sad news to share
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 2:46am

Post #1 of 45 (849 views)
Shortcut
sad news to share Can't Post

Some of you may remember one of my fellow Minnesota TORnsibs, Hobbitlove, along with her husband, ordinaryhobbit and her daughter, Love horses.

I just spoke with ordinaryhobbit and with his permission I'm sharing the news that Hobbitlove passed away this afternoon after a heart attack on Sunday.

Many of you have met her. More of you knew her passion in discussing Tolkien, her favorite character Frodo, and the LOTR movies. She loved TORn and all the people on it. I know she held so many of you in high regard because she spoke of it often.

I wrote this just today in the FF thread: As wonderful as the movies were and as much as I fell in love with them and the writings of Tolkien... they would have been but a shadow in my life compared to how awesome... AWESOME.. my friends in Tolkien have been in my life.

Hob was one of my friends in Tolkien. She was a warm, exuberant person and I feel blessed to have known her. My heart goes out to her family who I know will miss her terribly. She was a truly remarkable woman and it's hard to realize we'll never meet again.

For anyone would like more details they can contact me by email or PM.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 24 2015, 2:59am)

Asclepias
Rivendell

Jan 24 2015, 2:49am

Post #2 of 45 (507 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not here often anymore, but I remember Hobbitlove.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 2:54am

Post #3 of 45 (525 views)
Shortcut
NO! Oh Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

They are the most delightful family... and she... this is so sad.

Thank you for letting us know... but oh...

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 2:54am

Post #4 of 45 (490 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Hobbitlove and her posts, which I always enjoyed reading. Deepest sympathy to her family, and to you too, Magpie and others here who knew her, for you have lost a dear friend. X

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 3:06am

Post #5 of 45 (545 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitlove [In reply to] Can't Post

In NYC Radio City Music Hall moot with David Salo, Hob & Friend

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 3:08am

Post #6 of 45 (484 views)
Shortcut
I do believe I remember Hobbitlove, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

in Olden Board days (?) (when I rarely wandered out of Greenbooks to check on other things, and under other nicks). I recall a lovely, warm lady who loved Frodo.

My best to her family, and to you, and peace to her.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 24 2015, 3:09am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 3:15am

Post #7 of 45 (509 views)
Shortcut
gramma, you're making me cry [In reply to] Can't Post

I just sent that picture to Brethil by PM.

David Salo wrote his name in Elvish and I was enchanted by it. He took off his name tag and gave it to me.

That's Hob in the middle. I'm sure she said that David Salo was just 'Brilliant'.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 3:22am

Post #8 of 45 (495 views)
Shortcut
correction [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just found a brief listing of Hob's death online and she died on Wed., not today. I got that wrong.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 3:33am

Post #9 of 45 (498 views)
Shortcut
--- [In reply to] Can't Post

me too, mm. I can't stop crying. That was such a great night, and he really was brilliant and generous. Everyone had so much fun... and I kept pinching myself to make sure it was real.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 4:05am

Post #10 of 45 (470 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember her nick on the old boards, "HobbitLoveR*M-e", very well.

A sad goodbye to a long-time Tornsib.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:30am

Post #11 of 45 (488 views)
Shortcut
I am so saddened by this news [In reply to] Can't Post

She was a very warm, loving dear friend to Mrs. sil and our son and i, spending time together at RCMH, Central Park and at a old church in southern Manhattan where Greendragon sang.
We were hoping to meet there yet again soon. We will miss her dearly, and i offer my loving condolences to Ordinary Hobbit and Loves Horses, who are warm and dear people as well. May she find peace for she is so deserving. And may her family find peace as well, celebrating her life which she lived with meaning and with joy.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:56am

Post #12 of 45 (477 views)
Shortcut
There was ComicCon as well [In reply to] Can't Post

at the TORn party

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2015, 6:44am

Post #13 of 45 (458 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news. [In reply to] Can't Post

She will be missed by all who knew her.

Thanks for letting us know, Magpie.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 10:44am

Post #14 of 45 (444 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in shock. We corresponded at Christmas and I loved receiving her cheery letter.

OhioHobbit and I send our deepest sympathy to OrdinaryHobbit, Loves Horses, and her other children and her grandchildren. A beautiful light has gone from this world. We first met her at Indymoot back in 2004. Her loving friendship was a joy to our lives.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 11:28am

Post #15 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry, Magpie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

For you, for her family, for all those here who knew and will miss her.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 11:29am

Post #16 of 45 (441 views)
Shortcut
No worries, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just so grateful to know. A card is on the way for her sweet family.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 12:50pm

Post #17 of 45 (431 views)
Shortcut
Our thoughts are with her family and friends. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is said that sorrow shared is sorrow halved.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 1:41pm

Post #18 of 45 (441 views)
Shortcut
so sorry to hear this, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

My heart goes out to her family, and to you, and to all the others who were blessed with meeting her. I never did, but recognize her as a Torn member and faithful fan, and know she will be missed.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 3:18pm

Post #19 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
My condolences to her family and friends. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never got to meet her but I do remember her posts here on TORn. I recall her joyfulness about everything Middle Earth. And that is a good way to be remembered: joyful.
May she rest in joyful peace.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 3:40pm

Post #20 of 45 (446 views)
Shortcut
Her posts were always such a joy... [In reply to] Can't Post

She was filled with exuberance, you are right!

I just spent some time looking through her posts, which are still available via the search function. Scrolling through them was very moving to me, I could not help but smile revisiting all the emotion and feeling and heartfeltness in that woman and how she managed to make it flow out of her and into words and images on a computer screen. It was always fun to see how her mind worked and the way she expressed herself was a delight. I never met her in person but I bet a hug from her would be grand, she overflowed with life, if I can put it that way.

Whether you knew Hobbitlove or not, I highly recommend checking out some of her posts, as a tribute to her. TORn gave her a place to share her gifts and her heart with people from all over the world. Here is a just one example: Valentine's Day wishes. This is one of her sillier and shorter posts, but she led many fine discussions on the LOTR Movie Board when we migrated to this new site a few years ago, and those are real gems to check out too. Her replies to people are just as enjoyable to read...she had such a nice way of making everyone feel good about being part of this place.

My heart goes out to her family, and I am grateful for the time I spent with her on TORn. She was one of those people who made you feel "renewed" every time you connected with her, and that is something to remember, honor, emulate and treasure.

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 3:55pm

Post #21 of 45 (440 views)
Shortcut
Two thread series that she led with ordinaryhobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Questions That Need Answering
Lyrics Discussions

They found insights into the lyrics that I had missed after all the time I'd spent studying them. In fact, I believe some of what she wrote is quoted on my website.

They also led the "Designing Middle-earth" portion of the LOTR Appendices discussion.

I also went back last night and read some of their report on the NY RCMH adventure.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 3:57pm

Post #22 of 45 (447 views)
Shortcut
She was a joul among Hobbits. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw her last at Minnehaha Falls with the traveling statue of Gandalf the Grey. She was an easy person to love. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:08pm

Post #23 of 45 (419 views)
Shortcut
thanks for posting those links... [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right about the insights in her posts...what I loved is that the way she wrote allowed you to follow her along on the discovery of deeper and bigger and wiser things..so you could experience that kind of discovery with her. That's was just so much part of who she was, it was a treat when she took you along with her!

I wanted to find one post that was representative of her to post, but it was too hard! She said so many neat things in so many ways it was hard to pick just one! It was good to take the sentimental journey to check out a lot of them...

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 4:41pm

Post #24 of 45 (429 views)
Shortcut
I remember that day [In reply to] Can't Post

(and all the confusion from that weekend).

She was an easy person to love, KS. You're so apt in saying that.

I was just looking at the photos from that day.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 4:55pm

Post #25 of 45 (422 views)
Shortcut
I didn't share them at the time....... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's lovely to read them. She sounds a very special person, and the atmosphere around those posts is so good-humoured, warm and encouraging. Peace to her now, and I'm thankful her words live on.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.