Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- March 8, 2007

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 8 2007, 12:21pm

Post #1 of 23 (372 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- March 8, 2007 Can't Post

Good morning, fellow travellers! I trust all your walks are going well. Spring seemed to be here for a day or two, then winter decided it wanted another shot so itís back to being cold! and windy, and even a little snowy. In the meantime, I find myself in Ithilien, soon to meet up with Faramir and his men. Iím looking forward to a decent nightís sleep in Henneth Annun.

Iím going to need a sub to run the thread on April 5; if youíre interested, send me a private message.

From The Hobbit, ďAn Unexpected Party.Ē The dwarves have been singing of the arrival of the dragon and the loss of their home, as Bilbo sits in a corner listening.

ďThen something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick. He looked out of the window. The stars were out in a dark sky above the trees. He thought of the jewels of the dwarves shining in dark caverns. Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up Ė probably somebody lighting a wood-fire Ė and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr. Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again.Ē
Little did Bilbo know that he was not to remain plain Mr. Baggins for long, whether he liked it or not! I hope we all find some fun adventures that leave us changed for the good.

Donít forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursday mornings.
Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2007, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 23 (297 views)
Shortcut
A little progress [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a busy and very cold week here, but I did manage a little progress. Not enough to hit any milestones on my way south to Moria, but then again, I'm not so sure I want to get there anyway!

Notta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2007, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 23 (304 views)
Shortcut
Cripes! These people are in no hurry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy Miradan and All! Spring isn't even teasing us here, yet... but next week is supposed to warm right up!!!!!

I'm still with the Company travelling from Minas Tirith to Rohan to honour Theoden... then we're on to Isengard. We should be arriving to Edoras next week, if all goes well :)

Thanks for taking such good care of us!! Message on its way!

Cheers, y'all! Keep on truckin'!!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Mar 8 2007, 3:24pm

Post #4 of 23 (324 views)
Shortcut
My 'No Progress' report! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone!!

No progress really this week - I have been sitting it out mostly, walking to the shops doesnt count! but all hope is not lost! I might be able to add some miles on Saturday, which I am looking forward to. I'll need to by then Wink before you all take the sunshine away for a few months - its getting a bit chilly here now.

Thanks Miradan and everyone!

Heart Elven x

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 8 2007, 4:38pm

Post #5 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
Eeek! Just met the Black Rider for the first time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our school is sponsoring a stepping contest. They handed out pedometers and we're supposed to keep track for the month of March. I've been averaging about 10,000 steps a day (the recommended number for good health.) I figure about 6000 of those are normal daily routine (based on a day I didn't exercise). So I'm only counting the steps beyond that. I go walking in the morning for about half an hour, so I think that's about right. They told us to figure 1.5 feet per step, so I multiply by 1.5 and divide by 5280 to get my mileage. Works out to an average of a little over a mile a day. Not much compared to what I often do in the summer, but pretty good for winter. I've mostly been walking labyrinth patterns, which keeps me from getting bored.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2007, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 23 (282 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I think [In reply to] Can't Post

ANY walking that's aside from buzzing around the house should count. I'd think anything that's causing you to stretch out and MOVE counts! Cripes... I counted power-walking from one end of the airport to the other TWICE (thang you very buch) as mileage.

I hope you can get out this weekend. It's supposed to warm up here into the (dare I say it) 30s! THEN 40s with a teaser of 50s by next weekend!!! Be still my beating heart!

Have a great weekend :)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2007, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 23 (293 views)
Shortcut
*swoon* Math! omg! [In reply to] Can't Post

But that makes total sense! Good for you! I can't WAIT for the weather to break here.

That sounds like a good contest... and I hope you have a lot of people participating. Pedometers is a real incentive, fersher!

TALLY HO!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2007, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
The only one anxious to get to Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

that I know of is Gimli... and he was thoroughly bummed when he got there. Yeah... take your time ;)

Have a great weekend!

sample sample

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 8 2007, 5:47pm

Post #9 of 23 (288 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been officially "Walking to Rivendell." [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been trying to do more walking. I keep busting my pedometers, though.

I need to find a decent one (without a stupid spring clip) and make a stronger effort to get moving. This business of going to the fitness center only on the weekends just isn't cutting it.

Childrenís Interpretations of the Bible

Lotís wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 1:38am

Post #10 of 23 (265 views)
Shortcut
funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Only Gmili ever seems to be the one eager to visit Moria. Something about ripe/red meat off the bone. . .

Just focus on the fact that reaching Moria would mean you aren't far from Lorien Wink

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 1:39am

Post #11 of 23 (282 views)
Shortcut
Well, you don't rush [In reply to] Can't Post

A funeral procession. Proper respect to Theoden and all. Still, does make you wish for transporter beams!

Have a great weekend.

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 1:41am

Post #12 of 23 (266 views)
Shortcut
it can count if you want it too [In reply to] Can't Post

I count all the walking I do outside, even when it isn't strictly "exercise" -- you get a lot of walking in just living in New York City.

Time to start brainstorming for how to get miles in during the winter, though.

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 1:42am

Post #13 of 23 (272 views)
Shortcut
There's more where that one came from [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately. Many dangerous miles to Rivendell, indeed.

Have fun with the pedometer -- my dad uses one to count his mileage and really likes it.

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 1:43am

Post #14 of 23 (283 views)
Shortcut
From what I recall [In reply to] Can't Post

Of discussions regarding pedometers on the Yahoo Walk group, there's no perfect one -- the cheap ones break easily and aren't accurate, the expensive ones break just as easily. I think some folk have like the gps ones, though.

Kethry
Lorien

Mar 9 2007, 5:04am

Post #15 of 23 (300 views)
Shortcut
Still moving along [In reply to] Can't Post

Trudging my way South. A little bored, the mountains just don't seem to change at all. Eventually we'll get to something interesting. I'm only about 75 miles from Rivendell, but I'm still moving. Actually, my cardio workouts are getting me further, as I'm getting used to it. So I can go a little faster, cover a little more distance. Of course then my trainer worked mostly my legs today, so I don't know how far I'll be able to go tomorrow. Oh well. But I feel good when I work out, and I certainly notice it when I don't.

"Security is mostly superstition. . . . Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." ~Helen Keller

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 11:54am

Post #16 of 23 (261 views)
Shortcut
The journey south [In reply to] Can't Post

From Rivendell is indeed kinda dull -- I think you've got at least a hundred miles before anything changes. Sounds like you're making great progress, though.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 3:19pm

Post #17 of 23 (299 views)
Shortcut
Miles for the winter [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing this for about an hour a day:
labyrinth walking

I use four candles in a darkened room and walk around them. I don't worry too much about following the prescribed pattern, though I try to stick to it. After ten minutes or so I get into a really meditative state, and time goes by without me really being aware of it. It might not work for other people, but it's been a great way for me to put in the miles.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 5:02pm

Post #18 of 23 (262 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very zen... I'll have to be careful I don't get so mellow I fall down! Or I catch the cat on fire with candles on the floor ;)

sample sample

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2007, 3:43am

Post #19 of 23 (277 views)
Shortcut
An off week [In reply to] Can't Post

Make that a koff week. *koff, koff*
The kids were sick, I was sick. Sure, I wasn't pierced with a Morgul blade or rammed with a cave troll's spear, but as long as I wasn't being chased by orcs, I thought it was safe to take the week off.

Where's Frodo?

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 12 2007, 1:07am

Post #20 of 23 (251 views)
Shortcut
definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Better to give yourself the time to heal by taking time off from the Road, than pushing too hard and making yourself sicker. Hope you're feeling better.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 2:45am

Post #21 of 23 (291 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to look for one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I can find a fitness store that will have one a little higher quality than the cheapos I get at Target.

I took a nice long walk this afternoon! I was going to go to the gym, but the sunshine was so glorious that it seemed a crime to be inside. I was out for two hours, so I probably did 5 1/2 - 6 miles. (Yes, I do tend to be an overdo-er...) But I stuck to the bike path rather than walking in the cemetery next door, because in the cemetery I tend to saunter because I'm looking at stuff.

• Lotís wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

Aunt Dora Baggins
    Immortal

Mar 12 2007, 3:11pm

Post #22 of 23 (290 views)
    Shortcut
    The one I'm using [In reply to] Can't Post

must not be very expensive, because the school bought a hundred of them and handed them out for free. It does seem to be pretty sturdy, but it's probably not accurate; if I walk a mile it registers about 3500 steps, which should be about right, but if I snowshoe a mile it only registers 1000 steps, and I know snowshoeing is more work than walking. I stil like it, though. I'll try to find out what brand it is.

RosieLass
    Valinor

Mar 13 2007, 1:39am

Post #23 of 23 (315 views)
    Shortcut
    That will be helpful, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one I liked the best was the one I got for free when I joined 24 Hour Fitness. It's electronic and showed not only steps but miles and calories burned. But the clip broke off. The others have all had cheapo spring clips, and I always wind up snapping off the piece that holds it to the spring.

• Lotís wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.