Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit China Box Office. $14.9m Opening day.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 10:35am

Post #1 of 63 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit China Box Office. $14.9m Opening day. Can't Post

Just thought I'd pass the news, didn't see another thread. The first box office figures for the "last ever" Middle Earth release have been started to come out now. Interesting to track because this will clearly be Hobbits 2nd biggest market.

China opened to 93m yuan ($14.9m) on it's opening Friday (60% better than DoS). 4.7m yuan in midnight screenings.

DoS opened to $8.9m in China (which was already a big increase on AUJ).

BotFA is potentially going towards towards a $55m opening weekend if it follows the same path as DoS on opening weekend. That is basically what it earned in the US over the 3 day weekend. Though BotFA will be a lot more frontloaded in China than US, DoS opening weekend accounted for 44.2% of it's entire gross. If BotFA follows that, then it will earn between $115-$125m in China. Will fall short of $1 billion worldwide.

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 10:57am

Post #2 of 63 (1251 views)
Shortcut
BotFA Heading to $950-$960m worldwide [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be the lowest grosser of the 3, however, this film has been hit a lot more than the other 2 by a bad exchange rate. Admissions wise, this will have far more than DoS and a year ago would have easily flown past $1 billion worldwide.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 11:01am

Post #3 of 63 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Very good (yet not enough) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to wait till weekend numbers to open a thread but why not. Wink

Yeah, weekend should be around $50m. Hopefully, saturday increase will at least mimic DOS's 2nd day jump.

I have still not totally written off $1b but it looks like it's time to let go. *lol* Like you said, legs ain't good in China (4 new releases open next week) and it would need over $160m for $1b to happen. Oh, well...

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 24 2015, 11:04am)

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 12:45pm

Post #4 of 63 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Yes think $1billion is very much dead now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wanted to wait till weekend numbers to open a thread but why not. Wink

Yeah, weekend should be around $50m. Hopefully, saturday increase will at least mimic DOS's 2nd day jump.

I have still not totally written off $1b but it looks like it's time to let go. *lol* Like you said, legs ain't good in China (4 new releases open next week) and it would need over $160m for $1b to happen. Oh, well...

Hobbit film's have had around x8 multiplyer of opening day in China (so far). So would need a miracle in China. Probably $170m. Think the main target for BotFA now is to make sure it earns more than DoS worldwide. That's not looking that easy.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2015, 1:00pm

Post #5 of 63 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Well that should teach the studios... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that shorter Middle-earth films aren't necessarily going to fare better than their longer counterparts, regardless of what the critics have to say about length. I feel this last film could have been so much better with a few more minutes dedicated to wrapping it up satisfactorily.

Oh well. Lost chance, lesson learnt.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jan 24 2015, 1:00pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 1:29pm

Post #6 of 63 (1121 views)
Shortcut
That sounds really good to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone can be disappointed with that, given the exchange rates, and how much films in general struggle to get anywhere near such good box-office figures!Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 1:40pm

Post #7 of 63 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to have done so much better on its opening day in China than DoS and still the handwringing and the 'oh dear, not so good then....' I doubt if anyone involved with the film is feeling so down!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 2:02pm

Post #8 of 63 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much right in line with what I predicted [In reply to] Can't Post

If you will recall, I predicted that China would be about $120 million. If it follows the same pattern as the previous two (~ OD x8) it will be right around that.
As you say, very good, but not explosive, or enough to put 1 billion in play.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

greenbalrog
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 2:09pm

Post #9 of 63 (1081 views)
Shortcut
I agree, ends too quickly, not enough resolve, who disagrees and why? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like BOFA, but I too think it ended too quickly and with not enough resolve. We (the fans) know that more will come with the EE edition, but not necessarily the large majority of people who watched the movie.

I'll take the opportunity to add that it's not even a length issue. I'm convinced that you could produce an equivalent experience with only 2h. It's the battle scenes, they're too long and repetitive at places. You could definitely take some of that fluff and add some more dialog and some other important scenes that were left out to come only in the EE. And you'd end up with a completely satisfying 2:45 movie.

I mean, is there anybody here who disagrees? If so, I would be very much interested in knowing why.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2015, 3:01pm

Post #10 of 63 (1043 views)
Shortcut
There are many... [In reply to] Can't Post

The flip side of "not resolving" subplots, is focus. In the case of the final scenes of Bo5A, focus on Bilbo, The Hobbit.

I also did not feel a lack of resolution - I have not been told what all the more major characters are going to do with the rest of their lives, but from what we have seen, we can conclude easily that

-the Laketowners settle in Dale, and are at peace with the Dwarves,
-the Dwarves remain in possession of Erebor, and other than the obvious, onscreen exceptions, the remaining members of the Company lived,
-Legolas goes out into the world,
-Thranduil moves into a new and better phase of his grief for his wife,
-Thranduil and Tauriel reach an understanding after all the drama.

DjU
Lorien

Jan 24 2015, 3:07pm

Post #11 of 63 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Bit of an odd statement... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... that shorter Middle-earth films aren't necessarily going to fare better than their longer counterparts, regardless of what the critics have to say about length. I feel this last film could have been so much better with a few more minutes dedicated to wrapping it up satisfactorily.

Oh well. Lost chance, lesson learnt.

Not sure what much of that has to do with what the OP said? It all seems like a bit of non sequitur. Did you even read his second post?

It is generally accepted that BOTFA is PERFORMING better than DOS it is just EARNING less than it due to variations in exchange rate and economies. Had it been release last year it would of been a 95% certainty it would have broke the billion mark and been close to rivalling the performance of AUJ.

Not sure where the length of it is coming in to the equation here? It could have been 15 minutes longer but still sold the same amount of tickets, that not going to magically make the box office rise?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 3:37pm

Post #12 of 63 (1058 views)
Shortcut
It would have beaten AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure with last year's exhange rates it would have done about $780m overseas ($1035m worldwide) and thus beaten AUJ. Oh, well, a decade ago ROTK profited from exchange rates, i guess it's fate balancing things out...

In Reply To
It is generally accepted that BOTFA is PERFORMING better than DOS it is just EARNING less than it due to variations in exchange rate and economies. Had it been release last year it would of been a 95% certainty it would have broke the billion mark and been close to rivalling the performance of AUJ.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 3:40pm

Post #13 of 63 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The studio will be crying all the way to the bank. They won't mind if it doesn't reach 1 billion. They will go way over that with DVD and EE DVD and all the merchandise.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2015, 4:08pm

Post #14 of 63 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Peace! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking at this situation rather more holistically. Regardless of inflation and whatever else financiers account for, the fact of the matter is that the film zooms by without much resolution except for Bilbo getting back home safe and sound.

The reason I spoke to the length is because I recall reading that the studios wanted a shorter film because of critical reviews in the past concerning length, and so theaters could have more showings and sell more tickets. Obviously neither helped. But I may be completely wrong in my deductions and in reading between the lines. It wouldn't be the first time Smile

Cheers!

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 4:23pm

Post #15 of 63 (1112 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

that Friday took $17m. One of the places that noted this - and seemed pretty impressed by it - was RA's tweet, quoting the Chinese RA fan board:

“@RAA_China: Congrats to @TheHobbitMovie for 104 million CNY total box office at the first day releasing in China!!! ”

This converts to just a tad under $17m.

https://twitter.com/...s/558642419533508610

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 4:24pm

Post #16 of 63 (1012 views)
Shortcut
If more people have chosen to see the final film [In reply to] Can't Post

Than the first two, and it is simply the exchange rate which has reduced the $ amount, though, then how would that invalidate any decisions made in the pursuit of popularity?

I say "if," as I haven't calculated it myself, so have that as a caveat, but creative decisions can't do more than get more people through the door - exchange rates are beyond their bailiwick.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:31pm

Post #17 of 63 (979 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering BOFA is touted as one of the films that gave a moribund box office a last-minute boost. Nobody anyplace that I have found has written in connection with BOFA the dreaded phrases "surprising flop/fail/underperformed/bomb".

If this is to be the end, it has been such an endHeart! (But I hope not re wanting a mega director cutCool)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:44pm

Post #18 of 63 (980 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Just sayin' as I am no fan of the machine-gun pace of the film....don't suppose it affects (probably) resolutions but a lot was chopped to keep the PG rating, and perhaps that affected the flow of the film as well.

Also - tho it's not an issue on this board - the ending is harsh. One could argue that it's not something that affects films' success re the Hunger Games etc., but still, I wonder...it's not like a feel-good ending where Indiana Jones rides off into the sunset. E.g. affecting repeat views, maybe.Unsure Especially re younger children.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 5:46pm

Post #19 of 63 (969 views)
Shortcut
I Got You First Time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything I have heard and read is that after the first movie Sir Peter has been under pressure to react to two criticisms the films need faster pacing and to keep the running time down. DOS was considered better by those critics than AUJ and BOFA as well.

Faster pacing and shorter running times have not made any huge affect on general audience numbers nor improve the general feeling about the films.

As deep fans who lap up middle earth I think many are like
the more casual fan who didn't quite feel the film finished conclusively. I am not talking about Morgul Blade/Radagast and staff/Beorn/The Neckless/Just a general sense of a lack general resolution which given they had 8 hours is fascinating.

Ironically I was most engaged with this film because of what it did do (not didn't do) it gave us a very strong focus on certain individual characters and to use Evangeline's phrase ripped your heart out.

Everything else maybe unclear around them but we knew where Bilbo Thorin and Gandalf rested.

It seems its difficult some times for people to recognise when a point is being in the third person about how these films have been received and how the film makers have reacted which is quite separate from our personal expectations and wishes.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 6:18pm

Post #20 of 63 (974 views)
Shortcut
Took Estimated 117m yuan ($18.77m) on Saturday in China [In reply to] Can't Post

Total after two days currently stands at $33.67 (more than DoS earned for entire weekend). Saturday actuals will be released later (which could be more). Friday first estimates were 81m yuan, though actuals showed it at 93m yuan. On track for $48-$50m weekend now.

(This post was edited by anthonyroy on Jan 24 2015, 6:19pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jan 24 2015, 6:25pm

Post #21 of 63 (961 views)
Shortcut
I'll admit there was a lot of beheading in this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

But by their very definition, I thought the neckless got quite enough resolution! Tongue

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 6:36pm

Post #22 of 63 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately Richard retweeted false information [In reply to] Can't Post

One of Richard's fans tweeted out false information, which got retweeted by Richard's official account, which of course made it widely disseminated. Those numbers are pure moonshine, at least according to the people who post in the boxoffice.com China thread, who have access to the correct information.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 6:46pm

Post #23 of 63 (955 views)
Shortcut
I'm one of those people in that thread :D. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of Richard's fans tweeted out false information, which got retweeted by Richard's official account, which of course made it widely disseminated. Those numbers are pure moonshine, at least according to the people who post in the boxoffice.com China thread, who have access to the correct information.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 7:03pm

Post #24 of 63 (948 views)
Shortcut
I had a feeling you were [In reply to] Can't Post

It was amusing to watch the euphoria, followed by the coming back to Earth. At least the actual number was higher than the original estimated number. Hopefully that will be true for Saturday as well.

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Jan 24 2015, 7:04pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 8:32pm

Post #25 of 63 (892 views)
Shortcut
Well, my mistake. [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I wonder if there's anything going on, some kind of tricky accounting, as with the cheating of the Tolkien Estate over LotR? How do the studios know exactly what the box office is in 'foreign' countries. especially when it's a secret and closed one, like China. Have they any way of checking on whether the figures that they are given are correct, or is it all down to trust? Just musing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.