20 times
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Jan 12 2015, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 47 (3251 views)
Shortcut
20 times Can't Post

I have seen the movie 20 times now, Amazing how many new things you keep seeing. Battle of the 5 armies truely is the best movie ever made.

Can't wait for the E.E.

(This post was edited by mirkwoodwanderer on Jan 12 2015, 1:53pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 2:10pm

Post #2 of 47 (2395 views)
Shortcut
That's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only up to seven, but like you I keep seeing new things every time I view the film and appreciate it more each time. Yesterday, for instance, I noticed Thorin's similarity to Roac (among other things!), and I love the way Roac talks and Thorin looks as though he understands his language (I think it's much better to have Roac talk in Ravenish than in human speech).

The first time I saw the film, I was a bit confused by the battle – it's because the events were so fast paced – but it is much clearer to me now. (Although I appreciate Bilbo's 'Where is north?')

In Reply To
I have seen the movie 20 times now, Amazing how many new things you keep seeing. Battle of the 5 armies truely is the best movie ever made.

Can't wait for the E.E.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 47 (2423 views)
Shortcut
PJ said he doesn't understand fans that rewatch multiple times... [In reply to] Can't Post

He said in an interview he thinks its mad when people say they've seen RotK over 20 times. But I wonder how many times he's seen King Kong. I imagine a lot.

Me85
Rivendell

Jan 12 2015, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 47 (2304 views)
Shortcut
pff that's still more than me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm only up to seven, but like you I keep seeing new things every time I view the film and appreciate it more each time. Yesterday, for instance, I noticed Thorin's similarity to Roac (among other things!), and I love the way Roac talks and Thorin looks as though he understands his language (I think it's much better to have Roac talk in Ravenish than in human speech).

The first time I saw the film, I was a bit confused by the battle – it's because the events were so fast paced – but it is much clearer to me now. (Although I appreciate Bilbo's 'Where is north?

I've only seen it once.
Yeah it was fast paced. When exactly did the battle end anyway? I don't remember. When Azog was defeated? I really need to see it again.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 2:28pm

Post #5 of 47 (2309 views)
Shortcut
We don't all have private theaters, [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, I'll go and see a movie in the cinema several times on account of the fact that we only get two months, give or take, to see a movie in that format. Sure, there's the SLIGHT chance that a movie could get a re-release, but nothing guaranteed. Watching movies at home with a solid widescreen and surround sound is plenty good, but nothing like it is in the auditorium.

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 2:32pm

Post #6 of 47 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Another thing I've focused on [In reply to] Can't Post

…is the music. I find it so appropriate to the film – from the 'psychotic' music for Smaug, to the 'heroic' strands for the Dwarves. I'm also pleased that it doesn't drown out other sounds, especially dialogue, as so often happens in other films these days. (Sometimes the music in a film is so loud that it is almost painful to listen to it.)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 47 (2285 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how many times PJ has seen his movies just in the editing process [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think that the multiple takes and nuances he would have to sort through for each minute of each scene, all while editing up until the last second under intense pressure, would kind of put him off wanting to rewatch them at all!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2015, 2:50pm

Post #8 of 47 (2293 views)
Shortcut
That would be torture. ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no desire to see the movie a fourth time. I am feeling firmly meh by the movie. But I am really glad that there are people enjoying it. I really wanted people to love AUJ and DOS, and I saw them nearly 10 times each.

What's your favourite scene then?

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 3:12pm

Post #9 of 47 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, I kept finding more and more things that annoyed me and after four viewings I decided that there is no use getting angry about something like this, so I decided not to watch it again until the EE.

I was enjoying the first time I saw it, though already not feeling sure about whether there wasn't also a very hallow feeling within me.

So I went back hoping it was just the knowledge of the story being over. But with each viewing I saw more and more things that screamed either "bad screenwriting" or "bad film-making" or both at me. And - maybe the most annyoing - the untouched potential that the filmmakers' approach offered.

When I watched it the fourth time with AUJ and DoS back to back closely before, I realized how badly the trilogy flows at this point, IMHO.

That is when I realized that I simply don't think this is a good movie, just a mediocre one with some really bad, but thankfully, also some pretty good stuff in it. At least enough to hope that the EE will make things kind of okay (though it cannot be saved completely for my liking, imho).

So cinematically this is it with this trilogy for me. Sadly, it ended up being a disappointing experience for me, yet I value what I can enjoy, still thinking AUJ and DoS are good movies.

I will watch this second trilogy at home for sure in the future and surely some of the more annoying things will receive a certain level of acceptance by my inner-self. Though it is kind of sad to say that - while recommending them for fantasy-lovers - I would never recommend them as generally great movies. As great the technical and artistic aspects (and some of the acting), as bad has the overall structure and script of this last one been (bad enough to bring down the entire trilogy quite a bit).

But I am sincerely happy for anyone who can enjoy them more than I can. I still remember feeling like some of you after RotK and it is a great feeling and experience to have :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 12 2015, 3:20pm)

Merovech
Bree

Jan 12 2015, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 47 (2261 views)
Shortcut
The best movie ever made? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright then. Keep throwing your money at it, it might come true!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 3:55pm

Post #11 of 47 (2216 views)
Shortcut
For the OP it already is true... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. or he/she wouldn't have said it.

I count The Hobbit as one of my favourite films of all time.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 4:30pm

Post #12 of 47 (2184 views)
Shortcut
7 times, as of yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

Am so spoiled, but as long as the flim is in IMAX why not grab the opportunity? And like AUJ and DOS, I will probably have seen the film several hundred times, ultimately.

Because these films are like favorite books now - like the LOTR films you take them from the shelf and go to Middle Earth againHeart.

I think I saw DOS over 20 times in theater. Don't usually keep track, if the funds are available and I want to go see something, I just go. IMO these films NEED repeat viewsTongue, especially BOFA. Thanks to this "thriller" pace, I found for me it took 3 views just for the film to "settle" and I knew what and where to focus, and was able to start luxuriating in the details and performance nuances.

Re the performances, with repeat views it's truly a jolt taking in how good, how PERFECT IMO they really are. One funny thing I noticed yesterday, when the four dwarves are arrive and are looking down at all the gold before Thorin walks in, Fili's face looks bemused more than anything, but LOL briefly Bofur's face lights up with a big smile (ha ha - I love these guys!Heart)

Still, I can't wait for the BR and watching every precious frame of the film. Well, except parts of the end, for me it's too hard and disrespectful, and I don't want to.Frown But finally getting to see some of the fight sequences at my leisureHeartHeartHeart, and studying the broken Erebor, and replaying key scenesHeart - makes me shiver with ANTICI-------------------PATIONCool

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 4:38pm

Post #13 of 47 (2189 views)
Shortcut
It's already true for the OP [In reply to] Can't Post

And in many ways, without being some trained film expert, I think the Hobbit movies ARE the best movies ever made, in the sense they have become my favorites for many reasonsHeart.

I don't know in a PROFESSIONAL or TECHNICAL sense how one could determine the "best" film ever made - seems to me even "experts" would never agree on that. Cool

But LOL, I say unto allLaugh, from the looks of the top movie THIS weekend at the BO, folks might be well advised to spend their money on BOFA. Because I like the "Taken" series, but I got a laugh at how many writers informed their readers that their money would be taken re Taken 3, ROFLOLLaugh

adt100
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 5:34pm

Post #14 of 47 (2116 views)
Shortcut
That's impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Most I ever managed to see a film in cinemas was (I think) 18 for ROTK.

I'm going for my 4th viewing of BOFA this weekend. Gutted I never got to see any of them in HFR. Seems most of the (small number) of screens showing in that format in the UK have stopped now. :(

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 5:37pm

Post #15 of 47 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Avandel (as usual) [In reply to] Can't Post

…especially the first paragraph. Moreover, Taken is a straight to TV film for me.Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 5:40pm

Post #16 of 47 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I only managed to see it once in HFR – it seemed to be stopped remarkably quickly in the UK. Since then I have been seeing it in IMAX 3D, which is a very impressive second choice. I hope I will be able to catch it in that format for a few weeks yet, even if I have to travel somewhere to see it.

In Reply To
Most I ever managed to see a film in cinemas was (I think) 18 for ROTK.

I'm going for my 4th viewing of BOFA this weekend. Gutted I never got to see any of them in HFR. Seems most of the (small number) of screens showing in that format in the UK have stopped now. :(

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 7:03pm

Post #17 of 47 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Six for me so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever I get a queer look when I tell someone I'm planning to go and see BOFA again, I smile and say: "You think three/four/five times is a lot? You have no idea." Laugh

Name
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 7:30pm

Post #18 of 47 (2059 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I've only seen it once [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty busy, ununfortunately. Crazy

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2015, 7:57pm

Post #19 of 47 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Grammaboodawg usually makes it into the twenties [In reply to] Can't Post

She saw the original three about 50 times each in the theaters, but back then movies were kept in theaters longer. I'm not sure where she is now for BOTFA.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 9:22pm

Post #20 of 47 (1996 views)
Shortcut
If you're not in the... [In reply to] Can't Post

theatre (or is it theater?) well then...

BACK TO YOUR BOOKS! UnsureUnsureUnsure

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 9:57pm

Post #21 of 47 (1966 views)
Shortcut
I was about to do that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but now I won't. Evil Too bad the theatres are already closed for today... AngelicTongue

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jan 12 2015, 10:02pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 12 2015, 11:39pm

Post #22 of 47 (1961 views)
Shortcut
The trouble is, Ravenhill is South! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://th01.deviantart.net/...ssiopeeh-d5vyxzk.jpg

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 11:47pm

Post #23 of 47 (1945 views)
Shortcut
From Dale it is North West. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many apologies if you are aware but just to double check you do know North is not at the top of that map?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 12 2015, 11:50pm

Post #24 of 47 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

It matters not a whit to me anyway – I just thought Bilbo's comment was funny.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 12:33am

Post #25 of 47 (1916 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven Maps [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The trouble is, Ravenhill is South!

No, Dwarves orient their maps East to West, not North to South--Thor included.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.