Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
In that last shot of the Dwarves when they are saying goodbye to Bilbo, does anyone else...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lio
Lorien

Jan 25 2015, 12:29am

Post #1 of 26 (1917 views)
Shortcut
In that last shot of the Dwarves when they are saying goodbye to Bilbo, does anyone else... Can't Post

...find themselves instinctively looking for Fili and Kili in the crowd and then remembering they're gone?

It hits me suddenly, and in an odd way I find it sadder than seeing their actual deaths. Unsure

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser! (Does anyone still use AIM?)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 12:31am

Post #2 of 26 (1072 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I do, every time. And Thorin... Frown

Despite remembering what just happened, my eyes look for them still. "Funny" in a way, I guess... They have just always been part of the group, and when suddenly they are not there, it's just a weird feeling.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jan 25 2015, 12:34am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 12:38am

Post #3 of 26 (1080 views)
Shortcut
What a shot that it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I look for Balin, smiling goodbye, and it just breaks my heart.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2015, 12:47am

Post #4 of 26 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...find themselves instinctively looking for Fili and Kili in the crowd and then remembering they're gone?

It hits me suddenly, and in an odd way I find it sadder than seeing their actual deaths. Unsure

Grief hurts that way in real life too... Unsure

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 12:50am

Post #5 of 26 (1017 views)
Shortcut
sad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Yes it just feel sos wrong for them to not be there, with the rest of the Company. It's so...final. They are really gone.

Starglass
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 2:06am

Post #6 of 26 (983 views)
Shortcut
Definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

The group just seems so... empty... and wrong without Fili and Kili and of course Thorin, their leader. It's one of the saddest moments in the movie for me. I feel as if I've lost some friends as well.

Also, during that scene has anybody else noticed Bofur's face? He especially seems to by crying and then when Bilbo invites them to tea and says "there's no need to knock" he smiles through his tears in a way that just breaks me down. Unsure

Arveldis
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 2:23am

Post #7 of 26 (963 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was alone in thinking this! Yes, I looked for them, along with Thorin, too, and then felt like I got hit with a sack of bricks all over again. Every time I see a picture of that scene, I can't help but think "but three are missing." And then I get walloped again when Bilbo says Thorin was his friend, and when I see the glory box. Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 3:07am

Post #8 of 26 (956 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awful and hollow and feels all wrong.FrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 3:26am

Post #9 of 26 (1016 views)
Shortcut
It's such a classically Disney moment full of [In reply to] Can't Post

Love and kindness and peace with the camera moving away from the humbled and smiling dwarves. And Balin! Balin smiling! Ken Stott can pull off the most heart wrenching expressions. I found this moment more emotional than Thorin's death IMO. I don't know why but it hits me everytime that it truly is the end.

It sucks that Bilbo has to leave the way he does, in haste. The EE will probably fix this but the darker characterization of Bilbo leaving without saying goodbye to the dwarves is befuddling. I guess it's effective perhaps in the movie considering Bilbo is still shell shocked after Thorin's death but it hurts nonetheless that he would leave hastily. Ah well. Such is life in so many cases and it's hardly worth complaining.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 10:22am

Post #10 of 26 (919 views)
Shortcut
For me the moment that really hit.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... was later, when Bilbo was back in ransacked Bag End. I had a vivid flashback of Fili and Kili's arrival in AUJ, and Kili cleaning his boots on mother's glory box, then I thought - oh......

As someone else said, that's exactly how grief hits in real life. I may be imagining this, but wasn't the glory box one of the things that way saw being carried away from the auction?

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 11:59am

Post #11 of 26 (831 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 12:53pm

Post #12 of 26 (851 views)
Shortcut
Very poignant moment [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's even worse when you also know that Balin, Gloin and Ori are also going to be killed in Moria in the future (not to mention that Dain is going to be killed on his front of the War of the Rings). Come to think of it, Thorin's party and allies actually made out worse than the Fellowship and allies in spite of the story generally being lighter, didn't they?

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 2:27pm

Post #13 of 26 (824 views)
Shortcut
Oh god yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure It's very painful to see that some are clearly missing from the Company we have come to love so much. Feels like someone dropped a sack of stones on my chest each time.

Especially when comparing it to the shot earlier in the movie where the whole company stands inside Erebor looking at Thorin.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Jan 25 2015, 2:27pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 4:45pm

Post #14 of 26 (785 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it was one of the saddest moments in the entire film.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 7:02pm

Post #15 of 26 (757 views)
Shortcut
One of many times for this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Feels like someone dropped a sack of stones on my chest each time.

I've been comparing it to being punched in the chest by Dwalin, but that works too. Frown

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jan 25 2015, 9:58pm

Post #16 of 26 (708 views)
Shortcut
Oin, not Gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

Gloin appears alive and well in FOTR. But yes, Thorin and Company fared much worse than the Fellowship overall.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 25 2015, 10:12pm

Post #17 of 26 (696 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the typo. I hope everyone knows I meant Oin.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 26 2015, 1:41am

Post #18 of 26 (659 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and it's even worse when you also know that Balin, Gloin and Ori are also going to be killed in Moria in the future (not to mention that Dain is going to be killed on his front of the War of the Rings). Come to think of it, Thorin's party and allies actually made out worse than the Fellowship and allies in spite of the story generally being lighter, didn't they?

But I think it's important to consider that Thorin and Company's time is taking place during rising darkness and things will only get worse before they get better. After Sauron is defeated the members of fellowship live in a time of relative peace.

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 26 2015, 3:58am

Post #19 of 26 (647 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo hates saying good-bye. [In reply to] Can't Post

He did the same thing to Frodo.

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 5:00am

Post #20 of 26 (636 views)
Shortcut
there's something [In reply to] Can't Post

about Bofur.......... he's one of the most relatable....

and yes, after three films of counting Dwarves and automatically ticking off all thirteen...

Unsure

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 3:28pm

Post #21 of 26 (602 views)
Shortcut
Gloin? Gloin isn't killed in Moria. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

You've confused Gloin with Ori. Gloin, Gimli's father, lives until FO 15.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 7:59pm

Post #22 of 26 (558 views)
Shortcut
No, it should be Oin... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Oin that was killed by the Watcher in the Water trying to escape by the Western Door.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 8:06pm

Post #23 of 26 (557 views)
Shortcut
Been there, done that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was Oin that was killed by the Watcher in the Water trying to escape by the Western Door.

Already covered by a previous post. Ori died in the last defense of Moria. He was the keeper of the chronicle of the colony.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 8:09pm

Post #24 of 26 (556 views)
Shortcut
I was replying to your post... [In reply to] Can't Post

which stated you believed the poster had confused Gloin with Ori. But the poster listed Ori as well as Gloin. They obviously meant to write Oin and Ori. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 9:46pm

Post #25 of 26 (546 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right! I should have written Oin, not Ori. Of course the main point was that Gloin never went to Moria with Balin and did not die there. In fact, if he had then he could never have attended the Council of Elrond.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 26 2015, 9:47pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.