The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
OK...another movie viewing and how

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 23 2015, 2:59pm

Post #1 of 23 (1383 views)
Shortcut
OK...another movie viewing and how Can't Post

amazing that Tauriel and Killi are talking, then Tauriel looks up (of course) and says hello to Legalos who is standing behind her......she knew he was there....how?
have elves always been known to see behind them??....love this creativity from the writers!.....its so true...the more times you view PJ films, the greater the wonderful detail !

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 23 2015, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 23 (815 views)
Shortcut
You'll also notice that Kili is the same height as Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

In about half of those shots.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 4:30pm

Post #3 of 23 (770 views)
Shortcut
What I like about that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL I am pretty hard on the Tauriel/Kili thing, but do feel that scene was beautifully performed - and what I like about it is the restraint, for lack of a better word.

That Legolas is just taking it all in and quietly tells Tauriel more or less they need to go, and that Kili doesn't have some jealous testosterone meltdown or something - e.g. I think a scenario that might have been more typical in writers with lesser skill. I quite like Legolas here.Smile

And Kili for that matter. And just sayin', he's beautiful. Aidan Turner got a lot of screen time, and many wish the dwarves had ALL had time, but AT does do IMO a wonderful job and has through all these films. The more I see the Thorin/Kili scene the more impressed I am - it is truly beautiful.HeartHeart

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH Crazybut why couldn't Thorin hug Fili or something!!!!!....LOL I am OK nowWink)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 23 (710 views)
Shortcut
He did, I'm sure he did...... [In reply to] Can't Post

They just didn't film it.... Angelic

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2015, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 23 (645 views)
Shortcut
elf eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well we know elves have special "elf eyes." Tauriel just happens to have an extra pair in the back of her head.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 6:21pm

Post #6 of 23 (663 views)
Shortcut
Aidan Turner is not a bad actor, though not as strong as RA [In reply to] Can't Post

Presumably that's why AT has been chosen for the role of Poldark in a new TV series (he was very good as the Vampire in Being Human).

Meanwhile, RA is apparently going to appear in Hannibal, as a serial killer – I can see him do really well in such a role, though I don't really want to see him as a 'baddie'.Crazy

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 23 2015, 6:35pm

Post #7 of 23 (669 views)
Shortcut
heights. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In about half of those shots.

The only time they look similar heights is when it's due to foreshortening based on him being closer to the camera and her being further away. ( I can link to the gifs on tumblr if you want :))

I don't find it surprising she knew Legolas was behind her. Both Legolas and Tauriel played the "you didn't hear someone behind you" game on each other earlier in the films so it appears that elves, having greater hearing and being more generally attuned to their surroundings should be able to recognize someone behind them. She'd know him specifically because she's known him all her life, she grew up around him and then worked with him.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 23 2015, 6:43pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 23 (644 views)
Shortcut
I saw BOFA again for the 5th time last night [In reply to] Can't Post

And I must say that the movie has really gelled for me. Yes, there are additional scenes I would like to see, especially wrapping things up at the end, but overall, I really like it. As for this particular scene, I thought that AT and EL both did a lovely job. I did like the way they staged that bit, where you think at first Tauriel is responding to Kili. And yes, I think Tauriel can sense Legolas - you get to that point with people you're around a lot (heck, I can recognize my boss's footsteps coming down the hall).

#OneLastTime

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 23 2015, 8:28pm

Post #9 of 23 (586 views)
Shortcut
True...Kili is the newcomer between [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas and his love for Tauriel and she is very aware of (Prince) Legolas's feelings for her.....maybe elves can track each other's movements even in the dark....esp. when in love....

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 8:30pm

Post #10 of 23 (546 views)
Shortcut
No, it's the ears [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well we know elves have special "elf eyes." Tauriel just happens to have an extra pair in the back of her head.

Hers were the biggest. She heard him breathing and recognized him from the sound of his exasperated exhale, sort of like "WHY are you talking to that DWARF???"

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 8:39pm

Post #11 of 23 (579 views)
Shortcut
RA made his career out of that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Presumably that's why AT has been chosen for the role of Poldark in a new TV series (he was very good as the Vampire in Being Human).

Meanwhile, RA is apparently going to appear in Hannibal, as a serial killer – I can see him do really well in such a role, though I don't really want to see him as a 'baddie'.Crazy

If you get the time, look up a movie on YouTube called "Moving On," where Richard plays a drug dealer. MUCH better than his silly but smouldering Guy of Gisborne. And of course there's Heinz Krueger, LOL! I'm really having trouble seeing him in this role, mostly because in the book Dolarhyde was quite ugly, facially deformed from a cleft palate issue. I know they can do alot with prosthetics, but still...and he has such great teeth!

I am also very excited about Aidan Turner as Poldark, I think I remember some of the original series. AND unlike "Sherlock", it will show on Masterpiece Theater in March, so we in America won't have to wait for it - YAY!!! Well he may not yet be as good as Richard, but then again I think Richard should have been nominated for an Oscar for his Thorin in BOTFA - really an amazing, Jekyl and Hyde performance. No doubt he will play Dolarhyde well, and yes I'll have to watch at least the first episode just because he's in it - ugly or not (hopefully notHeartEvil)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 23 (566 views)
Shortcut
The EE [In reply to] Can't Post

ALL will be in the EE, I am sure.Cool (And admittedly, once I have the DVD I can pause it and stare at Fili being as #Majestic as his uncle up on the wall as much as I like.)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 9:31pm

Post #13 of 23 (535 views)
Shortcut
RA definitely deserved award nods IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it's just not that magnificent performance with Thorin's sane/not sane-ness, how many actors could have ever done that role, at allUnsure - or if they ever did, I suspect it would be a Thorin that was far less rich in depth - never mind doing something so fascinating re depicting the dragon sickness. I am amazed at how RA's eyes alone shift from sane to maddened - and it's JUST in his eyes. It's stunning to watch.

Weeeeellll - looked up this "Tooth Fairy" and whoa - the details are pretty raw re this character. Even so, this Dolarhyde seems to have been a child abuse victim, and if anyone can bring any kind of humanity to this character, RA I think will. Don't think it's really critical they "ugly him up" - in a way, it's more creepy that they don't. Can't remember the film, but Keanu Reeves got a lot of praise for a subtle treatment of a serial killer - e.g., this kind of thing doesn't have to be over-the-top to be effective.

Re AT, always have felt there is a kind of aliveness to him that comes across on camera, and he is constantly in the moment - I think all the dwarves are, but AT has a vivid expressiveness about him. Heart

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 23 2015, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 23 (496 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the Hannibal thing will be my cuppa tea [In reply to] Can't Post

Such things generally give me the horrors. It would appear to be a good choice for RA's career, though – yet another type of role.

When it comes to Poldark, I have seen the original series (you can get it on DVD), with Anghard Reese (I think she is dead now). I believe she was married to the actor who played Poldark, but am not sure. It was a very good series – a lot of people like it. AT should do well in it.

In Reply To
[I am also very excited about Aidan Turner as Poldark, I think I remember some of the original series. AND unlike "Sherlock", it will show on Masterpiece Theater in March, so we in America won't have to wait for it - YAY!!! Well he may not yet be as good as Richard, but then again I think Richard should have been nominated for an Oscar for his Thorin in BOTFA - really an amazing, Jekyl and Hyde performance. No doubt he will play Dolarhyde well, and yes I'll have to watch at least the first episode just because he's in it - ugly or not (hopefully notHeartEvil)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2015, 12:31am

Post #15 of 23 (472 views)
Shortcut
RA's Character [In reply to] Can't Post

In that series is really bad too. Very horrific. I can't watch it. I tried but it just really is something that's not my thing either.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 2:14am

Post #16 of 23 (462 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to go OT for the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

If you get the time, look up a movie on YouTube called "Moving On," where Richard plays a drug dealer. MUCH better than his silly but smouldering Guy of Gisborne. And of course there's Heinz Krueger, LOL! I'm really having trouble seeing him in this role, mostly because in the book Dolarhyde was quite ugly, facially deformed from a cleft palate issue. I know they can do alot with prosthetics, but still...and he has such great teeth!

I am also very excited about Aidan Turner as Poldark, I think I remember some of the original series. AND unlike "Sherlock", it will show on Masterpiece Theater in March, so we in America won't have to wait for it - YAY!!! Well he may not yet be as good as Richard, but then again I think Richard should have been nominated for an Oscar for his Thorin in BOTFA - really an amazing, Jekyl and Hyde performance. No doubt he will play Dolarhyde well, and yes I'll have to watch at least the first episode just because he's in it - ugly or not (hopefully notHeartEvil)

Did they change the Masterpiece Theatre date for Poldark? When they had the TCA earlier this week they said it was going to be aired in June 2015. I was greatly annoyed at having to wait three more months. It looks good. I know there are other ways to see it but I want PBS to get the ratings because I'm sure it will help when it comes time for the BBC to decide on whether or not to renew it if PBS gets good ratings as well BBC gets money from selling the series.

Now I really liked Kili and Tauriel's storyline(in fact the main problem I can see with it is that it didn't get enough screen time, they needed another scene that wasn't either a beginning or an ending, :) ) but either way Aidan did a wonderful acting job in this movie all the way around. And his scene with Thorin was beautiful.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 3:42am

Post #17 of 23 (434 views)
Shortcut
Poldark air date [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I'm sure I read a week or so ago that it would air in March. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 7:11am

Post #18 of 23 (418 views)
Shortcut
According to pbs.org [In reply to] Can't Post

It starts June 1. Here's a short teaser trailer: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365405553/

#OneLastTime

Me85
Rivendell

Jan 24 2015, 11:36am

Post #19 of 23 (427 views)
Shortcut
i've also noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

That when Thorin shoots an arrow in front of Thranduil's elk... Who is giving the sign for the elven army to draw their bows? The only sign i could see is Thranduil slightly bending his head but that's barely noticeable. Or is that supposed to be a nod and the elves can see it with their super eyes. I've only seen the movie once so maybe I've missed something.

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 4:43pm

Post #20 of 23 (365 views)
Shortcut
Just in time to distract me [In reply to] Can't Post

from my game of Thrones withdrawal symptoms!

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 5:02pm

Post #21 of 23 (370 views)
Shortcut
think the movies shows some "elf senses"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is outside at Bard's and can hear the dragon wings coming, before anyone. Thranduil hears the faintest scrape of a light-footed hobbit on the stairs. And re Legolas the point was made re his keen sight and I believe Tolkien details the amazing abilities of elves including their strength.

So elves being "attuned" to one another - much like many animals who have senses we don't (like the lateral line in fish that detects changes in water pressure) - for me is believable, as are dwarves having a dense bone structure and great strength. Especially Mirkwood elves whose live in dangerous surroundings and have to be on guard much of the time.

Probably also why Thranduil only has to bow his head slightly for the elves to take aim - also there's that nice synchronous-wave thing that goes on as Thranduil and Bard pass through the ranks.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 24 2015, 6:23pm

Post #22 of 23 (368 views)
Shortcut
Saw that too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

very unique among the other races...very supernatural...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 5:43am

Post #23 of 23 (304 views)
Shortcut
I seem to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

a line by Tolkien, in a letter or something to the effect that Elves are not supernatural, in fact they are more natural than we are...

That resonated thoroughly with me. Elves as completely tuned to the natural world, on a deeper, spiritual/psychic level too.

I've had farriers (who trim and shoe horses' feet) say a horse knows more than you imagine as soon as you touch them (yes, superpowers, super scent, maybe they can feel your heartbeat, who knows). There are dogs that can detect cancer or impending seizures. Cats who "read your mind" and know when you need them to sit on an inconvenient body part (oh come on, really, get off my face...).

Fairly sure the Elves are an idealized idea of people in total balance with their environment and other living things.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.