Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So how was the treasured shared, if at all?

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 3:33pm

Post #1 of 12 (1246 views)
Shortcut
So how was the treasured shared, if at all? Can't Post

I can't believe The Hobbit was turned into three movies and Bilbo still ends up rushing home before we see how everything is resolved. We didn't get a funeral scene with the Arkenstone, or Dain being crowned King, or anything, really.

Dain was introduced as someone less agreeable than Thorin, and was more than willing to fight off the men and elves. So, at the conclusion of the battle, where is it hinted that Dain will share the wealth with the men and elves? The elves themselves were ready to depart before the battle was even over, when it does end who's to say they didn't just leave? And without their help, the men would have no chance of getting the gold from the dwarves.

Whose share would the gold come from that everyone is supposed to get? Does Dain and his company get the shares of Kili, Fili, and Thorin? Does Dain even honor the company's pact of treasure sharing or does he claim all the wealth to be his as king? Do the rest of the company have to spend their own money to satisfy the men and elves? I hope this is all addressed in the EE.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 16 2015, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 12 (967 views)
Shortcut
Dain gets dragon sickness and refuses to share the gold... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the people of Laketown are left poor and homeless and eventually die due to Dain's greed (which is why they don't help at any point in LotR). Thranduil goes back to Mirkwood and stays a recluse, minding his own business (which is why he's not in LotR).

You can't prove it wrong, so that's what happened Wink

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 4:24pm

Post #3 of 12 (954 views)
Shortcut
If we're being honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's EXACTLY what the film foreshadows. By creating this "dragon sickness" as a way to explain why Thorin is a jerk (he was just a greedy jerk in the book, no more), you create a huge problem; anyone who inherits the throne and this wealth is going to get this sickness. By not showing how Dain would share the wealth after the battle, it is implied that Dain will become just as sick as Thorin was.

Why the movie didn't take two minutes to show a bit of Dain's rule is very confusing. It's as if PJ rushes Bilbo out of the mountain to avoid the plothole of dragon sickness.

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jan 16 2015, 4:49pm

Post #4 of 12 (924 views)
Shortcut
Dragon Sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression from the films that Dragon Sickness was hereditary, rather than linked to the kingship specifically.

And the book does say that the Lake-town Men received one fourteenth of the treasure, seemingly Bilbo's share (except for his two small chests). Bilbo probably gives his treasure to them in the film as well.

I agree that all of these issues should have been clearly addressed though.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 16 2015, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 12 (909 views)
Shortcut
But hereditary from where? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was Thror the first or his father? If Thror's father (Dain I) also had the potential for dragon sickness, surely Dain Ironfoot would too?

Thorin's family tree - http://mulubinba.typepad.com/...f0148c7e88771970c-pi

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 12 (901 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo has no treasure to give [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo took the Arkenstone, which was his share of the treasure. He has no money left to give. To get the Arkenstone back, the dwarves will have to give up part of their share across the board, or use the shares from one of the dead dwarves. What they did was left unanswered, especially Dain's reaction to it.

(This post was edited by stoutfiles on Jan 16 2015, 5:22pm)

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 16 2015, 9:33pm

Post #7 of 12 (800 views)
Shortcut
In the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf says it will affect anyone, not just someone in a hereditary line. Except Bilbo of course, because he's a Hobbit...I guess.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 16 2015, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 12 (766 views)
Shortcut
I thought the only races of ME [In reply to] Can't Post

that valued gold were the dwarves and men...don't see the elves or hobbits having much use for gold....preferred music, nature, good food, friends, fine horses...
Thranduil wanted his dead wifes jewels returned...

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2015, 11:34pm

Post #9 of 12 (777 views)
Shortcut
I think Bilbo´s keeping the Troll gold chest is a bad thing from his part because... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps this makes no sense , but he could had kept his fourteenth share or at least the same ammount as the chest but taken from erebor´s hoard. The gold in the Troll hoard was stolen from someone, and perhaps it wasnt totally impossible to figure out who in order to retrieve it

ok no sense XD

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Noria
Gondor

Jan 17 2015, 1:01am

Post #10 of 12 (762 views)
Shortcut
Leaving the book aside… [In reply to] Can't Post

Where is it indicated in the TE of BOTFA that Dain will be the next King-Under-the-Mountain? We don’t know if he even survives and he’s just Thorin’s cousin and the Lord of the Iron Hills. From what we're shown, nobody seems to be in charge after the battle unless it's Balin and we all know where he stands. It works, if you've never read the book.

However, I do hope that the ending of the EE to be closer to that of the book, with a funeral, a coronation and the distribution of the hoard, as well as something about Thranduil and Tauriel. IMO it's the fact that Dain is willing to share the treasure that really entitles him to be king, not his heredity or badassery.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2015, 8:16am

Post #11 of 12 (735 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil is in LOTR, although indirectly: [In reply to] Can't Post

by sending Legolas as his Emissary to the Council of Elrond (and by Legolas going on as part of the Fellowship).
At the end of this film Thranduil starts setting things in motion himself by his advice to Legolas to seek the Dunedain and particularly Strider...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2015, 4:01pm

Post #12 of 12 (659 views)
Shortcut
PJ's priorities... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just seen this and had to share! Laugh

https://40.media.tumblr.com/...Cx1tphrr4o1_1280.jpg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.