Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Forgotten Silver" remembered: Empire article on PJ's famous spoof.

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 12:53am

Post #1 of 11 (298 views)
Shortcut
"Forgotten Silver" remembered: Empire article on PJ's famous spoof. Can't Post

http://www.empireonline.com/...son-forgotten-silver

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2015, 1:59am

Post #2 of 11 (218 views)
Shortcut
I remember that furore. [In reply to] Can't Post

News media ran stories that people were furious about being duped. I'm gullible enough that I would have fallen for it but I actually didn't watch it on TV when it screened!

That is a fascinating part of the interview with the actor who played Colin McKenzie:

"I remember watching it in Napier, which is four hours north of Wellington, with my parents and a good friend of ours. And she was buying it, even though I was sitting there next to her! It's extraordinary; I couldn't quite figure it out."

Us humans really do lose our logic when we badly want to believe, don't we?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 2:28am

Post #3 of 11 (209 views)
Shortcut
I have a copy of the article published in the NZ Listener previewing the film...... [In reply to] Can't Post

and some of the viewers letters published afterwards.
The Editor said (Of the writers of the 24 letters the Listener has received..... 16 express disapproval, five approve and three still believe.)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2015, 2:31am

Post #4 of 11 (206 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and three still believe.)

That is too precious for words. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 4:09am

Post #5 of 11 (206 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could say [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't fooled at the time, but...I was. And everyone I knew was fooled too. There were moments during the programme where I really thought it was getting too ridiculous, but then something serious and seemingly authentic would convince me it was true. Plus, I really, really wanted it to be true, so maybe that was a factor.
I never understood why some people got so angry about it when they found out they had been fooled - it was such a brilliant trick, I was full of admiration for the effort that went into such an elaborate and convincing hoax.

Still wish it was true...

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 5:02am

Post #6 of 11 (206 views)
Shortcut
Found this fascinating piece about reactions etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/mock-doc/fs.shtml

Info. about availability
http://www.nzvideos.org/forgotten.html

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2015, 12:35pm

Post #7 of 11 (188 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it's getting hard to find! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad I picked up my copy when I saw it in a "bargain display" about 5 years ago...Cool

It really is very, very well made. "Salome" is a hoot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15 2015, 4:58pm

Post #8 of 11 (183 views)
Shortcut
I bought a VHS copy before LOTR even came out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved it. And was very reassured by his "lost city" in the jungle - that made me more confident that he could pull off Minas Tirith.

Ah, the days when no one had heard of Peter Jackson. Or Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, David Wenham, Miranda Otto, or Karl Urban. Bernard Hill & Viggo Mortensen were vaguely known, mostly as character actors.

And Richard Armitage wasn't even above the horizon yet.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 11 (198 views)
Shortcut
No one who knows even a little about film should have been fooled. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it at a film festival where the program described it as a documentary without giving away the joke, but it was clear within the first few minutes that Jackson & Co. were having fun. Too many of the references to real film history were incorrect. For instance, as I recall, their fictional movie pioneer Colin McKenzie is described as having made the first feature film, beating D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation, which was released in 1915. But film histories generally credit The Story of the Kelly Gang, a 1906 film from Australia, as the first feature. There were numerous other "mistakes", presumably deliberate, that would clue in anyone with even a cursory knowledge of cinema's origins. So that film professor referenced in the article should feel very ashamed.

But it was still a very good time! Having also mildly enjoyed the only other Jackson film I'd seen at the time, Brain Dead (titled Dead-Alive on the video I'd seen), I was warmly inclined when it was announced not too long after that he'd be directing The Lord of the Rings.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 17 2015, 11:32am

Post #10 of 11 (156 views)
Shortcut
That's right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it at a film festival where the program described it as a documentary without giving away the joke, but it was clear within the first few minutes that Jackson & Co. were having fun.

There were visual hints, such as PJ walking ahead of the camera, 'leading us up the garden path'... (ETAL Oh I see this is mentioned in the Empire article, which I read after posting)

And at one stage he opens an old chest or container (where the old reels of film were apparently found) with a picture of a bull on the lid. (Oh and this was too! One of the main things I recalled during all the fuss on NZ media the following day.)

I watched it on its first TV showing and was taken in.. and was absolutely delighted to find out it was a hoax and a delightful trick. Smile

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jan 17 2015, 11:39am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2015, 7:35pm

Post #11 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

But the average New Zealander, watching it at home on TV, in the respectable Sunday night Masterpiece Theatre slot, was quite understandably taken in. And we couldn't then go to our computers and look up the 'real' Colin McKenzie, as you would now.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.