The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I have an interesting glitch with my TORn bookmark on my phone

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 11:46pm

Post #1 of 7 (2265 views)
Shortcut
I have an interesting glitch with my TORn bookmark on my phone Can't Post

I am running a Chrome browser on my desktop computer and my Android/Nexus 4 phone that is linked between the two. I have what's called 'desktop' bookmarks ... those are the ones that appear on a tool bar of Chrome on my desktop.

On my phone, these bookmarks are in a folder marked 'desktop.

On my computer, the favicon for my TORn message board link pn the Chrome toolbar is the 'the One Ring' favicon that TORn uses.

On my phone, the favicon for that same bookmark is the favicon for the TMZ website. I don't have TMZ bookmarked anywhere although I likely have visited it over time to read a story or two.

I tried removing the bookmark and then adding it again. And I tried adding a bookmark on my phone's home screen. That didn't work. Both times it was still the TMZ favicon.

I did go look at some other bookmarks I have in another folder while on my phone and those all have the regular TORn favicon (although those may all be to pages on TORn other than the message boards.

It's not a huge problem but it kind of bugs me to see that bright red favicon rather than the One Ring attached to TORn. I was curious if anyone had any strategies for fixing this? I'm assuming it's an issue with my phone since the favicon is fine on my computer.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 7 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Silly question ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'll ask it anyway, have you searched google for a solution?

Google seems to have a whole boatshed of different solutions - from technical rooting around in files and folders, to downloading extensions. This seems like the best solution, whether or not it works is a different matter:

1. Close Chrome
2. Open your User Data folder
(C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)
3. Delete the Favicons file
4. Run Chrome
5. Visit sites to force the icons to be re-downloaded

Since the problems seems to be so prevalent, I'd guess it is an inherent problem with the browser and not your phone.

I've always had the same problem on Google Chrome, both on my personal laptop and on my work desktop. At the moment, my favicon for TORn is a blank page. It has been many things in the past also!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 7 (2189 views)
Shortcut
I did search [In reply to] Can't Post

but I kept coming up with solutions that weren't pertinent to my problem. I probably have the least productive search results for tech problems because I am least able to put in useful search parameters.

I'll give that suggestion you found a try. It is more 'on point' than anything I found.

Thanks for looking Daniel! :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 4:39am

Post #4 of 7 (2186 views)
Shortcut
oh... I just read through those directions more thoroughly [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm to find the user data folder on my computer (C:\ etc) then that would only affect my computer's browser which is displaying the correct favicon.

It's my phone that is displaying the wrong favicon.

I've gone into my user settings on my phone and can't find anything that seems to work. I cleared the cache for Chrome and that didn't do it (not that I expected it to).

I've also searched for "User Date" in connection with Android and Chrome and can't find info on any folder named that.

And I've searched for : chrome android favicons stored (and cache) and can't find any useful info with those parameters either.

I think I have to live with it.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 26 2015, 4:38pm

Post #5 of 7 (2163 views)
Shortcut
If you connect your phone to your computer [In reply to] Can't Post

you should be able to browse to it like you would the files on your computer, and then follow the suggested steps. You may have to search for the favicons file on the drive partition, though. The phone manufacturers tend to obfuscate a lot of the paths so things like that are harder to find.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 2:08am

Post #6 of 7 (2145 views)
Shortcut
"user data" not "user date" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is that a typo in your post?

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 2:19am

Post #7 of 7 (2166 views)
Shortcut
typo // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.