The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Rangers and the lands they defend

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 24 2015, 11:00pm

Post #1 of 15 (2157 views)
Shortcut
Rangers and the lands they defend Can't Post

Do Aragorn and the other Dśnedain Rangers of the North keep their thankless watch and defense of nice places, such as the Shire and Bree, because of a general ethic of service to peaceful folk at large, or do they consider it more of a formal obligation due to these lands historically being under the protection of Arnor (and its constituent parts)?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 11:10pm

Post #2 of 15 (2009 views)
Shortcut
I know that 'a watch was set upon the Shire' by Aragorn at Gandalf's request... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once the Ring was discovered. Bree too was protected as Aragorn mentioned. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a constant thing and a good opportunity for the remnant of the Dunedain to protect others, do good deeds, curb the spread of evil, and generally have something to do!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

squire
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 1:02am

Post #3 of 15 (1992 views)
Shortcut
We don't know why they do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am suspicious of the idea of a "general ethic", even in Middle-earth, so I tend to favor your second suggestion that the Rangers' mission is linked to their status as the heirs of Arthedain/Arnor. But if there is any kind of "formal obligation" it is one they impose upon themselves. Certainly the lands they guard were not merely "under the protection" of their ancestors' kingdom -- all the lands were owned by their ancestors or their ancestors' fiefs.

Now a thousand years is a long time for any tradition to be kept unchanged by a "secret and wandering people" - but in Middle-earth there is very little cultural evolution compared to our world; kingdoms and peoples, whether immortal or mortal, are static for centuries, sometimes millennia. Like so many other questions about the Rangers (i.e., where do they live, how many of them are there, what is their financing, religion, food supply, education, etc.) Tolkien chooses not to develop the answers to these in the context of the tale he is telling.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 2:49am

Post #4 of 15 (1989 views)
Shortcut
I like that Tolkien wrote at least [In reply to] Can't Post

'A little people, but of great worth are the Shire- folk' said Halbarad. 'Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not.''- "Passing of the Grey Company in Return of the King

I just wish he wrote more about them. I find them fascinating.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 10:34am

Post #5 of 15 (1960 views)
Shortcut
i agree- i think it's feudal instincts, and possibly a Fisher-King motif too [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we don't know much about the Rangers explicitly. Asked to choose, I'd agree with squire: these people are the heirs to the old lords of these lands. Their people's many have forgotten them, but they have not forgotten the great obligation of a feudal Lord, to protect his land, under the King. I think that explains why their home, such as it is, being in the North: if they were a general Anti-Sauron Society, patrolling the area around Bree would seem a strange choice of mission, when there are other things they might do.

A thousand years is a long time, but consider how Denethor boasts to Pippin in the throne room: in a lesser kingdom, Denethor would be up the top of the steps on the throne; but in Gondor, he and his heirs will sit on the Steward's seat at the bottom of the steps, and will do so until the King returns.

I read into this something if the idea of the Fisher-King: that the health of the Crown and the health of the land are one. So the absence of a thoughtful king has thrown his lands into a barren, winter-like period. Perhaps that applies to cultural change too - everything is on hold, waiting for the spring. Meanwhile, the Dunadain carry out their secret service to their people, and by being willing humbly to serve without thanks, they show they are still the ones who are truly fit to rule.

With Aragorn restored to the throne, with a Queen by his side, the Fisher-King motif would have the Kings lands returned to health to a magical extent- through Aragorn shrewd policies and personal abilities, of course, but also because the health of the land requires a rightful king.

And riding in the Kings train as he progress north to restore the North Kingdom will not be a load of Gondorian carpet-baggers, but men (and perhaps women) who already know the people they are about to rule, and so can govern well.

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

PhantomS
Rohan

Jan 26 2015, 11:24am

Post #6 of 15 (1926 views)
Shortcut
defending the little people [In reply to] Can't Post

With the decimation of the Northern Dunedain, it would be easy for them to turn into wild men or complete anti-social people like the Lossoth. Protecting the Shire and Bree-landers does give them something noble to do, as well as to keep watch on news, as virtually all traffic to the Blue Mountains will pass through Bree and the old roads. They are also sucessfully defending smaller borders, which is how they get to keep the name Rangers- Faramir's gang by contrast defend an entire border with Mordor itself and are rather failing at it.

Now why is there standing orders to protect these little people with hairy feet? For one, Gandalf wants it that way. He was tight with Elrond, who in turn is their chief's kinsman (and laundry service). The Rangers would all revere Gandalf, and would benefit from his kindling of their hearts (although they are already quite strong, as the Paths of the Dead have proven). As Gandalf is also a sword-user and a rider, as well as a muck-in type of fella he would command their respect easily compared to mr Ivory Tower Saruman. Aragorn and Halbarad speak highly of their task, like it is a calling as well as a duty.

It is also worth noting that the Shire at least is not actually Arnorian land any longer - King Argleb II had it as his royal garden, but gave it to the Shirefolk to live on and there are no records of Big people settling within the borders. Hence the Rangers are defending Arnor's old borders in a sense as the Shire has been quasi-independent.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 26 2015, 11:25pm

Post #7 of 15 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Yes! That's what I would like to think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Squire and NoWizardMe for thoughtful responses. I confess I had to research the Fisher-King motif; the extent of my previous knowledge on the subject was the movie with Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges.

My instinct also is to think of the Rangers' interest in the security of these lands as a duty that has specific historical contours. Oaths and service and generational commitment play such a part in the story overall that it would seem fitting.

I think that explains why their home, such as it is, being in the North: if they were a general Anti-Sauron Society, patrolling the area around Bree would seem a strange choice of mission, when there are other things they might do.

Excellent point.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 27 2015, 1:49am

Post #8 of 15 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is also worth noting that the Shire at least is not actually Arnorian land any longer - King Argleb II had it as his royal garden, but gave it to the Shirefolk to live on and there are no records of Big people settling within the borders. Hence the Rangers are defending Arnor's old borders in a sense as the Shire has been quasi-independent.

That is actually the thought that led me to ask the question. I don't know any details of the gifting of the Shire lands to the hobbits, but I imagine that such transactions include more than "Enjoy your new lands. See ya!" I envision the likelihood of some sort of mutual benefit/mutual obligation arrangement which, on the Arnor side, probably would include protection from invaders.

He was tight with Elrond, who in turn is their chief's kinsman (and laundry service).

Lol! That's quite funny, actually.

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 27 2015, 7:02am

Post #9 of 15 (1893 views)
Shortcut
I viewed that as suggesting a bit of a shift in tactics.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Once the Ring was discovered. Bree too was protected as Aragorn mentioned. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a constant thing and a good opportunity for the remnant of the Dunedain to protect others, do good deeds, curb the spread of evil, and generally have something to do!

My feeling was that Gandalf's request for a "watch" on the Shire suggested a bit of a shift in tactics. Prior to that they seemed more focused on the physical threat of Orcs/Trolls/etc coming down from the Misty Mountains of the north which seems like it would entail working more in the wilderness to hunt such things down before they got close to populated areas in the west of Eriador. More actively watching the shire itself on the other hand seemed to be as much about looking for those spying on it who might not look like such an obvious threat.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2015, 8:11pm

Post #10 of 15 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that they watched the Shire, preventing the invasion of hostile groups. I think the extra 'watch' Gandalf requested was more 'surveillance' than ordinary 'protection'.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 28 2015, 9:49pm

Post #11 of 15 (1862 views)
Shortcut
It would be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

to know how the term "ranger" was used during Tolkiens lifetime/era......what did it refer to in WW1?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 11:16pm

Post #12 of 15 (1865 views)
Shortcut
kinds of ranger [In reply to] Can't Post

This would seem to be a reasonable list:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 12:00am

Post #13 of 15 (1855 views)
Shortcut
What, no Lone Ranger?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This would seem to be a reasonable list:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Jan 30 2015, 2:56am

Post #14 of 15 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Prophecy and Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

This answer seems rather deterministic, but the Rangers survive because prophecy has it that the Northern Dunedain will revive both kingdoms.

Remember, Arvedui tried to reunite the two kingdoms but was rebuffed by the southern kingdom (Gondor). My memory is hazy, but I believe he made a prophesy about both kingdoms ending soon because they did not reunite. Indeed, soon after Arnor fell, so to did Gondor.

To make a long story short, the Rangers of the North had to exist and their line had to remain pure to restore the throne in both kingdoms. The South kept the "throne" but the North kept the "lineage."

In other words, Tolken had to keep the Rangers around. It makes sense that way and it's not done in a blunt way. It is written well. The Northern Rangers are strict in their traditions, unlike the Southern rulers were. They know that the seed of Numenor remains with them, so they do all they can to pass it from generation to generation until the time is right.

It's not so much that the Rangers are being noble, they are by nature (I guess). It's more so that they are being patient, awaiting the time for one of them to rise up and reclaim the throne. They keep the lineage of Numenor alive, and this is one of the most overlooked aspect of the Rangers.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2015, 2:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (1825 views)
Shortcut
They left the bard behind. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lone Arranger.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.