (3211 views)
Shortcut
I don't do either anymore, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to enjoy skiing, though I only had the opportunity a few times. Snowboarding looked fun, but I was chicken. Tongue If I could have found a nice isolated area where I could have made a fool of myself in private, I might have given it a try. Laugh

Not that I didn't make a fool of myself skiing, but by the time snowboarding was a thing, I was in my late twenties or early thirties while most all the snowboarders were teenagers. I mostly feared looking like an "old fogey" in front of the young whippersnappers. CrazyLaugh

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 26 2015, 10:04am

Post #3 of 28 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Neither [In reply to] Can't Post

As gravity seems to pull me harder than most. AngelicLaugh

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2015, 12:43pm

Post #4 of 28 (3209 views)
Shortcut
I like to ski... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but have not done so in over a decade. My children never learned (and have stated they do not want to, even though we live in a town with a ski area).

Also, I have two bad knees (for which martial arts and tennis, not skiing, are to blame) which might be another good reason not to ski!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 28 (3184 views)
Shortcut
Snowshoeing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done cross-country skiing, but I never seemed to get very good at it. I like snowshoeing, because your feet stay where you put them. And actually, the trails around here get packed down enough that you can walk on the snow like an elf without snowshoes, even when it's four or more feet deep. We do put chains on our boots to keep from sliding.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 5:19pm

Post #6 of 28 (3185 views)
Shortcut
ah, but what KIND of skiing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I tell people I'm "bi" because I'm both a downhill and a cross-country skier. And I do both skate-skiing and classic Nordic style when I cross-country ski. Which I mostly do these days as the cost of downhill equipment and tickets is prohibitive, while I can still ski on my 20-year-old cross-country skis.

I was a downhill racer when I was a teen. Not a particularly good one, so I switched over and did "trick skiing" - the precursor to today's freestyle events - for a while. Not the high-in-the-sky multiple flip stuff, but I could ski backwards and jump over stuff. Ah, youth.

I break out the snowshoes when the snow's too bad to ski on.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 26 2015, 5:20pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 6:12pm

Post #7 of 28 (3184 views)
Shortcut
Born and raised in Colorado. [In reply to] Can't Post

Never been on a ski slope in my life.

And have no desire to, either. Throwing myself over a cliff with slippery, flat objects strapped to my feet is not my idea of fun.

If I have to be outdoors in the winter, I'd prefer to snowshoe, but that can be pretty cold and uncomfortable, too.

I'm just a homebody, I guess. Crazy

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 10:25pm

Post #8 of 28 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Neither [In reply to] Can't Post

I never learned to do either.....spent my winters playing hockey every day and night....oh how Canadian of me!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 12:25am

Post #9 of 28 (3159 views)
Shortcut
I've never done downhill myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

And cross country I'm not comfortable with more than about a 4% grade. We skied down a couple of miles of Trail Ridge Road once, and that was absolutely lovely: a wide road, gentle curves, and a gentle slope.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 27 2015, 4:59am

Post #10 of 28 (3154 views)
Shortcut
Cross-country skiing for me, back in the day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though we lived in So. Cal, we could get to good cross-country ski areas in a few hours, and went every winter for a few years. I've tried downhill a few times, but it's too terrifying. Cross-country is like hiking but with snow, which is even better.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 4:08pm

Post #11 of 28 (3136 views)
Shortcut
I learned to downhill ski at age 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

falling holds no terrors for a child that age!

Truth be told, I have rarely fallen when downhill skiing; I'm much more likely to fall cross-country skiing because 1. the skis are so narrow and 2. you really have very little control with them. Even on the steepest slope, downhill equipment allows you total control over where you go and how fast. And while I did sprain an ankle once on a black-diamond run, my worst skiing injury came from falling over on a nearly flat surface cross-country skiing (dislocated shoulder).

But I don't think I would have chosen to learn how to downhill ski as an adult, just because most of the injuries I know about do seem to happen to beginners. And those who don't ski safely, of course, and it IS a lot easier to ski unsafely while downhill skiing, especially if you go off-piste.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 27 2015, 4:09pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 6:28pm

Post #12 of 28 (3141 views)
Shortcut
if you're wondering what people do in terms of winter sports you'll have to offer more choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're talking about downhill skiing which works only in hilly, mountainous areas or near artificial ski slopes.

Around here, ice hockey is king with lots of outdoor rinks where pickup games can take place. Sometimes people play broomball. (they have the coolest shoes!)

The rinks are usually surrounded by free skate areas and some of the local lakes are groomed for skating. We just had a two big pond hockey events that draw people from all over the country.

Cross country skiing is fairly popular and trails are groomed. Some do snow shoeing.

Sledding it common. We have hills big enough for that.

I'm not sure it's a 'sport' but big tire bicycling in the snow is fairly popular. Some are commuting but lots are just biking for fun.

What do I do? None of those. If it's decent (above 30?) I try to get out for walks but even that can be difficult because as soon as it's above freezing, the sidewalks can be flooded with melting snow. When it's below 10, I go out only as necessary.

So my winter sports are watching birds through the window, reading, and watching streaming Netflix.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 6:31pm

Post #13 of 28 (3118 views)
Shortcut
I like your winter sports, Magpie. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 1:55am

Post #14 of 28 (3112 views)
Shortcut
one time [In reply to] Can't Post

we rented ski trikes; low bikes that have short skis instead of wheels and you can maneuver the front ski to turn. Hysterical fun. I don't see them on the slopes but I'd love to do that again.

Starglass
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 28 (3108 views)
Shortcut
Nice sports! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess with the poll I was just focusing on "mountain" sports" or the classic debate between skiing and snowboarding. Tongue I like your list though and can't say I've seen bicycles out in the snow before! There really are a lot of sports to do in the winter.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2015, 4:17am

Post #16 of 28 (3108 views)
Shortcut
uh, get a dog... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or two

My cousin took me snowboarding once. Bunny slope, he gave me his good snowboard (and used the crummy 2x4 rental himself)... knee braces on both knees. Learned how to fall down first, then how to brake. It was really cool, I see why people like it.

tried crosscountry skiing once... stood on my friend's skiis and my arthritic feet screamed at me: NO WE TOES DON'T BENDY THAT WAY!!!!!!

Traded $30 worth of stuff for a friend's dogsled, then when it broke (the plastic bits disintegrated over time) I got a real one. it is not only a gorgeous piece of technology and art, but light enough for one or two enthusiastic dogs. Three is better. Four requires some gung-ho insantiy. The people who run the Iditarod with 16 are nutz.

You can ski behind one or two dogs (pointers like German Shorthairs are popular for racing), or use a kicksled.

kicksleds are a great way for us ski-impaired types to enjoy a winter trail. you can use a dog or just kick/pedal the sled. It's very light, sometimes no more than a pair of runners and a handle.

Of course there's always the downhill snow saucer or Flexible Flyer (I have an old Lightning Guider). But at my house, there were never enough hills for that... my dad built a sleigh for the pony, and I shanghaied our Toggenburg goat (a massive 9.5 hand wether) into pulling a kiddie sled. Also a random Shetland pony. For some excitement, get a friend on a horse to pull you...

Somewhere in Finland...

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 12:45am

Post #17 of 28 (3095 views)
Shortcut
okay? [In reply to] Can't Post

What does this really have to do with Tolkien???? But ha ha ha, that's funny! I definitely prefer skiing, I don't find it HALF as dangerous as snowboarding.

Me85
Rivendell

Feb 3 2015, 2:22pm

Post #18 of 28 (3091 views)
Shortcut
this is the Off Topic forum [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's not supposed to be Tolkien related (but can be).

Skiing!

(This post was edited by Me85 on Feb 3 2015, 2:23pm)

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 6:14pm

Post #19 of 28 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Just realised this was posted in Off Topic...sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2015, 6:59pm

Post #20 of 28 (3090 views)
Shortcut
how Legolas learned to shield surf... [In reply to] Can't Post

(whole thing here: http://swordwhale.tumblr.com/post/109993759660)

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 8 2015, 5:57am

Post #21 of 28 (3070 views)
Shortcut
Swordwhale, I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Back when I lived I Alaska, I did dog mushing for several winters. For one thing, I loved the dogs. But the great thing I found about running smaller teams (I did 6-8 dogs) was, unlike snowboarding and definitely unlike skiing, I loved that I had fixed runners, a handlebar, and a brake.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2015, 5:14pm

Post #22 of 28 (3053 views)
Shortcut
wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great experience that was!

I've mostly run two or three dogs. I ran one of my friend's dogs with my three last year on the rig (very stable) and that was fun....

...then the local paper wanted some pics of us on the heels of a snowstorm ..."are you going...uh... moooshing?" and we obliged with two two-dog teams.

Then the photog wanted us to hook up all four...

which I had never done

on a sled

which flies compared to the rig

Shocked

suuuuuuuuuuuuure I can do that! Cool

Crazy

I had noticed that adding one enthusiastic dog to a two dog team created an exponential leap in power... ading oe to a three dog team was, to me, like WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

(you, of the eight dogs, may now laugh)...

There are shortcuts you take when running a couple of pets vs a large team. I had enough friends who'd run bigger teams that I had some idea, and the snow was deepish and not fast, so it was actually just the right number of dogs for the trail. The tricky part was getting off to grab the leaders and get them off a distraction and back on track (easy with two dogs, more complex with four).

I think I learned a bit. I think I will likely stick to two or three dogs. I think I have more admiration for those who run larger teams.

And yeah, brakes.

I highly appreciatde the drag brake that someone made for me out of a bit of snowmobile track. Yep!Brakes!!

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 10 2015, 7:17am

Post #23 of 28 (3034 views)
Shortcut
Swordwhale, you're awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Swordwhale, your messages just make my day.

Yes, oh boy did I laugh.

But I'm not laughing AT you; I'm laughing because I can relate. First team: two dogs, quiet neighborhood. Still managed to tip over and teat my rotator cuff.

Hmm, maybe it can be just as risky as skiing...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 7:03pm

Post #24 of 28 (3025 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

SlySlySlySlySlySlySly

I distinctly remember heaving the entire sled over on its side and throwing myself on it to stop the two dogs who were maniacally trying to get to the Golden Retriever...

And running between the runners over rocks and mud, then hopping on for the twenty feet of icy remnant of snow, then running...

(back when I could run)

Now just hoping for a nice rig run on bare trail...

So glad we did these adventures when we could!

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 11 2015, 3:13am

Post #25 of 28 (3018 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, for those young, daring lovers of skiing and dogs, there is a sport known as skijoring.

I'll stick to my memories of handlebars, brakes, and fixed runners. If you can ski or snowboard, you have my respect.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.