The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarf Lines

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Jan 24 2015, 5:52am

Post #1 of 11 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf Lines Can't Post

My favorite part about The Hobbit book has always been the dwarves. Maybe that stems from watching the old Rankin/Bass cartoon my whole life, but anyway, the dwarves were the part of the story I was most excited to see on screen. And I definitely was not disappointed. I loved their designs and their personalities and everything like that.

The one thing I felt they could've done better, however, was distributing lines of dialogue as equally amongst the company as possible. Because I'm so crazy, I went through and counted the number of lines of dialogue each dwarf has in the first two movies (extended editions).

What follows is the result of my obsessiveness. For obvious reasons, I didn't count Thorin's lines. I listened very carefully and I counted as accurately as I could (I think). These don't count shouts or grunts or other random noises. These are only the discernible lines of dialogue that each dwarf spoke in the movies. I hope at least one or two of you finds it interesting.

AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Dwalin: 33
Balin: 30
Kili: 27
Fili: 18
Dori: 13
Nori: 6
Ori: 9
Oin: 16
Gloin: 10
Bifur: 2
Bofur: 30
Bombur: 0

THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
Dwalin: 43
Balin: 44
Kili: 20
Fili: 12
Dori: 12
Nori: 7
Ori: 5
Oin: 13
Gloin: 9
Bifur: 1
Bofur: 26
Bombur: 0

I think by looking at this it's easy to tell who the writers favored in the company of Thorin Oakenshield.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

Timdalf
Rivendell

Jan 24 2015, 1:56pm

Post #2 of 11 (567 views)
Shortcut
Better numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

I have transcriptions of the two films in my computer... So all I need to do is, for example, put Dwalin: in Find and I come up with 42 lines. Lines being defined as actual complete speeches by each character. These transcripts are based on the subtitles.

Doing this I come up with:
AUJ
Dwalin: 42
Balin: 41
Bofur: 36
Kili: 34
Fili: 17
Dori: 22
Nori: 8
Ori: 9
Oin: 14
Gloin: 22
Bifur: 1
Bombur: 2

DOS
Dwalin: 53
Balin: 57
Bofur: 33
Kili: 28
Fili: 14
Dori: 16
Nori: 7
Ori: 7
Oin: 13
Gloin: 13
Bifur: 0
Bombur: 1

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Jan 24 2015, 1:58pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 2:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (513 views)
Shortcut
Would it also be possible to put in [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo, Elrond, Galadriel
Thranny, Leggy, Tauriel & Bard..TOO?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 2:52pm

Post #4 of 11 (515 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen these? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://lotrproject.com/...ed-journey-measured/

http://lotrproject.com/...desolation-of-smaug/

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 2:57pm

Post #5 of 11 (507 views)
Shortcut
This might be of interest to you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTRProject have run the numbers on the dialogue from AUJ and DOS.

You can find the graphs for AUJ here, and DOS here.

Looks like I was beaten to it by a (fox's) whisker!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 24 2015, 2:58pm)

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Jan 24 2015, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 11 (482 views)
Shortcut
Question... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo, Elrond, Galadriel
Thranny, Leggy, Tauriel & Bard..TOO?

Who are Thranny and Leggy? Are they related to Thranduil and Legolas at all?

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Jan 24 2015, 3:49pm

Post #7 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkThranny is Thranduils dragpersona and Leggy is Legolas's hot cousin with damn long shins.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 11 (445 views)
Shortcut
I wish they'd given Bombur some lines, it doesn't seem fair... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 5:00pm

Post #9 of 11 (473 views)
Shortcut
I don't know....... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bombur was a nod in the direction of the greats of silent film - Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplain, Buster Keaton. It was his physical presence that made him distinctive. I don't think he really needed to say anything and it might have made him more ordinary if he had. He was warm and funny and you couldn't miss him - I think that was the point.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 5:33pm

Post #10 of 11 (439 views)
Shortcut
dmouse is Right! That was talked about elsewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

BUT? We may YET!
PJ holds back some things...

Example people have noted that Bifur's AXE in the Head
is Gone in the Good-Bye scene...

SSOoo..surprizzzzes are in Store in the EE.!

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 10:28pm

Post #11 of 11 (369 views)
Shortcut
I agree D M [In reply to] Can't Post

As you know I have a view about the Dwarf numbers but in my reduced numbers I include Bombur for the reasons you stated.

What is fascinating is the Balin/Bard/Bilbo distribution in DOS. We know in the two film split the rapprochement between Thorin and Bilbo occurs at the end of the barrels.

I wonder whether having filmed the majority of DOS from Beorn to Barrels in 2012 that some of Bilbo's dialogue was lost as being out of keeping with the tough guy BIbo post Carrock.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.