Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will we ever see Beorn in Dol Guldur after all?

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 23 2015, 8:46pm

Post #1 of 9 (6220 views)
Shortcut
Will we ever see Beorn in Dol Guldur after all? Can't Post

I've been pondering for the last two years whether we will ever get to see Beorn involved in the Dol Guldur subplot.

Not that it was necessary but:

His participation in the attack seemed plausible after several shots of Mikael Persbrandt in full makeup and with several wounds and bruises were shown numerous times in the behind the scenes of The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition.

I'm still haunted by Radagast's words in one of the video production blog's where he says to Gandalf: "Go after him?"

After who? Having seen TBOTFA we can now be certain that that scene which was shot occurs right after the Brown saves the Grey from Dol Guldur.

So was Beorn actually present during the "attack" on the ruined fortress?

I remember there was a Lego product released for The Desolation of Smaug entitled "Dol Guldur Ambush": featuring Beorn himself and some orcs in Dol Guldur.

Has this got anything to do with the once rumoured interrogation scene Persbrandt talked about - as being very "embarassing"?

The product description states the following:

At the fortress ruins of Dol Guldur the Gundabad Orcs lie in wait for Beorn with their weapons...

Could Beorn have been captured and taken by the orcs at some point - hence the "ambush"?

Perhaps that's how he got his bruises ... unless we'll get Beorn covered in wounds after the Battle of the Five Armies (hopefully in the Extended Editions) ...

And what about his combat axe? Seen here:

It's different from the wood-chopping one he uses in DOS:EE ... we never got to see that either (and it seems he doesn't use it in BOTFA either - so perhaps in Dol Guldur?)

Questions ... questions that need answering!

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jan 23 2015, 8:50pm)

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 24 2015, 1:51am

Post #2 of 9 (5485 views)
Shortcut
I am very curious about this too, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was definitely filmed, and hinted by Beorn's speech in his house, which I personally didn't like at all, since it doesn't make any sense. First because an orc pack led by Azog didn't have courage to confront him alone, second because we know his strength from the book and from the battle.

I think it is a scrapped scenario, but unfortunately that speech from DOS remained. At last, any Beorn is better than nothing, so since we saw so little of him, I wouldn't mind showing all that they have.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 7:25am

Post #3 of 9 (5509 views)
Shortcut
All I can recall about it from the Weta Chronicles... [In reply to] Can't Post

is a paragraph referring to Radagast taking the injured Gandalf away from DG on the bunny sled which Involved a chase through DG and bursting out at a lower level - and the phrasing was "at one time" this also involved helping Beorn escape, who was also being held captive there.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

chris10112
Bree

Jan 24 2015, 11:10am

Post #4 of 9 (5375 views)
Shortcut
Okay, then [In reply to] Can't Post

This would make sense.

I guess the original plan might have been to have Beorn go to Dol Guldur for some reason (maybe at the behest of Gandalf when he decides to go to the High Fells after the conversation before Mirkwood?) and be captured, as in the LEGO set, get tortured in Dol Guldur by prosthetic Bolg, and then be rescued by the White Council along with Gandalf. Then Gandalf/Radagast/Beorn could escape to Rhosgobel together where they could discuss the oncoming orc armies. Which would, come to think of it, be a much better set-up for Beorn's appearance in the Five Armies than the "you must gather our friends" we actually got.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 9 (5283 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't aware of this possible plot line....doesn't make sense to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't fathom why Beorn would be involved in Dol Guldur. I would rather have seen a more extensive White Council with support from Lothlorien and Rivendell forces.

BeornofHouseMormont

Jan 24 2015, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 9 (5258 views)
Shortcut
From What I Can Tell [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a good chance of this happening in the EE. I remember watching the press conference the cast and crew did after the premiere in London, and paying close attention to any mention of Beorn. At some point during the Q&A a fan (Swedish if I recall correctly) asked Peter what the deal was with Beorn's role in BOTFA, and why he decided to focus more on the Orc generals and less on Beorn breaking through the armies of Orcs. The fan said that he had met up with Peter a year earlier when he was doing the promotional tour for DOS, and that Peter said that there would be more Beorn in BOTFA, to which Peter said that there was more Beorn in BOTFA but footage that was not necessarily from the book. Also, it seems whenever Peter is asked about what extra content will be in the EE of BOTFA, his first reaction is always that "there will be some more Beorn stuff". So I'm just going to keep my hopes up and keep on counting down the days until the EE is released. Hopefully Beorn's storyline wasn't completely removed from the shift of 2 movies to 3, I still wish we would have had a shot of that Orc head on a spike, and the full context of the line "He talked his head off" that we hear in the bonud features of DOS.

This is my first post on here so be gentle haha

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 25 2015, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 9 (5144 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the forum! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd primarily like to see a bit more of Beorn during the battle, and towards the end of the film (funeral?), and also I'd love it if Bilbo and Gandalf visited his lovely home towards the end, and had some character moments…Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 6:42pm

Post #8 of 9 (5163 views)
Shortcut
Yes to all of these.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Much as I love the film as it is, it still surprises that they passed up on the opportunity to have a giant bear crashing into the battle. So distinctive, dramatic, and do-able these days. There also a lovely concept sketch by John Howe in the Chronicles book which shows Beorn carrying Thorin. I wish....

But it is in the battle where I'd most like to see extended scenes of him - and I love the idea of the visit to his house on the homeward journey (though I think that's less likely to happen). I can't imagine why he'd be at Dol Guldur: it seemed so geared towards Rings and Ringbearers that there doesn't seem to be a place where he would fit (unless he's looking after Gandlaf's hat! Wink )

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 14 2015, 6:30pm

Post #9 of 9 (4344 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like we'll never see this stuff. Hopefully they include a glimpse in the behind the scenes documentaries. With 30 minutes spent on it, I'm sure they'll dwell into quite a bit of it.

It's interesting that they never used Cumberbatch's mocap, I would have thought that would be a big part of the EE considering his fanbase.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.