The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Gimli and Thorin Oakenshield vs. Boromir and Faramir

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Mar 23 2008, 10:13pm

Post #1 of 9 (5789 views)
Shortcut
Gimli and Thorin Oakenshield vs. Boromir and Faramir Can't Post

This is a duel to the death. Picture a huge rectangle area, with no cover, and the combatants step off 30 paces, then turn and fight.

What happens? Here is what I think would happen.

They step off 30 paces. Faramir turns around, bow in hand, and quickly shoots an arrow at Thorin, who is in front of Gimli. The arrow hits him in between the left shoulder armor and chest plates, and knocks him down. Gimli charges forward at Boromir who is also charging. Gimli pulls out his throwing axe, and chucks it at Boromir, sticking him in the chest. Boromir is down on one knee clutching his chest. Faramir has strung another arrow, and fires at Gimli, and it glances off his helmet, but still knocks him back, giving Faramir time to pull out his sword and leap in front of wounded Faramir. Then up comes Thorin Oakenshield with Orcrist in his right hand, his left arm hanging useless. Faramir blocks Thorin's first blow, but then Gimli gets back up with his double bladed axe, and swipes at Faramir, who ducks out of the way. Then Faramir sees Orcrist coming for his neck, but then another sword appears, and blocks the attack. Boromir is up again! And he is chopping at Thorin, while Faramir wards off Gimli. But then Gimli strikes Faramir's leg with the handle of his axe, and Faramir trips. Gimli is on him, but then a horn blows......and many horses appear on the eastern horizon. Rohan!!!!!!!!! And then another horn sounds from the west, its the Elves!!!!!!!!! And then from the south, many drums sound, Mordor!!!!!!!!! And Isengard!!!!! and then Aragorn and Gandalf appear with Gondor from the North!!!!!!! Let the real battle begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagonet
Lorien

Mar 24 2008, 11:53pm

Post #2 of 9 (1839 views)
Shortcut
I like it!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very exciting! But I do have one question...

On the 4th and 5th line of the battle scene... Faramir jumps in front of Faramir?

Hahahaha! Trust me it's forgivable, you did good, and I love the way you wrote the battle. Love the endingWink.

P.S.
Boromir and Faramir win. With Boromir's stubbornness to die (GOOD THING!) and Faramir's bow and swords craft, it would be a close match but I believe they would win.

Dagonet,
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Mar 25 2008, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 9 (1818 views)
Shortcut
You're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah I meant Faramir jumps in front of Boromir, my mistake. I do think Boromir and Faramir would win, chiefly because of Faramir's bow and Boromir's stubborness. But then, you forget the stubborness of dwarves. In the Silmarillion, it says that dwarves were created to be strong against Melkor, and they were stubborn, hardy, and pain wasn't an issue with them. So it could go either way.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 4 2008, 5:26pm

Post #4 of 9 (1839 views)
Shortcut
As a medieval combat enactor [In reply to] Can't Post

First I love your ending. But I shoud point out that Dwarf and a Human charging over a distance of 30 paces wouldn't leave much time for a throwing axe to be of much service. Unless it was used as a hand axe. As for Faramir and his bow. The first aimed shot is within reason but after the melee begins, most archers (such as my cousin "Sir Wulfscyld") switch to a hand held weapon like an arming sword or war hammer. I love to use axes, it's my specialty, and I know that in most cases swords don't stop them very well. Boromir's shield would have to come more into play. But then again, as a new poster to this thread, I could just be taking this far too seriously. To quote my baronial war cry "Thither Yond!"

Eglario Valar!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 4 2008, 9:56pm

Post #5 of 9 (1930 views)
Shortcut
I like your thinking, SoftheS! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed reading your post - your detail and first hand knowledge were very interesting (imho, anyway!). So no, I don't think you were taking it too seriously - I think you were just using some insider info to add some interesting extras! Good stuff - hope you post more in any actual 'battle' threads!

And - I know you've been around a little while but I haven't see you before, so - welcome to TORn! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

numenor888
The Shire

Apr 17 2008, 1:13am

Post #6 of 9 (1912 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree with dagonet i think faramir and boromir would win

The risky Ranger
Numenor

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 12 2009, 1:34am

Post #7 of 9 (6115 views)
Shortcut
gimli and thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

gimli and thorin would winCool

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 9 (1048 views)
Shortcut
the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 1:40pm

Post #9 of 9 (928 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarf would win! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.