The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle Earth music

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 5:01am

Post #1 of 24 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth music Can't Post

I apologize if I'm posting this is the wrong location. Beyond the movie soundtracks and Leonard Nimoy's Bilbo song, does anyone know of any LOTR or other Middle Earth- inspired music out there? I know about the Song of Durin by Eurielle and someone at the Biblo Baggins Birthday Bash had told me about LOTR (Original London Production). Are there any others out there?

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 5:16am

Post #2 of 24 (1454 views)
Shortcut
lots [In reply to] Can't Post

you can take a look at this site:
http://www.tolkien-music.com/

Here are lists I've made in the past:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=468559#468559
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=401881#401881

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 5:22am

Post #3 of 24 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie! Cool

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 20 2015, 5:43am

Post #4 of 24 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Check out The Tolkien Ensemble [In reply to] Can't Post

- a mainly Danish group of singers and players (though I believe one of their composers is English); they did four albums called Evening in Rivendell, Night in Rivendell etc, setting to music the songs and poems in Lord of the Rings. Christopher Lee collaborated in at least one of the albums and recited some of the verses for them. I believe the albums have since been reissued in a different format. I like the Evening in Rivendell album best, I think, but there are some good tracks on the others too. Lots of their stuff is on YouTube - I hope it is legitimate! - it might give you an idea of whether you'd like it, anyhow.
Try "There is an inn, a merry old inn", Galadriel's song of Eldamar, Song of Durin (Dwarves as Welsh miners' male voice choir, yay!), Song of Beren & Luthien for a varied sample.

ponybarfly

Jan 20 2015, 12:00pm

Post #5 of 24 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Love Stephen Oliver's BBC Radio Soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

I always had a soft spot for Leonard Rosenman's soundtrack for the ralph Bakshi cartoon, but without a doubt Stephen Oliver's score for the Radio 4 adaptation has much to recommend it, one highlight being the March of the Ents.

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 20 2015, 2:49pm

Post #6 of 24 (1398 views)
Shortcut
The BBC radio play that was done in the seventies has some wonderful music [In reply to] Can't Post

plus it's the most faithful dramatization of the book that I know of. Its comes in a four disc set and the fourth disc is just the music.

A composer named Donald Swann collaborated with Tolkien at some point to produce a book of basically sheet music to some of the songs. I've never heard any of them performed but they might be on You Tube.

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 20 2015, 4:01pm

Post #7 of 24 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Donald Swann used to be part of a comedy duo [In reply to] Can't Post

... with Michael Flanders. They wrote and performed comic songs in the 1950s and 60s - very funny ones, though they do sound dated now.

This is worth a listen, because it's Donald Swann himself talking a little bit about his feelings for 'Bilbo's Last Song' before he plays and sings it. He performed it for Michael Flanders' memorial service and I think if was also revised for his own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6nmOjqXAo

There was a record of 'The Road Goes Ever On', Donald Swann's Tolkien song-cycle with a dinger called William Elvin (good name!) Here's a taste of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2SZw9EBlus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_aIUwVTuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-gbWpJ1tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye53tRTq_jk

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 20 2015, 8:21pm

Post #8 of 24 (1372 views)
Shortcut
I guess I wasn't payiing attention or I would have realized [In reply to] Can't Post

you had already mentioned the BBC soundtrack. I especially love what he did with "The Road Goes Ever On" and a couple of the songs Sam did--exp the song about Gil-Galad and the one he sang in the tower of Cirith Ungol when he was searching for Frodo. "Beyond All Towers Strong and High," I think it was. Bill Nighy, who played Sam so well, also displays a wonderful singing voice in that series.

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 8:55pm

Post #9 of 24 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Na Vedui! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I really like the Tolkien Ensemble. I looked them up on iTunes and they've got a lot of great stuff. I didn't find the Evening at Rivendell, etc. on there, but they do have the Best of the Tolkien Ensemble and a couple other albums. I love the ones with Christopher Lee and their hobbity music. I'll be getting more of their stuff in the future. Thanks!

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 9:03pm

Post #10 of 24 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Nice soundtracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info Ponybarfly, those are two nice soundtracks. Glad to find them on YouTube.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 9:11pm

Post #11 of 24 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Gwytha and Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info, Gwytha, I'll see if I can find that. I have the 9- disc version of a LOTR radio drama, which I like, but there are parts where they include quite a lot of the book but leave out just enough of parts like Passing of the Grey Company to drive me nuts.

Thanks both Gwytha and Dormouse for the info on David Swann, I found those tracks on YouTube. I like "Bilbo's Last Song."

Dormouse, thanks for the links to those videos.

Eruclauron
Bree

Jan 20 2015, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 24 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Forgive me if any have mentioned these before. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know of quite a few, depending on what you're looking for:
The video game soundtracks: Shadow of Mordor is the most recent, and you can get it on iTunes or Amazon (if you want an MP3), and I think it's really good. Then there's the War in the North soundtrack, which has a very movie-esque sound to it, and you can get physical disc or MP3 version off Amazon. If you can find them, The Lord of the Rings Online soundtracks are pretty good, though perhaps not what you'd be looking for: I think I enjoy them more since I play the game frequently, and I remember my adventures as I listen. Wink
The older movie soundtracks: By those I mean the old animated movies. The only soundtrack I've been able to find of those for actual purchase is The Lord of the Rings one, which sounds pretty good, but you may want to listen to it on YouTube to see if it's what you're looking for.
Other: Karliene has quite a few Middle-earth songs on her YouTube channel, and up for download on her website. Also, The Lonely Mountain Band has a bunch of Middle-earth songs, on three (I think) albums.

I hope I helped! Smile

(This post was edited by Eruclauron on Jan 20 2015, 9:28pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 11:38pm

Post #13 of 24 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's last song is available on amazon as an mp3 download [In reply to] Can't Post

So is a lovely version of "all that is gold"

Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I'll get more info for you. (I'm on my phone at the moment.)

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 21 2015, 3:05pm

Post #14 of 24 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Some good music... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are some of mine:
In Elven Lands Jon Anderson, The FellowshipI love all of these, but my favorite tracks are "The Silver Bowl", "The Man in the Moon", "Beware the Wolf" and "The Evening Star".
The Starlit Jewel BroceliandeAll of these are really good settings of Tolkien's lyrics. My favorite is "Children's Song from Dale" because that's one I'd never heard set to music before.
Back to Mercy (All That is Gold) Brooks WilliamsThere's only one Tolkien song on the CD: an absolutely wonderful setting of "All that is gold does not glitter...". I will listen to that one over and over. And the rest of his songs are nice and varied in the folk/rock tradition.
Lord of the Rings the Musical Original London Cast Recording I really love this. It's incredibly dense and varied musically. Another song I will play endlessly is "Now and for Always", a duet with Frodo and Sam that blows me away. But most of the music is really worthy! (In spite of some rather odd lyrics in "The Road Goes On"--one line always has me imagining Pippin stuffing a goat into a churn...)
Songs from Middle Earth The HobbitonsThe Hobbitons were (are?) a Dutch amateur fan group. I heard about them on Ellen Kushner's radio show "Sound and Spirit" on the episode dedicated to Tolkien, and ordered their CD. It is not technically the best of Tolkien music I've heard, but it makes up for it with the sheer exuberance of the performers. And some of the songs really are quite good.
(BTW I think you can still find and listen to that "Sound and Spirit" episode online, though the link I used to have no longer works--tons of Tolkien-inspired music, and all of it pre-movie era.)
I have The Road Goes Ever On songbook by Tolkien and Swann mentioned above, but have never actually heard the recordings. I painstakingly learned to peck out the melodies on the piano 40-some-odd years ago, and I confess that most of those tunes are still what I hear in my head when I read the books, especially "I Sit Beside the Fire" and "In Western Lands".

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 21 2015, 3:30pm

Post #15 of 24 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to the LMB site [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lonely Mountain Band, who Eruclauron mentioned, are wonderful! Here's a link to one of their albums on their site

http://minstrelsongs.com/album/second-breakfast

and there are others on there that you can either stream for free or pay to download (I am also biased because they're my Kin on Lord of the Rings Online), but objectively also they're very good Wink

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

ponybarfly

Jan 21 2015, 3:54pm

Post #16 of 24 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Thanks folks [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really pleased about this thread being started because I never knew about the London show recording. I saw this too and it was pretty good, after which I had the making of book bought as a gift.

But yes I love the radio version, and as was said Bill Nighy is great, as are the rest of the cast. I was slightly disappointed went I bought the vinyl LP of the music back in the day because they had a 'proper' singer replace him on the Gil-Galad song. Of course it matters not now we have the play anyway. But the album does give us a straight rendition of things like Forth Rode the King, and those Ent songs which are phenomenal.

I only wish we could have had the same confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman on the balcony of Orthanc in the movies that we had in the radio version. Marvelous. But I suppose it means we have reasons for enjoying both versions.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 1:42am

Post #17 of 24 (1318 views)
Shortcut
sound and spirit is still online [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.wgbh.org/...rd-of-the-Rings-5048

I'm not sure if the playlist is still accessible at that site but I have it. If anyone needs it, give me a shout out or pm me.

(I gotta quit checking the forum on my phone!)

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 2:40am

Post #18 of 24 (1313 views)
Shortcut
I found them, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I found them on Amazon like you said, Magpie. Thanks for the info. I like them both.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 2:50am

Post #19 of 24 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for chiming in, Dreamflower [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the LOTR: The Musical as well. You named two of my favorites on there. I also love and think there are some odd lyrics in The Cat and the Moon.. Do you know what they mean by "broadsides went boom"? Also being interested in tall ships, I know what that would mean in a historical nautical sense, but I have no clue what it means in this context. I'm checking out what I can find of your other suggestions on Amazon.

(This post was edited by Ithilisa on Jan 22 2015, 3:02am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 7:20pm

Post #20 of 24 (1309 views)
Shortcut
I have several that make me think of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

and some of the Fellowship or Elves. Here's part of the collection. I know it's a stretch here and there... but what the heck :)

ps... forgive the ads... I tried to lose them :(

I Am The Highway by Audioslave makes me think of Gandalf .
What I've Done by Linkin Park makes me think of Boromir
Don't Panic by Cold Play makes me think the Hobbits and the Fellowship in general.
Rudy (movie) End Credits makes me think of Sam when he and the Hobbits are returning to Hobbiton. They come up a hill and suddenly look down on the Green Dragon and the town. They go down to the GD and Sam finds Rosie. *sigh* It's a whole scene running in my head :)
Run by Snow Patrol makes me think of Frodo leaving Sam at the Havens.
Kathy's Song sung by Eva Cassidy (Simon & Garfunkle) makes me think of Frodo in Valinor thinking of Sam, and Sam waking in Bag End and thinking of Frodo.
Kashmir by Led Zeppelin makes me think of the Elves… especially Elrond/Galadriel, etc.
Ramble On by Led Zeppellin makes me think of someone in Middle-earth… like a Ranger?
Deora Ar Mo Chroi by Enya makes me think of the Dunedain.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 22 2015, 7:21pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2015, 9:13pm

Post #21 of 24 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Lots of good music here Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

That Audioslave album is one great song after another. I Am the Highway is fantastic.

A Sort of Homecoming by U2 always makes me think of Feanor.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 22 2015, 9:13pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 23 2015, 4:30pm

Post #22 of 24 (1289 views)
Shortcut
In the "makes me think of" department [In reply to] Can't Post

- Elgar's "In the South" is always Gondor for me (though he meant it for Italy). It's on YouTube - several times - if anyone would like to hear it.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 4:27am

Post #23 of 24 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the suggestions, grammaboodawg [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to look those up. Smile

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 4:28am

Post #24 of 24 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Na Vedui and Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check those out as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.