Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BotFA the least well-received - what's your take?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Drakblod
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 8:21am

Post #26 of 65 (536 views)
Shortcut
I think.. [In reply to] Can't Post

That people who defend The Hobbit haven't read the book. Because you'd have to be quite daft to see that The Hobbit is a very poor adaptation.

like butter scraped over too much bread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 8:23am

Post #27 of 65 (523 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That people who defend The Hobbit haven't read the book. Because you'd have to be quite daft to see that The Hobbit is a very poor adaptation.

I don't even know where to begin with that comment. Prepare for a lot of reponses to that ...

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 8:25am

Post #28 of 65 (509 views)
Shortcut
That is just wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I do not even like BotFA very much.

It is also a bit annoying that you have to express yourself in such an aggravating style all the time... it makes it harder for those of us who want to express our criticism more balanced and in rational discussions.

Unimpressed

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 22 2015, 8:29am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 22 2015, 8:57am

Post #29 of 65 (500 views)
Shortcut
It maybe an internet concensus of sorts.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but I don't think it's a general concensus. That's certainly not the prevailing opinion among the published, professional film critics whose reviews I've seen; the film is getting a lot of five and four star reviews. Remember that a lot of the people who post about things online are not actually 'critics' in that sense, they're just people who like trying to destroy things others enjoy.

The real test is the box office and that's where the film is doing really well. I'd say the rest is just noise.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2015, 9:24am

Post #30 of 65 (481 views)
Shortcut
Well that is as silly [In reply to] Can't Post

As suggesting that those who consider adaptation as a game of spot the difference haven't studied literature at any higher educational level.

But I don't think the forum is the place for such silliness.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 12:24pm

Post #31 of 65 (468 views)
Shortcut
What makes BOFA inferior to DOS/AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think BOFA is a hundred times better movie than DOS.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 22 2015, 12:59pm

Post #32 of 65 (441 views)
Shortcut
Its psychological !! [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ came forward and said that he is planning more Tolkien films many would give a positive review....now...since it is seem as the very last film ever it is going to be the brunt of fans frustration.....like PJ broke up with fans !!

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 1:07pm

Post #33 of 65 (448 views)
Shortcut
IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

I had hoped that many things I found to be a bit unfocused in the first two (Azog/Bolg, DG storyline, Thrain storyline, etc.) would lead somewhere meaningful and satisfying with this last one.

That is why I always say that I do not just think BotFA on its own isn't a very good movie but that it also brings down the first two to some extent, imho clearly showing that they never structured the story well enough for a three movie adaptation.

The issues that escalated with this last chapter have been there before, though.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 1:28pm

Post #34 of 65 (448 views)
Shortcut
John Rateliff's publishers will need to be told! [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine their surprise when they learn that the author of The History of The Hobbit and probably the greatest authority on the book this side of Christopher Tolkien, actually hasn't read it!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 2:15pm

Post #35 of 65 (442 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is by far the worst of the ME saga and actually one of PJ's worst movies in general.

UnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressed

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 2:17pm

Post #36 of 65 (404 views)
Shortcut
How I'd rank all six. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FOTR
2. ROTK
3. TTT
4. AUJ
5. BOTFA
6. DOS

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:35pm

Post #37 of 65 (396 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your 'WoW' [In reply to] Can't Post

BoFA is my favourite of the Hobbit films – I find it wonderfully moving and beautiful.

What some people simply find (or say they find, because I think that post above is designed to aggravate others) unacceptable is that the Hobbit films are an ADAPTATION. For me, they are completely different from the simple but pretty story that Tolkien wrote – though they contain obvious references to that story. What PJ has done with them is a marvel to me – though I may not agree with some of his decisions.

Anyway, it is obvious that millions of people like them, as I can see from the rapt attention given to BoFA when I go and see it in the cinema.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jan 22 2015, 3:38pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:39pm

Post #38 of 65 (371 views)
Shortcut
I'm with ya. [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is still my favorite of this group but I agree with your post.

I will say my "wow" is also partly how someone who usually is so leveled wrote that in a way (IMO) that it reads as fact. I don't want anyone to post back at me I shouldn't have to write it a certain way and every post is my opinion. There are ways to say I feel BOFTA is the worst of the series and one of Jackson's worst.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:40pm

Post #39 of 65 (385 views)
Shortcut
Are you referring to my post? [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course my post is an "IMHO" post.

And no, it was not posted to aggravate anybody.

I thought people here knew I was neither someone to praise nor someone to hate something without reasons. I am obviously mistaken.

I thought my posts about positive aspects of this last one as well as countless discussion contributions over the years showed I wasn't a hater (I did not even give it a really bad rating) or someone just here to annoy people.

The post you two speak about also had more to say than just that statement.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 22 2015, 3:46pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:50pm

Post #40 of 65 (357 views)
Shortcut
No, I wasn't referring to your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Anyway, I have loads of work to do at the moment, so need to go away. (It doesn't help that I work on my computer at home and am alerted every time a 'response' post comes through.)Tongue

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:51pm

Post #41 of 65 (351 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought so because I was quoted in the post you answered to.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:53pm

Post #42 of 65 (360 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you're a hater [In reply to] Can't Post

I do loathe a bit when people state how you started off in that post though. It is comes off as an opinion/statement of fact. I know that isn't how you tend to do things.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 3:57pm

Post #43 of 65 (342 views)
Shortcut
I think I may have got the posts mixed up [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I was thinking about another one I'd just seen.

Anyway, as I indicated – Tongue

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2015, 4:49pm

Post #44 of 65 (336 views)
Shortcut
I'm with ya all the way on this one [In reply to] Can't Post

BOTFA is also my favorite of the Hobbit films. And it's probably my second favorite (or maybe third, I haven't made up my mind yet) of all PJ's Middle-earth films. There are so many moments I love in this one, from Smaug's torching of Laketown to all of Thorin's scenes with Bilbo and Dwalin to the final fight between Thorin and Azog on the ice. Can't wait for the extended edition already!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 5:33pm

Post #45 of 65 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

If I rank all six ME films together, BotFA is probably my favourite, along with FotR. However, I don't really like doing this, preferring to keep the two trilogies separate, because they are very different in tone and acting (better overall in the Hobbit than in LotR, I think), and the visual effects have advanced considerably since the LotR films were made. I find many of the latter absolutely breathtaking (Smaug, destruction of Lake-town, waterfall in Rivendell, Eagles, Erebor, Thorin and gold hall, Thorin on ice, etc).

In Reply To
BOTFA is also my favorite of the Hobbit films. And it's probably my second favorite (or maybe third, I haven't made up my mind yet) of all PJ's Middle-earth films. There are so many moments I love in this one, from Smaug's torching of Laketown to all of Thorin's scenes with Bilbo and Dwalin to the final fight between Thorin and Azog on the ice. Can't wait for the extended edition already!

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 22 2015, 7:44pm

Post #46 of 65 (317 views)
Shortcut
No the critical reception is relatively poor [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the critics are not everything, and if you like the film you should not be that concerned what the critics say.

But it is just a simple fact that the critical reception of BotFA has been the poorest of any of PJ's Middle Earth films. Amongst top critics (broadsheets, significant film magazines) the film is rated rotten on RT, being criticised in a number of broadsheets, from the New York Times, to the Washington Post, Financial Times, Sight and Sound... -

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_the_battle_of_the_five_armies/reviews/?type=top_critics

There's still more than half of the serious critics that were positive, but 54% positive it's a world away from the ratings of LotR- 89%, 97% and 97% positive for each LotR installment.

(This post was edited by burrahobbit on Jan 22 2015, 7:46pm)

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jan 22 2015, 8:03pm

Post #47 of 65 (290 views)
Shortcut
for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved all three films for different reasons. To me, BOFA felt the most different of them all (including the 3 LOTR) because:

1.) It lacked a real prologue (which I think really matters)

and

2.) It takes place basically in one location. All of the other films are either road movies or have many different locales and events. BOFA was in one spot for the duration which made it feel different.

Honestly, if I had to rank them right now...I would probably rank:

1.) Unexpected Journey
2.) Desolation of Smaug
3.) Battle of the Five Armies

Together with LOTR, I'd rank:

1.) Fellowship
2.) Return of the King
3.) Two Towers
4.) Unexpected Journey
5.) Desolation of Smaug
6.) Battle of the Five Armies

Now that makes it look like I don't like Five Armies. Far from it. I love all six movies, but it is (at least until the Extended Edition) the one I love the least right now. It's also the one I've watched the least. So I have to give it some time...

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 22 2015, 8:13pm

Post #48 of 65 (284 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking LotR completely out the equation, the screenplay, dialogue, pacing, characterisation of BotFA is much weaker than say King Kong, or Heavenly Creatures. It might not be PJ's worst film, but it's a long way from his best work. I think you're expressing a mainstream view shared by many critics, at least outside of PJ fandom.

I think BotFA was the film where the implications of the three film decision really came home and cost the adaptation. Smaug dies 10 minutes in, and then there's just not enough of Tolkien's story left to tell. So we get a very long action film. Not terrible, but not great.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 22 2015, 8:58pm

Post #49 of 65 (265 views)
Shortcut
In my area, Chicago suburban...it is still showing at least [In reply to] Can't Post

2 x during the week and 2-4 x on weekend, with standard and 3D options.

https://www.google.com/...HIkvx1FACw7VEhLgAAAA

For me, I liked the prologue and old Bilbo / Frodo of AUJ...only the excessive Mountain Giants and Goblin tunnel amusement rides got on my nerves.
DOS was very good. I really enjoyed BOTFA - however - there are some miscues. I don't mind Tauriel or Legolas etc. ...my issue is that it should have been longer.....EE carries a heavy burden.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 22 2015, 9:02pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 9:33pm

Post #50 of 65 (287 views)
Shortcut
For me, its biggest flaw... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is its lack of resolution of so many story lines.

Do they just leave Thorin's body lying on the ice? Who becomes King Under the Mountain now that Thorin and his nephews are all dead? Who's in charge of Laketown now? What was the point of Beorn's big build-up in DOS if he barely even appears in the third movie? Do the Elves and Dwarves kiss and make up, or do they go right back to hating and fighting each other?

They included one scene that I'm fairly confident is the beginning of Thorin's funeral/burial, but they don't show any of that so it just looks like a bunch of random people taking their hats off and looking somber.

I wanted to see a lot more of what happened to everyone else before Bilbo went home.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.