The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
The Witch-king of Angmar vs Thranduil

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 23 2015, 9:14pm

Post #1 of 8 (6542 views)
Shortcut
The Witch-king of Angmar vs Thranduil Can't Post

So...who do you think would win a one on one battle?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 5:02am

Post #2 of 8 (6470 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd be too fast and I doubt the Nazgul's fear aura would affect him like it does Men.

lastnickleft
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 1:52am

Post #3 of 8 (6444 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

The fear Nazgul causes has no effect on powerful enough foes, let aside an Elven Lord. Then, regarding combat skills, I think Thranduil would be pefectly capable of destroying the "physical" form of the Witch-King, but not the spirit.

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 4:48am

Post #4 of 8 (6460 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil vs. Witch King [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, since the only reason Merry and Eowyn were able to destroy the Witch King's spirit in addition to his physical form was because Merry's blade was an enchanted blade of Westernesse built for destroying the Witch King of Angmar. However, it is possible that the Witch King could overcome Thranduil, although unlikely. The Witch King's guard would be up since he knows that Thranduil is a powerful Sindarin elven-king, perhaps second only to Celeborn of Lothlorien among the Sindarin Elves of Middle Earth. Also, it is arguable that without Merry's attack from behind, the Witch King would have slayed Eowyn, and suffered little injury other than the loss of his Winged Beast. This is a possible explanation for the Witch King's loss: the infamous double team. The sole might of King Thranduil could be enough to subdue the Witch King, but it is hard to say. All told I would place my money on Thranduil, but an aroused and wary Witch King could potentially prevail.

lastnickleft
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 5:17am

Post #5 of 8 (6468 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of skill at arms, I think they are pretty balanced, since both have fought in many wars and are of very similar body size and strength, though I see Thranduil, at least the film versions, as swifter than the Witch-King.
Speaking about magic, it's also tight. Though the WK is acknowledged as an incredibly powerful dark sorcerer, second only to Sauron in TA, Thranduil weild also great power. He is a very old elf, about 7000 years, and remember that he was the only elven lord in TA who stood still (meaning the survival of his realm) without a ring of power; that's something that could be partially acknowledge to his people, but also to the wisdom and power of his lord. Remember the magic gates of the halls, they opened and closed at king's will, and at king's will only (I think that it would have required a sorcerer of greater power than Thranuduil to bring them down), and that alone is a proof of his eldarin power.
So, at the end, though very tight, I would put my money on Thranduil, even if it's just by his great age and experience.

(This post was edited by lastnickleft on Jan 27 2015, 5:18am)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 8 (6421 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised... [In reply to] Can't Post

...everyone puts his money on Thranduil. In The Return of the King (even the book) it is made clear that even Gandalf, as the White, more or less fears Angmar.
The most common argument I read in this thread is Thranduil's ''agility''. Of course, he is much more agile than Angmar, but would this really automatically make him win?
I think Legolas, as Thranduil's son, would not be much less powerful as the Elven king.and (in the movie universe) he has to go thrue a whole lot of trouble to defeat a ''mere'' orc (Bolg). That makes me believe that, at least in the movie universe, Legolas would be bested by Angmar. And if Angmar is able to beat Legolas he is, at least, a very, very serious match for Thranduil.

Sooo...as fabulous and powerful as Thranduil is, I think he would still be beaten by Angmar in single combat.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2015, 3:47am

Post #7 of 8 (5927 views)
Shortcut
Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil could not fulfill the prophecy.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

lastnickleft
The Shire

Oct 24 2015, 4:16am

Post #8 of 8 (4169 views)
Shortcut
You have to consider magic power also [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really think that Legolas power is so close to Thranduil's.
Thranduil is a lot, and I mean, a lot older than Legolas. And perhaps the most striking difference is magic power. If you read my reasons from above post you'll see what I'm talking about.
Regarding martial power of film versions, film Thranduil is larger than Legolas, of a very similar size of the Witch-King, so I guess he'll proportionally have more strenght and endurance than Legolas.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.