Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Drowning Galadriel" ... explanation? ;o)

TiberiusOgden
Bree

Jan 17 2015, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 7 (1700 views)
Shortcut
"Drowning Galadriel" ... explanation? ;o) Can't Post

In the the extended edition of FOTR (with director's commentary) during the mirror of Galadriel scene, Jackson basically said his idea was that, with Nenya, Galadriel's element was water.

So, every time she sort of embraces this power, she takes on the appearance of a drowned (or drowning) woman ...

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Jan 17 2015, 5:34pm

Post #2 of 7 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the first time I have heard an explanation that makes any sense whatsoever of the fact that Galadriel suddenly looks like a green version of Samara from The Ring when she takes on Sauron in the Dol Guldor scene. Very interesting idea.

I must say however that although it is a very interesting idea, it is also one that probably sounded amazing sitting around a table with the design and FX teams yet would make little to no sense at all to a film viewer who was not privy to those meetings and just got to see what shows up on screen.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 17 2015, 6:45pm

Post #3 of 7 (1263 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I said "Run, It's that chick from The Ring" lol

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 17 2015, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad one of us was paying attention, Tiberius. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. She does look rather like a more angry "Drowned Ophelia".

"Lord, we know what we are, but know not what we may be.
Instead of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Tempestuous as the sea, and stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!”

Poor little Ophelia could have used just a bit of that.

TiberiusOgden
Bree

Jan 17 2015, 8:37pm

Post #5 of 7 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Yes ... But .. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was mentioned by chance. I do not understand why it did not explain better, and also in other places.

And supposedly look Galadriel in the last film was the idea of G. de Toro. Philippa Boyens wanted the look from the Fellowship of the Ring. But these are only rumors

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 17 2015, 9:52pm

Post #6 of 7 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Did not see that until now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much and what great detail in these films!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2015, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 7 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Ah, right... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I remember now reading in the new Chronicles books about the designers for Galadriel's dress in this scene using Undine (Ondine) the water nymph as a starting point...makes sense in that context!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.