Soundtrack (movies etc.)
View Results (113 votes)

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 5:22pm

Post #1 of 36 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Favourite music genre(s) Can't Post

Music being something I don't think I could live without, I was wondering what kinds of music you enjoy -- multiple answers allowed. My favourite is classical hands down, and I also love Renaissance and medieval music. There are a few movie soundtracks I rarely tire of as well, most importantly LOTR, TH, and Narnia.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jan 13 2015, 5:25pm

Post #2 of 36 (818 views)
Shortcut
Trip Hop as an absolute favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

Gothic,Ethereal,Alternative

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 5:48pm

Post #3 of 36 (818 views)
Shortcut
My favorite genre is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.

Seriously, I have trouble choosing just one favorite music genre because I have such eclectic tastes and I like to listen to different things at different times. I love Classical and Soundtrack music when I want to relax or focus on writing/reading something without having song lyrics as a distraction to the words on the page/computer screen. When lyrics aren't going to be a distraction, I love Country, Folk, Gospel, Contemporary Christian, Pop, or Celtic, and the genre I love the most at any given time literally shifts based on my mood.

Right now, for example, I can't seem to stop listening to the folk song Bright Morning Star as sung by Cara Dillon, but later, when I start working on some written assignments for one of my college courses, I'll probably switch to a soundtrack. (LOTR, TH, and Narnia are my favorite soundtracks too, btw)Smile

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 6:53pm

Post #4 of 36 (803 views)
Shortcut
Being picky [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have picked something along the lines of rock music....however, I didn't select that one because it would also have meant a vote for pop music...in a way....and I can't do that....I just can't. Those two categories I just cannot see being one and the same or even similar. And yes, that is picky, it is Tuesday I'm allowed! I think!?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 7:03pm

Post #5 of 36 (796 views)
Shortcut
Folk is a really big umbrella. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm especially fond of Celtic music, traditional British Isles music in general, Bulgarian music, Croatian music, Israeli music, Tuvan music and Turkish music. I like other kinds of folk music too, but I think those are my favorites. I also like classical music, particularly Russian classical music.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 7:05pm

Post #6 of 36 (795 views)
Shortcut
I'm picky too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see country and folk as being the same either.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 36 (799 views)
Shortcut
Sorry :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I just didn't want the poll to get too long... and being, admittedly, quite unfamiliar with contemporary music, decided to put pop and rock together. Unsure

Annael
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 7:45pm

Post #8 of 36 (787 views)
Shortcut
classical, classic rock, folk (but not country), early music, ethnic music [In reply to] Can't Post

what I love best is fusion music, especially ethnic + rock.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 9:52pm

Post #9 of 36 (793 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

While I have plenty of rock, jazz, classical, and movie soundtracks, I also have a lot of J-pop (mostly anime soundtracks). Favorite Japanese artists include Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop; Ghost in the Shell) and Joe Hisaishi (many of Hayao Miyazaki's films).

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 12:12am

Post #10 of 36 (787 views)
Shortcut
Or Jazz and Latin [In reply to] Can't Post

Completely different genres from completely different roots. And very little crossover in the listening populations of either.

We listened to mostly classical at home. I branched out on my own as I met people in school and college. It started with my best friend and I getting into Pop (Partridge Family mostly, we were 7yo). Later I moved on to world music due to another friend from school and folk music because of an amazing chorus teacher in junior high. In college, my hubby-to-be introduced me to country and bluegrass and a friend introduced me to R&B. I got into Latin a little bit too back then. I also studied with Doris Ornstein, a noted harpsichordist in college and got into Renaissance Music more back then. When I think about it, I got most of musical tastes along the way outside my family.

Now, my daughter calls my iPod the most spastic in the house (except for hers, I might add). Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 1:08am

Post #11 of 36 (762 views)
Shortcut
Classical, for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like others, but classical holds a place in my heart above the rest.

And I suppose film scores are a subset of those, depending on the composer. I think Howard Shore (for PJ's films) counts, though. Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 1:23am

Post #12 of 36 (763 views)
Shortcut
I like at least some of just about every genre [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, I don't like contemporary country and western at all, but I love artists like Patsy Cline and Bob Wills. (Though Bob Wills is actually western swing.)

But among my favorites: soul/r&b, rock, pop, classical, musicals, big band, and what is often termed "world".

My real go-to when I'm feeling down or want to sing along in the car would be 60's/70's soul and r&b: Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Earth Wind &Fire, Taj Mahal...

Fun question Smile

Kim
Valinor

Jan 14 2015, 1:23am

Post #13 of 36 (760 views)
Shortcut
Pop and Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as it's got a good beat and is easy to dance to, I'm there. Wink Those also tend to be the best to sing along loudly to in the car.

I do like classical and soundtracks for background music when I'm feeling more mellow. Unless of course it's a soundtrack like Guardians of the Galaxy, which luckily, has a good beat and is easy to dance to. Angelic

You would have to pay me a lot of money to listen to jazz. I just don't get it. I once went to a club to hear a jazz band, and my friend had to literally tap out the beat on my arm before I could hear it. I didn't realize they'd started their set, I literally thought they were still warming up. Laugh

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 15 2015, 12:34am

Post #14 of 36 (737 views)
Shortcut
All of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like a little bit of everything, except for the really twangy country stuff, or anything that has really vile lyrics.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 15 2015, 4:57pm

Post #15 of 36 (731 views)
Shortcut
I voted classical [In reply to] Can't Post

but I love Rock 'n Roll also. Strange combination?

That's 50s & 60s Rock 'n Roll folks.... Smile

Mikah
Lorien

Jan 15 2015, 11:54pm

Post #16 of 36 (741 views)
Shortcut
Contemporary Christian...I am on board! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love the NeedtoBreathe lyrics in your signature. I do love that song. I found myself humming along while reading them! I also really love Jeremy Camp and Kutless. To be honest I like most Contemporary Christian. The radio station I listen to the most is AirOne.

Outside of that I find my tastes vary as well...it is whatever I am in the mood for. Last weekend hubby and I watched Queen's "Live at Wembley" concert video. I really do like classic rock. ..Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, all that stuff. But I also like some older country like Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings.

It is funny but when I study for my classes I usually listen to older alternative while hubby listens to classical!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 16 2015, 7:51pm

Post #17 of 36 (698 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

on the jazz. It's like 2 monkeys running all around the keyboard. Hard to find a rhythm. Making it up as they go along...

And Jazz & Latin shouldn't be a single choice. I love lots of Latin but little Jazz - two different genres..

JazzPirate
LatinEvil

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 8:08pm

Post #18 of 36 (706 views)
Shortcut
Patrick Star and SpongeBob on Free Form Jazz: [In reply to] Can't Post

Jazz: its part of becoming a Man.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 16 2015, 8:08pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 16 2015, 8:49pm

Post #19 of 36 (691 views)
Shortcut
But...but [In reply to] Can't Post

I am no man!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 9:03pm

Post #20 of 36 (710 views)
Shortcut
No - neither am I [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's the face I make with jazz playing too.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 2:32pm

Post #21 of 36 (670 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... Classic Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely keeps me going... but I dearly love and have lots of Classical music. But I also get lost in Celtic/Scottish instrumentals.

Classic Rock is the first thing I grab, though.. but I include Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Duran Duran, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stoneage, Verbena, Avril Lavigne, etc.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 5:10am

Post #22 of 36 (652 views)
Shortcut
some of everything [In reply to] Can't Post

with a huge liking for epic soundtracks.

and a smattering of stuff from Celtic to country to random bits of stuff I accidentally hear on National Public Radio and never would have thought I'd like.

I positively loathe stuff that sounds "urban" and noisy. I'm basically allergic to concrete and steel.

Also get tired quickly of the "broke down love life lost my truck and my dawg left me" kind of country.

And sometimes i just wanna throw the radio out the window if it's stuck on a poop eh... pop station (like at a store).

Occasionally driven right up the wall by fussy intellectual classical with no rhythm. (bring on the cannons already)

There's something about Native American music that is primal....

...and Celtic.....

which gave rise to bluegrass.

Gospel.

And folk.

Theodora
The Shire

Jan 21 2015, 8:04pm

Post #23 of 36 (638 views)
Shortcut
Classical music [In reply to] Can't Post

And also some of the music my sons listen to. Not all of it, but I do like Imagine Dragons, Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2015, 5:54am

Post #24 of 36 (615 views)
Shortcut
In defense of (at least some) jazz [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/r2S1I_ien6A

There are lots of varieties of jazz, and I don't pretend to know much about them, let alone claim to like them. But I can't imagine a world without some of it: I can, and do, listen to Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas music any and all times of year; big band jazz like Benny Goodman's Sing, Sing, Sing (link above) or Glen Miller's In the Mood (two of my all time favorite songs) always make me want to get up and dance no matter where I am. And as a Star Wars fan, didn't you enjoy the cantina band? They are based on big band jazz. Smile

Just give the video above 30 seconds. If you think it's horrible, I'll give you your money back. Laugh

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 22 2015, 5:56am)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 6:27am

Post #25 of 36 (621 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like big band and swing music, I guess I don't think of that as jazz. Probably because it does have a beat and I can dance to it. And yes, I do like the Cantina Band's music.

OK, I guess I don't need a refund. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.