Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 60 (523 views)
Shortcut
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!! Can't Post

Greetings to one and all!! I'll be your server for the day as RL has called our lovely Altaira to duty.

So been to see THE MOVIE yet? *sigh* Sadly, yesterday was the last day it showed at my rather awesome theatre. So ends the last chapter of an amazing run! But we still have the dvd/eedvd to look forward to. Then… who knows?

So do tell… WHO did you go with…WHAT did you wear and/or eating…WHERE did you going to see it…and WHEN do you think you'll recover from the emotional and historic end of this incredible run of Middle-earth films? My last count was 27 viewings.

*grabs glass* Now… for Drinks!!! What'll ya have?

**Kicks Jukebox* This is dedicated to Peter Jackson as he travels from Middle-earth to new horizons. We wish you well, dear sir! On my way by Rusted Root

From Peter in Billy's Song:

With your blessing I will go
To turn at last to paths that lead home
And though where the road then takes me
I cannot tell
We came all this way
But now comes the day
To bid you farewell

I bid you all a very fond farewell.

sample

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 23 2015, 5:08pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 5:09pm

Post #2 of 60 (401 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Winter break! Yay! Sadly, I haven't been able to celebrate: I've been in bed with a nasty cold for two days now. Frown

Have a nice weekend, everyone, and stay healthy! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 60 (387 views)
Shortcut
No! That's not fair!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're only supposed to get sick during school or work time! I'm so sorry :( I hope you feel better immediately... if not sooner!

I swear by Zicam! I always take it when I'm travelling to ward off those cooties... or take it when I'm sick, and it lessens the symptoms and time sick.

Take care!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 5:23pm

Post #4 of 60 (384 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Though maybe it's for the better: at least I don't have worry about falling behind with my studies.

Thanks, gramma!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 5:54pm

Post #5 of 60 (389 views)
Shortcut
Hey, gramma! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

27 times already?? Wow. (I've only been twice, LOL... :) )

As for what I was wearing and who I was with, the first time I went with my best friend (yep, the same one who introduced me to The Lord Of The Rings in the first place! :) ), and-- as mentioned before-- I wore this outfit. :) Second time was with my parents, who have both enjoyed all the movies right alongside me (although I'm the actual fan in the family, of course, LOL :D ). What a journey!

I'll have a Winter Usual, please; thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 5:56pm

Post #6 of 60 (382 views)
Shortcut
Hey Evey!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Adding a bit o' hot chocolate to your Miruvor :)

I SO wish my Mom would get into these movies! She watched FotR for me once at home and said she liked it... but she's a gentle enabler. Doesn't mind feeding my obsession, but not really interested in adopting it ;)

Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 60 (384 views)
Shortcut
*HANGS OUT SELF-SERVE SIGN* [In reply to] Can't Post

This should hold you for a spell :) Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!! STAY SAFE!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 5:58pm

Post #8 of 60 (388 views)
Shortcut
Good morning, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we've seen The Movie! Cool I saw it twice on opening day at our awesome theater, the Cooper Continental, with the wide screen and the fancy pants sound system.

It's funny. As much of a critic of these films that I am, I still find myself feeling a bit of melancholy that it's over. And I know I'll have the same reaction (or I'll just bawl like a baby) when the day comes that they close down the LOTR Online game that I play.

This has been another excruciatingly slow week at work. I hope it picks up soon before I fritter away all of my PTO. I need to save a few days for The Party in February.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 6:03pm

Post #9 of 60 (389 views)
Shortcut
This household has gone 7 days without a calamity! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo-hoo!

Not only have there been no calamities for 7 days... I'm feeling much better (from the shingles). I'm still on ibuprofen but now at the recommended doses instead of the more often doses. And I'm still only wearing soft cotton shirts (and shh... no bra... not even to work). I tell you, I love soft cotton knit shirts so much I don't throw them out till they're rags. And I don't mean 'raggedy'... I still have them when they're 'raggedy'. I mean rags. They have proven useful the last few week.

The floaters in my eye are no worse and *may* be a little better. I'm working on ignoring the 'movement catching my attention' there isn't really anything worthy of attention I have to work at. 'oh... flock of starlings. no... floaters.' 'I need to brush of my hair away from face. no... that's floaters.'

I also realized last night that our intention to go see Intersteller around the holidays went unrealized. And my intention to see The Hobbit again went unrealized. I'm guessing both are gone from the first run theaters and it may be too soon for the second run theaters. Unfortunately, when The Hobbit I and II came to my neighborhood second run theater, they've put it late - after 9:00. And as long as it is, I don't want to go out that late and be coming home that late.

The time I saw BOTFA was at a matinee by myself. I haven't written a 'review/reaction' to the movie because I wanted to see it a second time. But regardless of how I felt about the movie, when Billy started singing at the end... I felt the 'goodbye... this is the end.' quite keenly. He ends that song with "I bid you all a very fond farewell" I knew they were all talking to us... the fans. And I cried.

The Hobbit was not a repeat of my LOTR experiences. But it doesn't stop me from realizing it's connected to my LOTR experience and that ... was a most spectacular experience. I am grateful for all the facets of that experience and the movies was the biggest face of those facets.

It feels like I'm switching topics back to my opening one but maybe not. I wanted to be sure to thank everyone who wished me well during my calamitous month and a half... either in these FF threads or privately. Sharing my stories helped me get out of my head and find the humor in the situations (the Mister and I are pretty good at that sometimes, even if it's a kind of dark humor).

But this isn't switching topics suddenly because the topic is "all the wonderful parts of Tolkien fandom" and you guys are a huge part of that too. In fact, as wonderful as the movies were and as much as I fell in love with them and the writings of Tolkien... they would have been but a shadow in my life compared to how awesome... AWESOME.. my friends in Tolkien have been in my life.

AWESOME
had to go look up the code for big text to make sure you were all paying attention. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2015, 6:17pm

Post #10 of 60 (385 views)
Shortcut
Four times here! [In reply to] Can't Post

The last was with my daughter and her roomie, on a visit out here from Chicago. They'd never been to a theater with huge recliner seats before! Nor had they seen the movie...and the roomie had never seen ANY of the six movies!

So: we watched them, in order, all EE's except for BotFA, starting from AUJ to RotK. She said they all tied together well, and interestingly, she thought the "pacing" of the Hobbit EE's better than that of the LotR EE's.

Oh yes, I am so looking forward to the BotFA EE! Heart

I'll brew up a fresh pot of coffee here. Got to grocery-shop on the way home, then hunker down, we've got a right spot of messy snow/rain/ice hitting us tomorrow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2015, 6:19pm

Post #11 of 60 (379 views)
Shortcut
Aw, Evie... [In reply to] Can't Post

You had a properly hobbity viewing, LOL! Wonderful!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2015, 6:21pm

Post #12 of 60 (440 views)
Shortcut
Colds are no fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sending you some virtual home-made chicken soup (with carrots, kale, and egg noodles along with big chunks of chicken), hope you're feeling better before too long!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 6:52pm

Post #13 of 60 (376 views)
Shortcut
Aw. [In reply to] Can't Post

...Well, at least she's supportive, right? :)

Thanks again! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2015, 6:52pm

Post #14 of 60 (383 views)
Shortcut
It was my first week back at work after a fortnight's leave [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll take whatever alcoholic drink is nearest.

On the plus side it's Saturday, it's sunny, and I'm spending the day at my local park to watch a one-day cricket semi-final with a dear friend. That gets both a Woo and a Hoo!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 60 (377 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yep! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you have a great weekend, dernwyn! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 7:05pm

Post #16 of 60 (380 views)
Shortcut
*cough, hack* May I have some ginger tea with honey and lemon please? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I have that strain of the flu virus that wasn't covered by the vaccine.Frown I'm not happy. *cough*

I saw BotFA twice back in December, but no more because of time/money restraints. My first viewing was with my dad and my mom and my second viewing was with my aunt and my mom. My grammy wants to see it, but she has to wait for the DVD because she's 92 and physically can't get into the theater. We all had fun!Smile (I'll decide if I can recover from the ending after the EE comes out.Wink)

*sneeze*

Oh, speaking of my grammy, it seems she is quite entranced with The Hobbit movies (and LegolasBlush) at this point. She's seen AUJ and DOS, my aunt fill her in on BotFA, and now she's starting to watch the LOTR movies. She watched FOTR the other night and my aunt said that, first of all, when Grammy saw Legolas come on-screen for the first time when he arrived at the Council of Elrond, she happily exclaimed, "Oh, THERE he is!!!" Lol!Laugh Then she continued to enjoy the rest of the movie, but she was pretty sad that Boromir died. Apparently my aunt is going to show her TTT and ROTK too, when they have time, because she wants to know the rest of the story. I'm so proud!Heart

Well, that's all I have to report for today. Hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend!Evil *cough cough*

"Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name.

God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied"

-"Multiplied" by Needtobreathe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 7:13pm

Post #17 of 60 (383 views)
Shortcut
*sympathetic sniffles* [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems we're both sick at the same time.Frown Hope you feel better soon, BF.Heart If you haven't tried it already, I would recommend drinking some hot ginger tea with honey, or honey and lemon in it. It tastes great and really helps with the sore throat and congestion.Evil

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 7:14pm

Post #18 of 60 (385 views)
Shortcut
saw it with my daughter [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes a string of five openings we've seen together since the beginning (we missed FOTR opening). It's our usual "date", we always look forward to it. She's 28 now, so we've been doing this since she was a teen. It does seem very sad, to have that come to an end.

I am not (as you probably know) a particular fan of the book Hobbit. I am even less a fan of the Hobbit movies, but understand why others like them and have no problem bowing out of discussions of the movies' merits. I know very little about movies, or how they are made, etc. I always have a soft spot in my heart for ANY movie with hobbits, so I didn't mind watching.

Angelic

Self serve now, I see. Drops a quarter in the jukebox, pours a nice tall glass of whatever's on draft (that's how we spell it in bars I go to, lol), and settles down at that back table in the corner, the kind preferred by certain Rangers of the North. That's "Time Has Come Today" playing now.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 7:15pm

Post #19 of 60 (379 views)
Shortcut
*snatches a brownie* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Gramma!Smile

*happily munches*

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 7:25pm

Post #20 of 60 (382 views)
Shortcut
I've been down for the count [In reply to] Can't Post

for the past week. I hurt my back while shoveling snow over the holidays and didn't do myself any favors driving home in a blizzard while still in pain. Turns out holding babies in one arm and trying to multitask sets bad habits that had lasting impact. I've got arthritis in my lower back now from the whole works being out of alignment since way back when. I'm getting PT/chiro now and taking out stock in Ibuprofen. I worked last Saturday hoping it would be OK but I ended up with my back in spasm 2 hours into a 9 hour shift. Thank goodness I know the pharmacist Wink. Once my doc called in a muscle relaxant, I was able to take it as soon as it was filled and I had checked the prescription. Cool My techs even marked it urgent in the queue.

Daughter #1 had her first business trip and it went well. She surprised the printer representative by giving him chapter and verse of his own printing technology and then proceeded to show him how his company had screwed up the catalog her bookstore ordered from him. I don't think he expected this petite 22 yo to be able to do that. She handled the whole thing extremely well. Her boss was thrilled with the results - a hefty discount on the next printing. Smile

Older son passed his driver's test and now he's able to get himself places which makes things easier. Second Semester has started so he's on the home stretch of high school. He'll be going to the local community college in the fall. It's all we can afford for him. Unsure

I think I'll rummage around in back of the bar for something a bit stronger than the tea I was going to ask for - for medicinal purposes only, or course. Angelic

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 7:31pm

Post #21 of 60 (375 views)
Shortcut
Actually, that was a flock of starlings you saw [In reply to] Can't Post

I was me and a few of my mates doing a flyby to see how you were doing. ;-)
It's good to hear things are improving. When you are feeling awful sometimes it feels like it will go on forever and it is hard to imagine getting back to your usual self.

I liked what you said about The Hobbit not being a repeat of your LOTR experience, but having a connection to it.
I didn't particularly enjoy AUJ, liked DOS a lot more, and enjoyed BOTFA much more than I expected to. Seeing the last film sent me right back to the beginning again, and I watched the previous five films before going to see the last one again at the movies, which was a great experience. I feel really happy to have a collection of films I am very fond of that I can revisit anytime.

Nice post, Magpie.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2015, 7:36pm

Post #22 of 60 (377 views)
Shortcut
A sunny Saturday [In reply to] Can't Post

yet again. Mr Kimi made pancakes for breakfast, with blueberries from the garden. The blueberry bushes are *laden*. The timing's good, as the apricots have just finished.

Saturday is off to a lazy, sleepy start. Still waiting for the coffee to take effect. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 8:04pm

Post #23 of 60 (377 views)
Shortcut
Finally took the Christmas tree down [In reply to] Can't Post

and assorted household decorations. I was beginning to think they'd be up till Candlemas (2 Feb).

Wishing a speedy recovery to everyone who's ill, and an enjoyable week to everyone who's well!

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 8:10pm

Post #24 of 60 (365 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, dernwyn! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 8:13pm

Post #25 of 60 (369 views)
Shortcut
Aww! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Eruvandi! The same to you. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.