Durin's Day - An Astronomical Error?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 2:50pm

Post #1 of 55 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day - An Astronomical Error? Can't Post

"Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.

"The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together."

This question is for someone with better astronomical knowledge than I possess, but should not the moon be full on Durin's Day? Peter Jackson used a cresent moon.

On the other hand, it is no wonder that the dwarves had trouble determining when to expect a Durin's Day. They needed to use both a lunar calendar and a solar calendar to make the calculations.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 18 2015, 7:23pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jan 18 2015, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 55 (1835 views)
Shortcut
Where does it say in that quote [In reply to] Can't Post

That it is a full moon? It just says the last moon of autumn which can be any phase.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 2:56pm

Post #3 of 55 (1811 views)
Shortcut
That is why the question requires some expertise. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That it is a full moon? It just says the last moon of autumn which can be any phase.

I would expect that the phrasing implies a full moon. That is why the question is aimed at someone with some expertise on the subject.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jan 18 2015, 3:09pm

Post #4 of 55 (1801 views)
Shortcut
I know little about Tolkien's mythology [In reply to] Can't Post

But the last moon of autumn to me would mean the moon in the sky on the last day of the season. The phase of the moon is different on that day every year.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 3:22pm

Post #5 of 55 (1798 views)
Shortcut
It might have been a new moon (according to Tolkien) [In reply to] Can't Post

From "On the Doorstep":

If [BIlbo] lifted his head he could see a glimpse of the distant forest. As the sun turned west there was a gleam of yellow upon its far roof, as if the light caught the last pale leaves. Soon he saw the orange ball of the sun sinking towards the level of his eyes. He went to the opening and there pale and faint was a thin new moon above the rim of Earth.

Of course a new moon would not have played well cinematically as Jackson envisioned the scene.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jan 18 2015, 3:42pm

Post #6 of 55 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Where it says thin new moon [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesnt that mean a crescent is starting to form? Otherwise why would it be described as thin?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 3:48pm

Post #7 of 55 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it could have been the beginning of the New Moon, with a thin slice of the moon still visible. Either way, it doesn't match with what was depicted in TH:DoS.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jan 18 2015, 4:04pm

Post #8 of 55 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Either a crescent that is disappearing or that is forming.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2015, 6:42pm

Post #9 of 55 (1712 views)
Shortcut
For it to be A, A a, FULL Moon...? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sun would need to be in
Complete Opposition...

SSOoo.. Bilbo would have had to wait 12 hours
@ the Hidden Door, after OL' SOL had set.

ONLY then
COULD he see the Moonlight...of a FULL Moon.

What was COOL?

Thorin forgot the MOST Important line..

"when the Thrush knocks.."

That whole scene was one the Most STELLAR Scenes
in All 6 Movies.

Bilbo had the presence of Mind to look for the
Tiny Thrush knocking on the Door, getting his
Tiny meal of Snail.

Gets to..Bombyzz HEART every time,

that even? a Tiny
Birdy could play a
BIG Role?
In the World Events in the
Vast Landscapes of MiddeEARTH..

Bomz
Sorry for being
SSOooo.
Sentimental..for even the
Smallest thingiezz

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 18 2015, 6:48pm)

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jan 18 2015, 6:56pm

Post #10 of 55 (1726 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether it's an error or not... But... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is an "astroNOMical" thing, not "astroLOGical" :P

I'm not trying to sound rude here, just to point out a very common mistake that always bugs me.

The Moon can never be full, being at the sky at the same time as the Sun.

Cheers from Saruman

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Jan 18 2015, 6:58pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 7:00pm

Post #11 of 55 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Aaargh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. I meant 'astronomical'. Stupid error on my part! I should have caught that myself.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jan 18 2015, 7:03pm

Post #12 of 55 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku!

everyone makes mistakes, all the time.
It's just that I despise Astrology so much that I can't bear to see it compared to or mistaken by Astronomy.

I love Astronomy, my second favorite author, bested by Tolkien only, is Carl Sagan, author of Cosmos.

Xrs from Saru

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2015, 7:11pm

Post #13 of 55 (1682 views)
Shortcut
As an Aquarius, Double Gemini W/ a Full Moon [In reply to] Can't Post

as My Ascendant? { Onnn..My Horizon line }
Bom likes the

"Silly-ness of that
SSOoo..Called
Science

"Astronomy?"

The MiddleEARTH Maps are....Flat..

Jus' kidding of course

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 18 2015, 7:13pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 7:45pm

Post #14 of 55 (1686 views)
Shortcut
I think Tolkien would have known enough astronomy to realise ... [In reply to] Can't Post

that you cannot get a full Moon during the day. The astronomics of a full Moon is such that it will always rise after sunset. If you have a full Moon, the Sun must be at 180deg to the Moon - that is the Sun is directly opposite to the Moon. In order for the Moon to be visible it must be above the horizon. Therefore, the Sun has to be below the horizon. A full Moon and the Sun cannot be in the sky together.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2015, 7:48pm

Post #15 of 55 (1667 views)
Shortcut
It's been corrected. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 7:54pm

Post #16 of 55 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Not that far off? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Either way, it doesn't match with what was depicted in TH:DoS.

The phase depicted in DOS is a waxing crescent. That's the next phase along from a young Moon (or thin new Moon).

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 18 2015, 8:25pm

Post #17 of 55 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure that's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought if the moon is on the exact opposite side to the sun then it's a new moon, because the Earth is casting its shadow directly over the moon.

Which I guess would mean it would be full when the two are in the sky together? I'm not certain, though.Unsure

*edit* Okay, you're right. A Google has told me what I was thinking of is an eclipse, which is different to the moon phases.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 18 2015, 8:28pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2015, 11:28pm

Post #18 of 55 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think a new moon is implied. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.

"The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together."

The only reason I can think of for Thorin to bring up the New Year moon is that Durin's Day is implied to be a rare astronomical event occurring on the Dwarven New Year. In which case, it would be the first day (new crescent) of the last moon of Autumn appearing in the sky with the sun. All new moons on the threshold of Winter are Dwarven New Years, but not all Dwarven New Years are Durin's Day....at least that's how I read it.

The movie depiction doesn't bother with the tiny crescent moon implied here, possibly because they'd decided to make the "last light of Durin's Day" be the moonlight instead of the last beam of the setting sun and a tiny crescent doesn't cast much in the way of moonbeams.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 11:58pm

Post #19 of 55 (1607 views)
Shortcut
"the first day of the last moon of Autumn" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that might be the last sliver of the waning moon. The Dwarven Scholar seems to be in agreement that the dwarves' New Year is keyed to the New Moon:

...the Dwarven New Year starts on Durin’s Day, which is the day that begins the last cycle of the Moon. When on this day both the Sun and Moon may be seen in the sky together. That places Durin’s Day, anytime between about Oct. 7 and Nov. 6, on the last day before the astronomical new moon as the moon sets just before the sun.

The Scholar does neglect to note that Durin's Day is not an annual event, but his other posts show that he aware of that fact. That also means that my previous calculation for the Dwarven New Year of 2014 (present day) was off by half-a-month. It should have fallen on October 22. If I have it right, in 2015 it will fall on October 11.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 19 2015, 12:13am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 12:56am

Post #20 of 55 (1595 views)
Shortcut
The full moon is opposite the sun. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why it's full: that the sun shines directly on it. The full moon rises exactly at sunset.

For it to be Durin's day:

1) "first day of the last moon of Autumn"
a) that means it's a new moon (the first day of this lunar cycle)
b) the "last moon of Autumn" means it's the last new moon before Dec. 21, which is the winter solstice and the first day of winter.

2) "when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together"
a) a new moon is very near the sun (which is why we can't see but a sliver of it, because the illuminated side is the side toward the sun and away from us).
b) the moon and sun are in the sky together means the moon cannot be full, because the night of the full moon the moon rises at sunset, and for the next half of the cycle the moon is visible at night, not in the daytime.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 19 2015, 12:57am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 1:04am

Post #21 of 55 (1585 views)
Shortcut
What's your definition of Autumn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dates seem very early. Technically, Autumn is between Sept. 21 (autumnal equinox = end of Summer) and Dec. 21 (winter solstice = beginning of winter).

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 1:30am

Post #22 of 55 (1578 views)
Shortcut
I think it means the last lunar cycle. [In reply to] Can't Post

The word "moon" is often used to mean lunar cycle as well as the celestial body itself, as in "many moons ago..." meaning many months.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 19 2015, 1:32am)

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Jan 19 2015, 1:31am

Post #23 of 55 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Maybe things work differently in Middle Earth... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember, the Sun is (apparently) pulled by Tilion, who is the moon god, based on the Silmarillion. Maybe he was chasing Arien and got off course again:)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 2:43am

Post #24 of 55 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Autumn as per Shire Reckoning [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your dates seem very early. Technically, Autumn is between Sept. 21 (autumnal equinox = end of Summer) and Dec. 21 (winter solstice = beginning of winter).

The Hobbits, the Elves of Rivendell and the Men of Gondor observe the middle of the seasons on (or near) the solstices and equinoxes. The Dwarves seem to do the same. That makes our September 21 (more-or-less) mid-autumn. Based on this, Winter starts on or around November 9

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 19 2015, 2:46am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 2:53am

Post #25 of 55 (1569 views)
Shortcut
What is Myth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Tolkien apparently went back-and-forth on what constituted the history of Middle-earth and what was myth even within his legendarium. Still, Middle-earth was meant to be a mythic version of our own world. So, the solar year is our solar year. The phases of the moon our our phases of the moon. Shire Reckoning even included a Leap Year.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.