The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Has anyone else...

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Jan 22 2015, 10:19pm

Post #1 of 10 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone else... Can't Post

....tried to make sense of the fact that when you watch all six movies together in a row, the beginnings of An Unexpected Journey and The Fellowship of the Ring won't match up? Bilbo begins writing his book in both movies, and he writes different things in each movie. What's up with that?

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 4:32am

Post #2 of 10 (1023 views)
Shortcut
they've fallen into [In reply to] Can't Post

the Marvel universe...

continuity? what continuity????????

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 4:34am

Post #3 of 10 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Two different trilogies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...made in different times. Visually different. Tonally different. And so on...

As such, these differences in continuity don't bother me that much. But for those who wish to view all six films as a unified saga, I can understand the frustration.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 5:14am

Post #4 of 10 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien did the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like Bilbo, he had many false starts writing the books.

(I wonder if the different versions were later collected in a volume called History of the Red Book, aka HoRB?)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Jan 23 2015, 6:34am

Post #5 of 10 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Darkstone..... [In reply to] Can't Post

....I just wanted to say that I absolutely LOVE your signature!

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 7:37am

Post #6 of 10 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there is an inconsistency. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could this be the sequence of the Red Book:

A mini-introduction (sort of like an abstract ?) about Dwarves, dragons and Erebor (ŕ la the actual prologue in the The Hobbit book, but about Bilbo's adventure instead) [as seen in AUJ]; followed by "But it is not the start of my story..." [as seen in AUJ:EE]; Bilbo then writes the "proper" title "There and Back Again..." [as seen in FOTR:EE]; and lastly begins the story with the "Concerning Hobbits" chapter [as seen in FOTR:EE] (ŕ la the book prologue and "I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays ...")

They have deliberately made Old Bilbo scatterbrained and disorganized. It's no surprise Bilbo wanders off in the first pages of his book!

(Welcome to TORn! Smile)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 23 2015, 7:38am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2015, 8:14am

Post #7 of 10 (981 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

And there are a few shots where you can see crumpled pieces of paper on the floor. Bilbo's lengthy introduction ended up being an unintentional nod to Tolkien's writing style.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 23 2015, 8:14am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 12:55pm

Post #8 of 10 (944 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I've started out many a story, only to turn the page and write a new beginning just a few minutes later. And I'm not even eleventy-one yet! Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 1:43pm

Post #9 of 10 (958 views)
Shortcut
Nice point about the crumpled papers [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think of Bilbo working it all out.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 4:09pm

Post #10 of 10 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien, himself, made similar errors [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
....tried to make sense of the fact that when you watch all six movies together in a row, the beginnings of An Unexpected Journey and The Fellowship of the Ring won't match up?

Kili was originally described as older than Fili. There are serious descrepencies in travel times in The Hobbit versus The Lord of the Rings. Rivendell seems like two completely different places at times.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.