The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A Mathematical Proof is Like Frodo's Journey In Lord Of The Rings

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 10:10pm

Post #1 of 11 (253 views)
Shortcut
A Mathematical Proof is Like Frodo's Journey In Lord Of The Rings Can't Post

I haven't read this... just posting a link/quote.

via io9:
scientist Marcus du Sautoy argued that a great mathematical proof is a lot like a story. In fact, a really great proof is like Frodo's journey in Lord of the Rings, from the familiar to the new.

Du Sautoy explains:

"A proof is like the mathematician's travelogue. [..]

[It's] a bit like Frodo's adventures in Lord of the Rings. A proof is a description of the journey from the Shire to Mordor. Within the boundaries of the familiar land of the Shire are the axioms of mathematics, the self-evident truths about numbers — together with those propositions that have already been proved. This is the setting for the beginning of the quest. The journey from this home territory is then bound by the rules of mathematical deduction, like the legitimate moves of a chess piece, prescribing the steps you're permitted to take through this world.

link to original Oxford University podcast: Narrative & Proof: Two Sides of the Same Equation.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 3:19am

Post #2 of 11 (165 views)
Shortcut
Calling Aunt Dora. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 4:06am

Post #3 of 11 (173 views)
Shortcut
erp [In reply to] Can't Post

math is still an alien language to me....

but I feel it is merely another language to describe the workings of the universe...

I just can't speak Math

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 11 (153 views)
Shortcut
I truly admire those to whom it comes easily. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife, my son and to a lesser extent my daughter get math much more than I ever could. I struggled with it all through school but managed to get by....but that is it. My wife is an accountant CPA and my son is in materials science engineering so they have had plenty of exposure to higher math. My daughter is in high school and I cringe when she asks me for help...."wait till mom gets home" or, sometimes, online aids are very useful...Khan Academy etc. Or enter the problem in Google search and quite often you will find the exact problem solved.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 11 (145 views)
Shortcut
I am now wholly amused by [In reply to] Can't Post

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Academy...

there's a meme in this somewhere....

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 11 (142 views)
Shortcut
Funny! Star Fleets top math teacher....flunked James T. KIrk gaining his immortal hatred. [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 11 (136 views)
Shortcut
"You've managed to solve just about every thing else, Khan, [In reply to] Can't Post

but like a poor mathematician, you keep misplacing the decimal!"

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 6:34am

Post #8 of 11 (134 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The sense of accomplishment one gets on finding a proof of a theorem is similar to Frodo's feeling of relief in ROTK when he knew the ring was destroyed...you want to say "It's finally done!"

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2015, 5:58pm

Post #9 of 11 (126 views)
Shortcut
because... [In reply to] Can't Post

no Watson.........

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2015, 5:23pm

Post #10 of 11 (107 views)
Shortcut
He wandered off to fight a dragon...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2015, 2:44am

Post #11 of 11 (112 views)
Shortcut
so many fannish injokes [In reply to] Can't Post

so little time...

I will never be able to look at Sherlock and Watson the same way again....

or Bilbo and Smaug...

they should do more, like Bob Hope and Bing Crosby

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.