Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Feminine and gender-neutral names in Quenya?

Calainiel

Jan 11 2015, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 2 (828 views)
Shortcut
Feminine and gender-neutral names in Quenya? Can't Post

1. Are the suffixes -ndil/-dil and -ndur/-dur genderless? Or are there female equivalents?

2. What are the phonotactic rules for affixing the previously mentioned suffixes when the adjoining word doesn't end in -e or -n? For example, I have always felt a special connection with Nienna, and if I were to form a name meaning "devoted to Nienna" I hardly believe *Niennandil would be correct.

3. Are there any suffixes making nouns into names that are gender-neutral? I am a pre-op mtf transsexual, and I'm about to join a Tolkien society that requires me to take a name in one of Tolkien's languages, but Quenya doesn't seem to allow for gender-neutral name. Chosing a name that's either masculine or feminine will inevitably cause some confusion, either now or later on.

4. Being unable to find a late Quenya word for "serenity" when constructing a matronymic name, I used an entry in the Qenya lexicon for it. Treating the Qenya "calaina" as a Quenya word, is my name on here (calainiel) a correct formation for "daughter of serenity"?

Total Quenya newb, so sorry if some of this might be more than obvious... And sorry for any English mistakes as well - my native tongue is Swedish! :)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 18 2015, 10:25am

Post #2 of 2 (713 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps this helps [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.realelvish.net/quenya_namespeople.php

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.