Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Folks from the Uni of Waikato want to know YOUR opinion on BotFA!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Jan 21 2015, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 26 (9085 views)
Shortcut
Folks from the Uni of Waikato want to know YOUR opinion on BotFA! Can't Post

At the University of Waikato in New Zealand, a team of researchers are conducting a survey about audience reactions to The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Now's your chance to express all the things you loved or hated - to people who really want to know! Wink They say:
What did YOU think of the final Hobbit movie?
In this survey we are keen to hear people’s thoughts, responses and feelings about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. We are seeking respondents with a wide range of perspectives – so whether you loved the film, were very disappointed by it, or had mixed feelings, we hope you will participate in the survey here: http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit3/
Completing the survey will take around 30-45 minutes, or possibly longer if you have a lot to say, and involves a combination of sorting and ranking a selection of statements relating to the Battle of the Five Armies, as well as a more traditional questionnaire with click responses and a few open ended questions where you can tell us what you really think.
Please note that as this survey uses Flash it won’t work on Apple iPads, but may work on other older Android tablet devices. A laptop or desktop computer is ideal. The survey must be completed in one sitting.
Please do feel free to pass this invitation on to friends, family members, colleagues or students who may be interested in participating, especially if they have very different views about the film to your own! And if you are on Twitter, here is a shorter URL: http://tinyurl.com/pg3y2xn

About us: We’re a team of academic researchers located at the University of Waikato (Hamilton, New Zealand) and Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada). We are interested in the nature of audience reception, and in understanding why different people often have very different views and understandings of the same film.
If you do decide to complete the survey, or want to learn more about the project before deciding, clicking http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit3/ will take you to the formal consent agreement, which looks rather ominous but provides important details about the project and your rights as a research participant. The most important things to know are that your participation is entirely voluntary, your answers will remain anonymous, and you can say as much or as little as you wish. Thank you!
Dr Carolyn Michelle, lead researcher on The Hobbit Transnational Audience Reception Project

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 22 2015, 11:09am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 21 2015, 4:30pm

Post #2 of 26 (7771 views)
Shortcut
I think I've filled in these before, for the other films [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll certainly do so for this one – thanks very much for posting this.Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 21 2015, 4:55pm

Post #3 of 26 (7737 views)
Shortcut
Bom knows he filled out One, but never saw the Results?// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 21 2015, 4:55pm

Post #4 of 26 (7741 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for providing the link.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 21 2015, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 26 (7751 views)
Shortcut
That was interesting to fill out - thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

It also helped me organize some more confusing feelings about the trilogy!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

(This post was edited by Gianna on Jan 21 2015, 4:59pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 21 2015, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 26 (7752 views)
Shortcut
No, come to think of it [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw the results. Perhaps the organisation that issues these would be able to let you know?Tongue

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 21 2015, 6:39pm

Post #7 of 26 (7744 views)
Shortcut
Actually, Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you may be able to see some results in the following link, under 'Ongoing projects):

http://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/research/centres-units/aru/research-projects/hobbit-audience-project

I haven't read them yet, so don't know what conclusions they reach.Wink

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 9:24pm

Post #8 of 26 (7682 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a well conceived survey. I am interested to see the full results.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2015, 9:54pm

Post #9 of 26 (7688 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Done! Thanks GD for the link! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very comprehensive and plenty of room to express detailed thoughts. I like the card-ranking system too - makes you think in priority order.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 8:00am

Post #10 of 26 (7727 views)
Shortcut
At the very end there's a link... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to their site where they're publishing results. The "summary" articles are readable, but I'm afraid their published articles a too academic to get any sense out of. They only have summaries for the LotR films, I'm afraid.

Basically, they say that movie-firsters like the films better than book-firsters, which is no surprise.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 1:47pm

Post #11 of 26 (7616 views)
Shortcut
well, I don't really know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really impressed with Bilbo. But I hated the Legolas parts, because almost all he does defies the laws of physics (and gravity). So I really can't form an opinion! It was both good and bad. Smile

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 7:07pm

Post #12 of 26 (7595 views)
Shortcut
Survey completed! [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who is studying experimental psychology herself in grad school and getting ready for her own project, I appreciate your long-term study and find the topic fascinating! Will have to sit down with the articles sometime to look at your findings once all the results are out. I look forward to seeing them!
Best of luck, and thank you!

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 8:58pm

Post #13 of 26 (7567 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for participating, Glorfindela! We really do appreciate it.

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 8:59pm

Post #14 of 26 (7569 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 8:59pm

Post #15 of 26 (7570 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that, Gianna! [In reply to] Can't Post

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 9:01pm

Post #16 of 26 (7573 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for participating, Bombadil! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can find summaries of findings to date as well as our recent publications on our website.

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 9:02pm

Post #17 of 26 (7571 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Padallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are working on analysing the very large amount of data we've gathered, and will be progressively releasing findings on various topics via the survey website over the next two years.

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 9:03pm

Post #18 of 26 (7568 views)
Shortcut
Great to hear this feedback, Brethil! Thanks so much for participating :) [In reply to] Can't Post

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 9:07pm

Post #19 of 26 (7573 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Holly Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is great to hear, best of luck with your own project! We will be releasing all papers on the website as they are published, but please do feel free to get in touch if you are doing research in this area.

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 9:10pm

Post #20 of 26 (7581 views)
Shortcut
Hi Elizabeth; all our summaries relate to findings from the Hobbit Audience Project, rather than the LotRs films. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like there may be some misunderstanding here, as the results we are releasing do in fact relate to our surveys of Hobbit viewers, both before and after the first film's release. We label one of the groups we've identified as LotRs film fans, but their responses relate to The Hobbit, not the earlier trilogy.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 1:41am

Post #21 of 26 (7560 views)
Shortcut
Do you have LotR results posted somewhere?// [In reply to] Can't Post

CaroMichelle
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 2:27am

Post #22 of 26 (7667 views)
Shortcut
You may be thinking of a different study? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elizabeth,
You may be thinking of a project run by Martin Barker on responses to LotRs, which was conducted after the release of the final film in that earlier trilogy. The research I am leading is a longitudinal study of audiences for the Hobbit and uses a very different methodology.
Best wishes,
Carolyn

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 11 2015, 3:17am

Post #23 of 26 (7572 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

That was interesting survey to do. I've never done one where you divide up notes like that. I really like all the space where you could explain certain opinions further. Nice survey.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 10:42pm

Post #24 of 26 (7474 views)
Shortcut
done [In reply to] Can't Post

that was LONG!!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

CaroMichelle
Bree

Mar 2 2015, 2:42am

Post #25 of 26 (7386 views)
Shortcut
The survey is still open - thanks to all who have participated! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to sincerely thank all those ToRN members who have completed this survey so far - we really do appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your views.

The survey is still open and we are still looking for more respondents (we have around 650 to date, and would like to reach 1,000 if possible), so there is still time if you would like to be involved. http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit3/

Also, if you know of any others who may be interested in participating, please do feel free to pass the survey link on to them and to circulate the information through your own networks - we would be extremely grateful!

With thanks,
Carolyn Michelle
lead researcher, The Hobbit Audience Project

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.