The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Admin announcement: a clean-up of The Hobbit discussion board

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2015, 10:10pm

Post #1 of 6 (5360 views)
Shortcut
Admin announcement: a clean-up of The Hobbit discussion board Can't Post

In the last few weeks the admins have been getting complaints about the negative and scratchy atmosphere on The Hobbit discussion board, and we have been having to step in more than usual in response to posts that target board members or make people feel unwelcome. Because of this, we're going to be applying the Terms of Service more strictly for a while to get things back on an even keel.

The full Terms of Service are here, and we'll be especially looking out for posts that don't met these following rules:

2. We strive to maintain a “family friendly” atmosphere that is welcoming to users of all ages. That means no cursing (including '***disguised***' profanity), swearing, excessive sexual innuendo or posting pics that contain nudity. Basically, if it’s not allowed during prime family-watching time on TV (roughly a PG rating), it’s not appropriate here.

3. Posts containing racial, ethnic, religious, political, sexual or other slurs, personal attacks (on a TORn user or other person) intentional attempts to drive posters away or make them feel unwelcome, or posts made with the purpose of criticizing or insulting another poster will be edited or removed.

Board members who repeatedly break these rules will go through our usual system of 'three strikes and you're out' - official warnings followed by a temporary or permanent ban from all discussion boards, depending on how bad or persistent the behaviour has been. We'd rather not go down this path, but we will step in when someone crosses the line so that this discussion board is once more a place where everyone feels they can have their say and take part in debates that are respectful.

Please remember that we are all here due to our love of Tolkien, and keep that in mind when you are composing your posts.

If you have any questions or you come across a post that is causing problems, feel free to send a private message to any admin or put a post on the Feedback board.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 25 2015, 1:55am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 11:02pm

Post #2 of 6 (2899 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to all the Modar for all your efforts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in such Board-busy times.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 11:49pm

Post #3 of 6 (2907 views)
Shortcut
Does this mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't be able to post the racy Goblin King 2015 calendar pics after all? So disappointed. Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 11:51pm

Post #4 of 6 (2879 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for your time and patience. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 12:07am

Post #5 of 6 (2889 views)
Shortcut
No that's rated PG: Pretty Gross [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I won't be able to post the racy Goblin King 2015 calendar pics after all? So disappointed. Frown

So you're good. Can't wait!

In slug terms, I suppose he's quite hunky.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jan 26 2015, 12:59pm

Post #6 of 6 (2998 views)
Shortcut
Be aware that profanity means different things in different countries. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will assume the rules of British family dinner table discussion. We should be able to have grown-up discussions on this board, and to be able to take the ..... (oh dear! can I complete this sentence without using a "disguised profanity" - not sure so I'll leave it at that).

The other thing is that films, books and their making are intrinsically bound up with real life and real life is politics, of which people have opinions. Strict interpretation of your rules will stifle even some fairly mild discussions, so I trust you will be sensible about this.

I generally use these as my guide for this type of thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidance-language-full

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.