Sharkey
The Shire

Jan 13 2015, 11:11pm

Post #1 of 33 (1266 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Tear Can't Post

Shed during my third viewing.
Each time I reacted emotionally do different moments:
1st- Thorin's death of course, but I was so affected by Thorin's almost magnetic attraction to Azog under the ice. Talk about personification of a tragic flaw. Bilbo and Gandalf w/ his pipe.
2nd- Tried being open to Kili's death scene. Still not digging it. Biggest emotion felt? Anger at Bolg's satisfied smirk. This time it was the first shot of the Shire that got me.

3rd- An amazingly cool moment in context- The last shot of young Bilbo peering down at the ring. What a perfect face Freeman chose. My god, he's so perfect in the ring scenes.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 13 2015, 11:30pm

Post #2 of 33 (679 views)
Shortcut
Martin [In reply to] Can't Post

is perfect in all scenes.Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 13 2015, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 33 (747 views)
Shortcut
The most unexpectedly emotional moment in my third viewing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was when Thorin says "Durin's folk do not run from a fight". This moment between Kili and Thorin where they discuss going out into the battle is pretty hard-hitting when you know how it ends up for both of them.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 13 2015, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 33 (654 views)
Shortcut
All these things [In reply to] Can't Post

And what QuackingTroll mentions, are so incredibly moving for me. They are just a few such scenarios involving these brilliant actors playing wonderful scenes. (Well, your number three is not moving, but it is a great moment nonetheless, showing the power the ring exerts on Bilbo in a sort of amusing way, given his expression.)

I also adore Thorin with Roac – he looks so like the bird, and they really appear to understand each other.

Fantastic stuff.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 12:37am

Post #5 of 33 (588 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was when Thorin says "Durin's folk do not run from a fight". This moment between Kili and Thorin where they discuss going out into the battle is pretty hard-hitting when you know how it ends up for both of them.

There is so much going on in that scene. I was looking at gifs of it the other day and there is so much going on emotionally between them, that passes between their expressions, it's interesting, as well as emotional.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 12:59am

Post #6 of 33 (618 views)
Shortcut
The acorn scene [In reply to] Can't Post

A stab to the heart, in a good way.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 1:08am

Post #7 of 33 (586 views)
Shortcut
Thorin being drawn to Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Was awfully good, I thought. A great visual metaphor.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 1:09am

Post #8 of 33 (610 views)
Shortcut
About the acorn scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are oaks growing in the Shire, Bilbo has acorn motifs on his clothes and probably around his house. He has pine cones scattered around the house, so I'd imagine acorns as well, although I haven't looked for them.

I just wonder, if he has so much acorn stuff and oaks are apparently common in the Shire, why steal an acorn from Beorn? I realise he took a few other things as well, but the acorn seems odd...

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 1:13am

Post #9 of 33 (581 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered this question for a long time. Seconds after I post it I thought of an answer [In reply to] Can't Post

So typical, haha!

Anyway, he probably took it because he was home-sick and it reminded him of home Laugh

Sorry Tongue

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 1:14am

Post #10 of 33 (550 views)
Shortcut
I guess you've never taken a pebble from a beach on a far flung holiday [In reply to] Can't Post

Because you have perfectly good rocks at home?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 14 2015, 1:21am

Post #11 of 33 (561 views)
Shortcut
The Acorn might not have made it to the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

According to TH:BotFA Chronicles: Art & Design, Bilbo ended up planting the acorn in Dale on his way home.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 1:30am

Post #12 of 33 (564 views)
Shortcut
*Sob* [In reply to] Can't Post

So, tho I prefer to think of Bilbo planting the acorn in the Shire - I certainly HOPE soFrown - I suppose re the DOS EE, Bilbo could remember Balin talking about how there were once trees, filled with birdsong.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 1:30am

Post #13 of 33 (537 views)
Shortcut
That's funny, I was just reading Ataahua's thread in Off topic [In reply to] Can't Post

Where they'e discussing this very thing. I'm personally not a sentimental person (I don't even like photographs). But I do understand the gesture, it's a fair point.

Also, as I said above, he probably saw it at the time as a reminder of home. Smile

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 1:34am

Post #14 of 33 (539 views)
Shortcut
I'd hoped it would turn into the party tree... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think at the end of the film the party tree is already there. I'm not sure how I feel about Dale, it doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe if there's a scene explaining it I'd change my mind.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 2:28am

Post #15 of 33 (513 views)
Shortcut
There are lots of different sorts of oak [In reply to] Can't Post

- so maybe Beorn's is a variety Bilbo hasn't seen before and would like to try growing. There are two oak types native to Britain, for example, but one sees other more exotic ones in parks and gardens too.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Jan 14 2015, 2:33am

Post #16 of 33 (515 views)
Shortcut
*sticks fingers in ears, loud humming ensues* [In reply to] Can't Post

Going to pretend its the party tree anyways! I guess I want Bilbo to be able to "watch it grow" like Thorin says Frown

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 14 2015, 2:41am

Post #17 of 33 (506 views)
Shortcut
I felt stupid for asking after the first explanation... [In reply to] Can't Post

But now I'm glad I asked. It seems there are lots of interesting reasons for that sentimental acorn. Smile

That's exactly why I love these boards,
Thanks.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 14 2015, 2:42am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2015, 2:49am

Post #18 of 33 (491 views)
Shortcut
YES!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 4:40am

Post #19 of 33 (486 views)
Shortcut
I planted an English Oak in my yard [In reply to] Can't Post

even though there are plenty of oaks around that are native to the Pacific Northwest where I live. I did it because it reminds me of the time I was in England but also because English oaks are bigger and different in other ways. Maybe Bilbo wanted to remember his journey by planting a nice Wilderland Oak in his garden.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

elentari3018
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 5:15am

Post #20 of 33 (467 views)
Shortcut
Love this drawing! [In reply to] Can't Post

So very cute! =) Good job!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

haarp
Rivendell

Jan 14 2015, 7:55am

Post #21 of 33 (458 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

the last scenes in the movie were the best of the whole trilogy, after PJ ruined the films these scenes were a reminder what could have been .

Saneliur
Bree

Jan 14 2015, 8:26am

Post #22 of 33 (483 views)
Shortcut
It was not MY tears that were unexpected... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Thorin's tears.

I knew he teared up at various points during the movie, but I didn't notice him actually crying until my 3rd viewing.

I only noticed because I sat a lot closer to the IMAX screen the 3rd time around. The tears are barely visible, but they are there.

If I remember correctly, Thorin's tears fall when he is apologizing to Bilbo as he's dying, right as he says "I'm so sorry, for leading you to such peril." ( forgive me if the exact wording is wrong :c )

Needless to say these unexpected tears brought more of my own tears, and made this scene a lot more emotional for me, possibly even more than the first time I saw it.

We had never seen Thorin so emotionally vulnerable, never seen Thorin come close to crying. So realizing he actually was immediately had me choking back a sob.

Unsure

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 14 2015, 8:42am

Post #23 of 33 (463 views)
Shortcut
There is a particular musical moment... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in "The Return Journey", playing while Bilbo says Farewell to the Dwarves.

This is a moment that is simply good... and gets me emotional. No matter how many issues I have with what comes before (though it alos gets me emotional because these scenes return to what I loved about these movies... and reminds me that the last one didn't take me back all the way).

1:40 - 1:55 (on the Return JourneyOST track)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 14 2015, 8:42am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 9:10am

Post #24 of 33 (460 views)
Shortcut
I find tears coming at moments I don't expect [In reply to] Can't Post

Bain, trying to focus on his father, knowing that Smaug is right behind them...

The acorn...

Dwalin, trying to reach past the gold and the crown to the Thorin he knows...

The giving of the Mithril coat...

The eagles (with the lovely eagle music from AUJ playing over the battle music)...

Bilbo standing in his ransacked home (for some reason that moment reminded my of Kili arriving in Bag End and scraping his boots on the 'glory box', which wasn't there any more)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 10:15am

Post #25 of 33 (445 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I have always been more about getting chills rather than tears. Doesn't mean I don't find things heartwrenching, but I don't have a tendency to cry, but I get chills when I get emotional (in movies) Laugh That or I do tear up a little but no crying.

So I'd say leading up to and Fili's death I got everything stuck in my throat basically.
I was shockingly indifferent about Kili's death who I adored pretty much because how they did it (I did however tear up a little once he is dead and Tauriel is mourning).
Thorin's death.
Bard and Bain in the tower.
The end credits with the beautiful art (just a little chills though).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.