Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 14 2015, 5:19am

Post #1 of 50 (959 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

For those who watched Agent Carter... did you catch the actor/actress making a brief appearance in tonight's episode that is surely going to be playing a larger role in the future (by virtue of the fact that s/he is not a 'bit actor')?

I wouldn't have recognized the person but I caught their name in the credits.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 14 2015, 5:19am)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 14 2015, 6:13am

Post #2 of 50 (680 views)
Shortcut
Agent Carter [In reply to] Can't Post

Another really great episode. Which actress are you referring to? The one who played Dottie? No one's name jumped out at me in the credits...

#OneLastTime

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2015, 7:18am

Post #3 of 50 (673 views)
Shortcut
Me either, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm convinced that the shooter was a woman, so perhaps we have an undercover agent/antagonist here?

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kim
Valinor

Jan 14 2015, 7:28am

Post #4 of 50 (667 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Dottie was the shooter? Shocked

#OneLastTime

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 8:56am

Post #5 of 50 (694 views)
Shortcut
I made an unexpected mistake last night [In reply to] Can't Post

and went to the cinema in order to watch "Into the Woods". Perhaps,one of the worst,cheesiest,dullest musicals i have seen in a very long time. Apart from some brilliant, acting mainly from Streep and Blunt, this film left me completely cold,especially in the last disastrous 35 minutes. Not a single memorable tune or song also hurt it in my opinion.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 9:46am

Post #6 of 50 (675 views)
Shortcut
The Wind Rises [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really kicking myself that I missed this on the big screen. It had a short run and I just wasn't quick enough.

It's a stunning, beautiful, romantic and thought provoking film. I don't think anyone can come near Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli when it comes to depictions of water, and sky, and land. The scenes of the development of aeroplane design are tense and beautiful at the same time, with the background of the buildup to war, not to mention the best depiction of an earthquake I have ever seen. The character of Jiro is beautifully developed, and the love story is truthful.
I have long been a big fan of Miyazaki, and this, the last film before his retirement, is absolutely wonderful. His films always have an underlying sense of beauty and loss and sadness, but also hope. The dream sequences in this film are an added and thoughtful layer.

I can't recommend this highly enough - divine.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2015, 1:46pm

Post #7 of 50 (641 views)
Shortcut
This is a great movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Really beautiful and moving and completely different than any other animated movie I've ever seen.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 50 (643 views)
Shortcut
Still working my way through Morse [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm appreciating the details the writers and composer put in the spin off series even more this time. I like the way they developed Hathaway into an almost prototype Morse. Lewis has an understanding from working with Morse of the kind of personality that Hathaway has. He's in a position to better nurture the talent and the man. As much as Fred Thursday tried, I don't think he was able to help Morse in the way Lewis seems to be able to help Hathaway.

I'd love to find a list somewhere of all the music used in the 3 series - Endeavour, Morse and Lewis - by episode. I recognize a good portion of it but can't remember titles.

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 4:09pm

Post #9 of 50 (634 views)
Shortcut
Guardians of the Galaxy on DVD; In Bruges on TV. [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked my kids to get me GotG for Xmas but they gave me Frozen instead, sigh. I bought my own and watched it yesterday. Very amusing and entertaining - much better than The Avengers, for instance. I found the 3D utterly beautiful and the characters very likeable.

Last week, I sat up late to watch In Bruges with Colin Farrell on TV. I heard good things about it when it first came out and I would agree that this is an excellent film with great acting, great script and a really scary villain, portrayed by Ralph Fiennes. Bruges looked lovely: I really must visit one day. However, I told my daughter to watch it and she said she had already seen it and had found it boring.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 14 2015, 4:32pm

Post #10 of 50 (644 views)
Shortcut
Guardians of the Galaxy; Firefly [In reply to] Can't Post

We got both of these for The Little Eruvandes for Christmas. We can't get enough of either of them. We're currently binging on Firefly in 15 minute spurts. Little Eruvande will put it on after he and his brother are dressed for school and watch while I get myself together. Then we watch again right after school while they eat a snack and before homework starts.

Also, the "it" thing amongst the young teens in our family is a record player. That plays vinyl. Little Eruvande got one for Christmas and so did his cousins. Mr. Eruvande found a vinyl copy of the GotG soundtrack! (Well, I guess a lot of those songs were originally released on vinyl. Laugh) So we have been playing the GotG soundtrack as well. Other vinyl hits inclued "The Cars" by the Cars; "Rock and Roll Over" by KISS; ACDC Live; and "Joshua Tree" by U2. It's deja vu all over again! Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Annael
Immortal

Jan 14 2015, 4:38pm

Post #11 of 50 (640 views)
Shortcut
I must confess [In reply to] Can't Post

Sondheim's music has never done much for me. As a singer I find it incredibly boring.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jan 14 2015, 4:42pm

Post #12 of 50 (623 views)
Shortcut
me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

The shooter looked very svelte.

I was immediately suspicious of the tall girl who moved in (too tall for a ballerina!), but I can't say I recognized her.

Another awesome episode. Sousa's face when whosit told him "a girl's never going to trade in a red, white, and blue shield for an aluminum crutch" . . . Enver Gjokaj deserves to go very far.

Anyone else intrigued by the trailer for "The Loft" starring Our Karl?

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2015, 8:36pm

Post #13 of 50 (614 views)
Shortcut
Taken 3 - 0/5, The Lego Movie - 2/5, The Monuments Men - 2/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a great week for movies!

A friend wanted to see Taken 3 as he liked the first two films (I hated the first one as it came across as the scriptwriter's personal fantasy and I didn't see the second film). I knew Taken 3 had mediocre reviews but wow, they had been kind. Taken 3 proves that not even Liam Neeson can save a film with a boring plot, obvious twist, ham-fisted editing and unoriginal set-pieces.

I finally got to see The Lego Movie and was disappointed to be bored with it. It just felt contrived from start to finish. Clearly, I'm well outside the intended demographic!

The Monuments Men is worth seeing for the fabulous cast, but the story itself is a bit thin.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 9:15pm

Post #14 of 50 (621 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm in the minority [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as liking The Monuments Men. I admit it probably helped that I'm enough of an art buff that I'm aware of the significance of the Bruges Madonna and especially the Ghent Altarpiece (a/k/a Adoration of the Mystic Lamb), although I haven't gotten to Belgium (yet). I think we got to know the men well enough to care about what happened to them, and I like that we were presented with the facts and allowed to draw our own conclusion about whether or not the art was worth the effort and sacrifices made for it.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 9:21pm

Post #15 of 50 (593 views)
Shortcut
With you on Bruges. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really want to go eventually, along with Brussels, Ghent and Antwerp.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 9:28pm

Post #16 of 50 (603 views)
Shortcut
I never miss an opportunity to plug this documentary [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rape of Europa is very, very good, and tells the real story of the looting of art treasures.
I didn't bother with The Monuments Men.

I was completely bored by the Lego movie as well. I watched it with kids at school and we also had lego there for them to play with. About two thirds of them played with the lego the whole time and a third watched the movie.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 15 2015, 12:45am

Post #17 of 50 (580 views)
Shortcut
The mystery person... [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught the name in the opening credits: Bridget Regan

She's not a huge name but she's not a bit player, either. She played Kahlan Amnell in the Legend of the Seeker and she was a major player in season 5 of White Collar.

She's big enough that she isn't in there for a throwaway role. And yes, she was the tall woman who came into the boarding house after the other one got kicked out.

I'm guessing she was the shooter dressed like a man.

Interestingly, her name had stuck with me well enough from LotS that I caught it as soon as it appeared in the White Collar credits, as well. After watching her in White Collar (where she appeared in 10 out of 13 episodes and had a pivotal role), I was ready to bet she's taking on a major role in this show, as well. But if I hadn't caught her name, I don't think I would have recognized her from that really quick scene.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2015, 2:02am

Post #18 of 50 (580 views)
Shortcut
The burning of artworks was a travesty. [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching it happen in the film was horrible.

Thanks for that link - I'll bookmark the page to watch the video later.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 15 2015, 2:02am)

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 6:53am

Post #19 of 50 (561 views)
Shortcut
On my list. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also regret not catching this on the big screen. I just watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind last weekend. I didn't overly enjoy it, as I feel that Miyazaki's allegorical hammer hits one on the head a bit too strong, sometimes.

But yes, visually and tonally he is a master of masters.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Patty
Immortal

Jan 16 2015, 9:46am

Post #20 of 50 (538 views)
Shortcut
Keep plugging it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I followed your suggestion and found the rape of Europa to be an excellent documentary. Thanks again.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jan 16 2015, 9:49am

Post #21 of 50 (551 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you in this minority… [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the monuments men very much, and it was my introduction to this entire event, because I was unaware of it before. Obviously the movie that Starling suggested, the rape of Europa, is a much more detailed movie documentary, but I really believe this had value too.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 16 2015, 9:53am

Post #22 of 50 (551 views)
Shortcut
Guardians of the galaxy… [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't that taken with the storyline, not nearly as much as I loved the Avengers. But I saw guardians for the first time at home in 3-D and it is absolutely an awesome picture, although the shifting aspect ratios were a little distracting to me. I think this movie is an even more impressive example of what 3-D can be then Avatar was. But I am more locked in to that part of the Marvel universe that is Ironman, Thor, etc.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 16 2015, 9:57am

Post #23 of 50 (565 views)
Shortcut
Magpie, I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank you for leading this forum thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I so much appreciate you giving us advance information and knowledge of the shows that we all fan girl or fanboy over. There's been several times I would've missed something if it hadn't been for your information. Thanks a bunch --you do a great job!

Heart

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 4:27pm

Post #24 of 50 (534 views)
Shortcut
A Midsomer Murders episode with Orlando Bloom [In reply to] Can't Post

We're finally getting the long-running British mystery series Midsomer Murders here. The stories are entertaining if a bit repetitive. Like in any series, some scripts are better than others. One of the pleasures of the series is seeing actors we recognize from other places.

We were tickled that last night's episode, part one of Judgement Day, featured a very young Orlando Bloom. He plays a sexy, cocky young guy who goes from criminal to murder victim by the end of the episode.

What really amused us was a moment completely unnecessary for the plot, where Barnaby and Troy, the detectives, go to visit an old manor house. (One of the pleasures of the series is the gorgeous English villages and old houses.) On the gateway is the word "Lothlorian" (Yes, misspelled, with an "a".) Barnaby proceeds to explain to Troy where the word comes from, and Troy replies he started The Hobbit once, but couldn't get into a book with "fairies". Then the plot proceeds.

I looked up the date this episode was originally broadcast: 2000. So Bloom was already playing Legolas when it was filmed. The "Lothlorian" sign looked like it had been there for many years, so, since I've seen British houses named "Rivendell" and the like, I'm wondering if the producers found a gateway with the appropriate name in their filming area and incorporated the short scene into the story in honor of their soon-to-be-illustrious guest star.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 7:30pm

Post #25 of 50 (527 views)
Shortcut
I've seen that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there an unfortunate incident involving a pitchfork?
I couldn't get over how young Orlando Bloom looked. And I happened to catch a bit of Black Hawk Down on telly the other night. Honestly, he looks about 12 in this!

(This post was edited by Starling on Jan 16 2015, 7:36pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.