The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
'Outlander' DVD/Blu-ray and Soundtrack Release News

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 5:10am

Post #1 of 24 (380 views)
Shortcut
'Outlander' DVD/Blu-ray and Soundtrack Release News Can't Post

This is for our small contingent of viewers of Ronald D. Moore's Starz series Outlander (based on the books by Diana Gabaldon). Though it's my plan to assimilate the rest of you, bit by bit, into our collective. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Tongue

TheDigitalBits.com is reporting that the DVD/Blu-ray release of the first half of Season One will be released on March 3 (with the show returning with it's second half on April 4). Also the soundtrack (with music from those first 8 episodes) is being released on February 10 (link courtesy of composer Bear McCreary's Twitter account).

I can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack, especially. Bear is one of my favorite composers (his music for Moore's Battlestar Galactica is breathtaking), and the score for this series is absolutely beautiful.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 5:15am)

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 13 2015, 10:41am

Post #2 of 24 (282 views)
Shortcut
Love it......going to Amazon to order [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 1:16pm

Post #3 of 24 (296 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure, Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read elsewhere that the DVD coming out in March is an "outlander" series that starred Jim Cazivel. But I hope you are right!!!

That new trailer is awesome, isn't it? This will be. The first soundtrack I have purchased since LotR!

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Jan 13 2015, 1:18pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 24 (290 views)
Shortcut
That is a 2009 film... [In reply to] Can't Post

The March 3 release is most definitely the show. TheDigitalBits.com has industry contacts and doesn't tend to post things without confirmation (plus, as you can see on their page, they've been supplied with the temp art for the Blu-ray cover). Also, while the pre-order isn't yet up on the US Amazon site, it is up on Canada's version of the site:

Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 DVD

Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 Blu-ray + UltraViolet

Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 - Collector's Edition with Script to Screen Blu-ray + UltraViolet

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 2:01pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 24 (273 views)
Shortcut
Amazon pre-orders aren't up just yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

...at least in the US (Canada's Amazon store has the DVD and Blu-ray up). But I'm sure they will be in the coming week or so. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 2:06pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:07pm

Post #6 of 24 (275 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was on the forums on the Internet movie database that this had been discussed, and someone said that it was not in fact our outlander but an older outlander that wasn't connected to these books. I'm so glad to hear this cause you know I will be, like, pre-ordering it ASAP.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:10pm

Post #7 of 24 (271 views)
Shortcut
Also… [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see that it is coming out in Blu-ray. I'm such a picture quality snob anymore that I couldn't take the DVD version which is still showing on starz on demand. The picture looks so bad after looking at it in blu that I just decided to wait till it comes back on again. Of course, I have been watching it on starz play…

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:14pm

Post #8 of 24 (270 views)
Shortcut
Lesson #1: Don't visit IMDB's forums... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

In the words of Obi-wan Kenobi, "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." (And, in this case, misinformation. Wink)

- Viggo Mortensen

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:16pm

Post #9 of 24 (262 views)
Shortcut
I've been fortunate... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Comcast, and their VOD service is in HD. So I had a great experience catching up on the show. But nothing substitutes Blu-ray. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:17pm

Post #10 of 24 (264 views)
Shortcut
Aw, you know how it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're so desperate to hear any news or read a discussion of your favorite show that you stoop to the Internet movie database. * hangs head *

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:19pm

Post #11 of 24 (263 views)
Shortcut
*pats Patty on the head* [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry. Cool We've ALL been there...unfortunately.

Laugh

- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:19pm

Post #12 of 24 (260 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of this new trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait, it seems to me that you said before you have not read the books, isn't that right? Then I don't suppose you were able to make much of it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:24pm

Post #13 of 24 (265 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I haven't read the books. But it looks great! Smile It's so nice to have something to wet my appetite. It's cruel that Starz gave me this fantastic new show, only to give me such a small serving of 8 episodes. Frown April can't come soon enough (I've got Game of Thrones coming back at the same time... I may explode Wink).

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 2:24pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:27pm

Post #14 of 24 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this long hiatus is unbelievable… [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost as if they were trying to kill the show. But the many, many fans of this series would wait forever if need be.

Isn't this an exceptionally long wait? Or, to quote Jaime, " is it usual?"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 2:31pm

Post #15 of 24 (260 views)
Shortcut
Well, it hasn't been quite as bad as... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the wait for most new seasons of premium shows (Game of Thrones airs for ten weeks at the same time every year). I think this has been grueling, for me at least, because they've split up the season. So while they left us on a fantastic cliffhanger, it really wasn't something that gave the closure of a usual season finale.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 13 2015, 2:32pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 2:49pm

Post #16 of 24 (251 views)
Shortcut
IMDb [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lesson #1: Don't visit IMDB's forums...Tongue

In the words of Obi-wan Kenobi, "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." (And, in this case, misinformation. Wink)

I do, but with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 13 2015, 3:05pm

Post #17 of 24 (251 views)
Shortcut
Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

is on the Netflix website....waiting for release...cant wait since I had to try to watch it last year at my friends....don't have Starz

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2015, 3:58pm

Post #18 of 24 (248 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for the heads up, Aragorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

After the digital release of RA's The Crucible play, this is the second thing I have been most anxiously waiting for. I've only seen the first free ep since I don't get Starz and can't wait to watch the rest of the season's first half. Happy day! Smile

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Annael
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 4:19pm

Post #19 of 24 (244 views)
Shortcut
the other "Outlander" is a great film btw [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's set in Norway and is about aliens visiting our world, not time travel.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kim
Valinor

Jan 13 2015, 6:10pm

Post #20 of 24 (244 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got it in my Netflix queue too, don't have Starz either, waiting (im)patiently...

#OneLastTime

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 2:10pm

Post #21 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
Available for preorder now on Amazon... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking good!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 4:31am

Post #22 of 24 (230 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I saw it. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The Collector's Edition looks absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 8:11pm

Post #23 of 24 (183 views)
Shortcut
There is one reserved for Patty on Amazon already! / [In reply to] Can't Post

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 3 2015, 10:33pm

Post #24 of 24 (185 views)
Shortcut
Netflix will have [In reply to] Can't Post

Outlander available March 3 !

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.