Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2015, 2:56pm

Post #176 of 204 (1283 views)
Shortcut
     Don't assume the silence is everywhere [In reply to]  

The admins might be receiving Feedback in ways other than the message boards. We discuss every situation as a team, and reach a decision together.

TORN is what it is, and we have rules. Everyone here compromises, because the site can't possibly meet every expectation. As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the admins might not have been paying enough attention to the Thranduil threads, but we will be paying more attention going forward to make sure the participants comply with TORN guidelines. For example, you say that this thread has discussed "
wines, orchids, Orophor, Lee Pace’s horsemanship in 'The Fall' and other related topics". Those topics do not belong on The Hobbit movie board, which is intended for discussion of the Hobbit movies only. Those discussions belong on Off Topic and we will be monitoring that in the future. If that changes the Thranduil threads, so be it.

Anyone is welcome to post suggestions or questions on Feedback. It's a great place to get input from the whole community in addition to the admins.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:51pm

Post #177 of 204 (1245 views)
Shortcut
     His Majesty's forward roll off the elk [In reply to]  

I watched BotFA again last night (my sixth time!) and paid extra attention to the scene where Thranduil comes through the archway on his elk and does a forward roll onto the ground after Bubba gets shot by an arrow (*sniff*). There does seem to be a slight cut between the moment when Thranduil first hits the ground and when he is shown rolling forward into a crouch, so it is possible that a stuntman was used for "the fall" (heh). But until the blu-ray comes out and one can watch that particular scene in slo-mo or pause at will, I don't think there is any way to tell for sure.

What I am sure of is that the forward roll into the crouch -- before Thranduil starts slicing and dicing the Orcs gathering around him -- was done by Lee Pace himself, even though we only see him from the back. That roll was so flamboyant -- ending with the Elven King flinging his mane of platinum blond hair in a wide arc as he whipped his cape around him and in the same motion drew his sword out -- I doubt a stuntman would have been able to do it with quite as much flair.

Oh, and for some pretty to go along with this discussion of the film:

Click on picture for more images of Thranduil fighting the orcs.
Note: All images taken from The Hobbit: 17-Year Journey, a video released by Warner Bros., not from pirated material.

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 9 2015, 3:53pm)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:54pm

Post #178 of 204 (1255 views)
Shortcut
     I fully concur with Kerewyn's thoughtful post and will be taking a breather from TORN [In reply to]  

Kerewyn's thoughtful post:
I thank TORn for hosting such a forum where this community has been allowed to exist. Because that’s what it’s been. It wasn’t set up to be, it wasn’t intended, it just happened organically. A community that were falling over each other to talk about and figure out this very complex and awe-inspiring Elf. It was a close-knit but inclusive community within the wider community of TORn, and the only portal was the Movie TH front door, which, once closed, had to be quickly opened again because we just had to keep that conversation going. If there were some other way of housing that community, we would have taken it there. (I have some ideas on creating community spaces, which I may take to Feedback.) But within the format of the TORn boards, there were no other options.

I’m saddened to hear from you, Silverlode, that in your view this community has been merely viewed as a “35 part monster thread”, and that “the majority have been asked to put up with it”. A silent majority then. Apart from the one dissenter, we’ve never heard a negative word, nor a suggestion from the admins that ‘that’s enough now’. Rather, we have had people randomly dropping in to say how much they love reading it and sometimes they even stay a while, and we’ve had cheerful and encouraging threadlock posts from dernwyn, to the likes of: “Hey thralls, you’ve having so much fun, it’s now time to start Thread XX-whatever!”
Personally, I have to “put up with” searching back several pages on the Movie TH front page, to find certain topics I want to contribute to… only to find they are in their dying throes. I “put up with it” cheerfully as par for the course (as cheerfully as, I’m sure, the majority of users tolerate the TA threads, and here I use ‘tolerate’ as the positive attribute of ‘tolerance’), and I return to the thread that is constantly alive, and where I know for certain that my friends will be waiting to talk, and favoured topics can be reactivated time and time again without annoying "the majority".

Some are under the impression that it’s been a full time “gushing session” but they’d be mistaken. There has been much to discuss, and it’s been pulled together, contained, in one space. Under our TA umbrella, we can discuss matters such as wines, orchids, Orophor, Lee Pace’s horsemanship in 'The Fall' and other related topics that I’m sure other users would find less relevant to the movie page, but do not have another home / ideal place to post.

I have nothing to add to what Kerewyn already eloquently enunciated for all thralls like myself who have been saddened by this turn of events. I may still lurk around the Reading Room but with the departure of Lurker in the Murk, VValar (whose thoughtful earlier post also touched me deeply) and Kerewyn, I am not sure if I will be back all too soon. I never would have imagined that TORN would treat respectful fans in this way. Never in the Thrandy threads had anybody (from what I recall) spoke badly of one another or needed any admonishment as one sometimes sees in the main Hobbit threads. Even that long time member who started that anti-Thranduil thread - not one word from adminstrators/moderators that perhaps that thread was mean-spirited and truly unnecessary - but I believe that is because he is a far more long time member than most of us who used to roam Thrandy's halls... FrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 4:02pm

Post #179 of 204 (1216 views)
Shortcut
     Yes [In reply to]  

I show that as well. Or maybe they thought if he gets hurt rolling of his elk that they might need a stuntman to finish off the sword fighting.

I too also loved how his hair wiped around his cape. It was pretty cool!

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 9 2015, 4:15pm

Post #180 of 204 (1244 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, no – not you as well [In reply to]  

I'm saddened by this.Frown

I think the Thranduil appreciation threads have effectively been killed off, for no good reason. They were so refreshing among some of the other threads, and they really did not dominate the forum and did no harm to anyone.

I'm baffled, as I said before…

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 4:25pm

Post #181 of 204 (1228 views)
Shortcut
     Just for clarification [In reply to]  

I'm totally not arguing with you here. I agree that the Mods need to do what the Mods need to do and things need to be posted in their proper place. I just want to clarify the context in which some of the discussions that Kerewyn mentioned happened, because IMHO we did our very best to keep them in context of the movies and Thranduil.

you say that this thread has discussed "wines, orchids, Orophor, Lee Pace’s horsemanship in 'The Fall' and other related topics".

When we "talked about wines" we were talking about them in the context that Thranduil has quite a large stash himself. We talked about elven wines, the various reasons the filmmakers may have chosen to design his wine cellars the way they did, etc.

We "talked about orchids" in the context that the filmmakers decided that Thranduil apparently grows orchids, as is stated from several Hobbit movie tie-in books, like "Cloaks and Daggers" and you can see them in the background on the set of Thranduil's chambers in both the DOS movie and some of PJ's vlogs.

We "talked about Oropher" because he is Thranduil's father and we discussed whether or not the filmmakers would have even had the rights to be able to take his histories into consideration as far as what they thought about for Thranduil's movie storyline and we discussed things like how the loss of Thranduil's father might have had an affect on the decisions he made, etc.

And finally, Lee Pace's horsemanship in 'The Fall' only came up briefly because we were wondering how much he actually had to ride the horse named Moose who played Bubba the War Elk, and whether or not he was actually good at riding said horse.

If any of these discussions didn't belong in on the Hobbit Board, then I want to apologize right now because I certainly never intended to break the rules by starting them, participating in them, or not suggesting a change in topic or something, and I really don't think anyone else did either.

I have some more things to say Re: the recent turn of events in the TA threads, but I think I'm going to post it in Feedback since I'm mostly speaking for myself and not anyone else.

Happy Hobbity New Year! :D

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 4:44pm

Post #182 of 204 (1223 views)
Shortcut
     General note to Fellow Thralls (No, I'm not leaving or taking a break from TORn) [In reply to]  

Although I am not leaving the TA threads altogether, and I am not leaving TORn or taking a breather from it, I just thought I would let y'all know that I will probably be doing more lurking in the TA threads more than posting until this stuff all gets worked out. I hold absolutely no hard feelings towards anyone, whether they be a regular TORn member or a Mod, and I hope no one else does either.

My only regret is that things had to go down in this manner, and I truly hope they get worked out in a manner that makes everyone happy and results in the rules being followed.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 5:08pm

Post #183 of 204 (1183 views)
Shortcut
     love her works [In reply to]  

This looks beyond amazing.

I just saw this yesterday, and it left me kinda speechless.

http://jessicatattack.tumblr.com/...a-saw-the-new-poster

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 5:14pm

Post #184 of 204 (1191 views)
Shortcut
     I echo your sentiments [In reply to]  

This is not one of TORn's finest moments. Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2015, 5:49pm

Post #185 of 204 (1183 views)
Shortcut
     When the Character Elimination Game got too much for the forum ... [In reply to]  

both in terms of overloading the server (we frequently went over 700 posts if I remember rightly), and we were annoying people, it was suggested to us that we took it to another platform. So we started up our own forum (it's free!) dedicated to the game.

It appears to me that the majority of TA posts are on Thranduil fan art. As an alternative to setting up your own forum, you could re-aim the TA thread for the audience you are aiming for (and the board you are posting on). Perhaps you could have a regular Thranduil Fan Art thread on the Fan Art board. That will remove problems of remaining on topic here. You could then also have a semi-regular General Movie Thranduil thread on this board to talk exclusively about the Elvenking. Two different threads, two different topics and two different audiences/interests. The fan art thread would then receive the most activity without frustrating anyone in the movie board. Is that a good compromise?

I think there has just been a series of unfortunate mod interventions, one after the other. We've all had our wrists slapped by the mods, but we move on.

(P.S Please do not interpret any of the above as this is what you should do. )

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 9 2015, 5:56pm)

Awië
The Shire

Jan 9 2015, 6:02pm

Post #186 of 204 (1172 views)
Shortcut
     Your own room [In reply to]  

Too bad TORn couldn't come up with a room just for actor/character appreciation threads. I know another LOTR site that has one. That way those who don't want to see the lengthy threads don't have to.

Maybe the problem lies in the set up of the site and not the members posts.

I have enjoyed TORn as a lurker for many years. This is a huge disappointment to see. Really, how long does it take to scroll past the unwanted thread, no matter how long it is?

I said it before, life is WAY TOO SHORT to be making such a fuss over something so trivial.

It does appear to me that some of the TORn members seem to think this is an elitist club, too sophisticated for the silly gushings of the young or unbalanced 'elderly female in need of psychiatric help'.

The copyright and innapropriate posts are for sure something that should be targeted, but they really are few and far between,

Now I'm off back into lurker mode.

'Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting,' --JRR Tolkien--

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 6:13pm

Post #187 of 204 (1154 views)
Shortcut
     For me none taken but I do [In reply to]  

Think that is a good suggestion and to be frankly maybe that should have been advised instead of latter that has happen.

That's just my two cents.Wink

If your going to be in a position of authority give advice or suggestions to a solutions just don't slam a hammer down. I understand the forums are big and all of them can't be monitored and rules are rules. Help with the situation first and see were it goes from there. Don't condemn it.

Again just my two cents.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 6:19pm

Post #188 of 204 (1191 views)
Shortcut
     I understand you're saying and it's a good suggestion, but also... [In reply to]  

...This is the thing that baffles me the most about this whole thing is:

both in terms of overloading the server (we frequently went over 700 posts if I remember rightly), and we were annoying people, it was suggested to us that we took it to another platform.

Unless I missed it during one of my many busy times in this past year where I didn't have time to Log into TORn for more than five minutes, much less check the TA threads, nobody said we were annoying them OR suggested that we needed to take this to another platform.

If anyone had said something, I'm sure the majority of us would have been happy to do something different so that everyone, not just the people who enjoy these threads, could be happy and not annoyed. But like I said, as far as I know, nobody except one person came on here and said they didn't like the TA threads, and I personally and honestly thought that one person was just teasing in a friendly manner. I never thought he was trolling us.

Otherwise, yes, I think your suggestion is a good compromise, and I'd be ridiculously happy to forget this and move on in a manner that is in line with the TORn ToS and allow everyone to have fun again. My main concern is that everyone's too upset to come back and move along with me.UnsureFrown

(P.S. I posted over in Feedback in hopes of opening a conversion that will help us all in the process of understanding each other and working this out. If you, Daniel, would like to check it out too, that would be great.Smile)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 6:42pm

Post #189 of 204 (1175 views)
Shortcut
     IMPORTANT note to all Thralls: Let's try to work something out [In reply to]  

Look, I know I don't want the fun of the Thranduil Appreciation Threads to end, and I don't think any of y'all other Thralls want it to end either, and I know we all don't want to go on being all upset like this. Therefore, I've started a thread over in Feedback and if anyone's interested, maybe we could all talk with each other and the Mods and the other TORn members and see if we can work out a different way to appreciate Thranduil that is not only still fun and allows for discussions and THUDding, but also follows the rules of TORn and doesn't cause unhappiness for anyone.

Come on over and let's work this out.Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 9 2015, 7:10pm

Post #190 of 204 (1106 views)
Shortcut
     Don't go, sweet little Long-tailed Tit [In reply to]  

Frown

Awië
The Shire

Jan 9 2015, 8:01pm

Post #191 of 204 (1078 views)
Shortcut
     Little Bird [In reply to]  

My handle means Little Bird, thus the Long-tailed Tit.

How sweet of you to think of me. I've only posted three times, so I feel quite chuffed.

I am still watching this thread, even though it has turned into a defense thread. Hopefully it won't fizzle and die, like others would wish.

I swear, life, while we have it (and I know how tentative it is), is for loving and having fun, and being good to others. This thread had all of that, and I would like to see it come back, along with our friends who are 'taking a break'.

'Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting,' --JRR Tolkien--

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 8:44pm

Post #192 of 204 (1078 views)
Shortcut
     IMPORTANT UPDATE: PLEASE READ [In reply to]  

We have a response from a Mod on my thread in Feedback, which will hopefully clarify things. Everyone please read it.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 11:14pm

Post #193 of 204 (1003 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you, Eruvandi [In reply to]  

I did read the posts from the members and the mods. I appreciate everyone's efforts to reach a deeper understanding. I need some time to contemplate and gather my thoughts. If I feel I can add anything relevant or edifying, I will do so in the appropriate feedback thread.
I hope we can move forward, mindful of the rules, whilst still enjoying exploring the character created by Tolkien and expanded on in the films.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 11:50pm

Post #194 of 204 (971 views)
Shortcut
     some Pretty! [In reply to]  

Amazing edits by enfantdivine

http://enfantdivine.tumblr.com/post/107637283849 Heart

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2015, 12:06am

Post #195 of 204 (960 views)
Shortcut
     Beautiful! [In reply to]  

Almost makes it look like an oil painting or something.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2015, 1:03am

Post #196 of 204 (959 views)
Shortcut
     A response and an explanation. [In reply to]  

*peers into the yawning gulf between intention and interpretation*

First of all, the point I was making was this: The TA threads are, in many ways, an exception to our usual rules. Nobody else has ever been allowed to continue a thread on a single topic so regularly and for so long that wasn't a general interest game or quiz thread. And the TA threads have had a small - dedicated and enthusiastic but small - population of people, who have created a footprint larger than any other group consisting of that many people on the boards. What was going on in those threads was far more the sort of thing you see on all-Flat boards with hundreds of pages, but very much an anomaly for TORN. By our standards, anything over 200 posts is a "monster thread" - a term that is often used about huge game threads (such as the Character elim games) or large Fiestas, etc. It's not a pejorative term in itself. I'm sorry you all read it as one.

We are always telling people to simply ignore and move on if a topic is not to their taste. And so, over the past year that this thread has been recurring (an exceptionally long period of time for this board), we have periodically told people who made comments about it to just move on. That doesn't mean that everyone hates the thread, or that a bunch of people are stewing about it - but we know that it doesn't interest a lot of people and occasionally some people have felt as if they were inundated with Thranduil because new threads were so frequent and got so large so quickly. So yes, people have to put up with you. Everyone here has to put up with each other, as someone else has observed. You were privileged, though you didn't seem to know it. I was trying to point it out to you.

I felt that your collective reaction to the "anti" thread was unjustified, particularly the personal attack on Bomby in particular, and the continued comments in the TA thread about it (including publicly agreeing with said post - if people had that conversation in another thread about any of you, you'd have felt they were ganging up on you). "No personal attacks" is our primary rule, and you all should know that. Swamping his thread was unnecessary (under the "if you don't like it, tell an Admin or just move on" concept), and left alone I think it wouldn't have gotten many responses, but going on to talk about it in "your" thread was over the line, and indicated that you seemed to be viewing that as your home turf, and other threads as "out there". Forgive me if I'm wrong about that, but I don't see how you think that discussing one thread among yourselves in another thread is ok, let alone griping about particular people. Is that not what we are constantly intervening in movie-debate threads to stop? This is what led to the comment about not venturing out of the thread and not being courteous to the other members. I don't care if you're only interested in one topic and don't want to participate in other discussions, but that does not mean that if you skip the other threads you can bring bits of them back to discuss in "your" thread just because you're comfortable there and that's where your friends are. Community is great, until it slides over that line into "us and them".

Secondly, it didn't even seem to occur to any of you that, what with your increasing turnover in frequency, maybe others were feeling swamped, and that perhaps Bomby's point of view (despite its phrasing) might be an indication of that. And when others did venture more politic comments, they got indignant responses. All I saw was people going "troll" and "hater", not "oh maybe there's a valid POV here". I understand that my comments came as an unpleasant jolt, but they were not meant as harshly as you took them, and I am sorry that people have decided to leave before asking for further information. For the record, not one of the people reacting to my comment so far have bothered to PM me, and this is the first chance I've had to come back online and respond in the threads.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 10 2015, 1:23am

Post #197 of 204 (920 views)
Shortcut
     Actor, stuntman or cgi [In reply to]  

I have wondered how that scene come together in the movie. It would be great if the DVD EE included a behind the scenes look at how it was done. The actor, himself, appears to be athletic enough to able to have done the forward roll himself. The stuntman may have been on standby in case he was needed. It was a very effective showcase of the character's response to a surprising event (the fall of Bubba) and his elven ability to recover and respond quickly. As a battle tested warrior he displayed a cool calm before gracefully spinning into a deadly killing machine.
I have also wondered how difficult it must have been to execute those moves without getting tangled in long hair and a flowing robe/cape trailing behind him.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2015, 1:33am

Post #198 of 204 (950 views)
Shortcut
     ...and an additional apology. [In reply to]  

In reading over what I've written, I can see that it came across much harsher than I meant it to. I am sorry for my tone and for the offense it's caused. It was a poor time to lose what tact I may possess. Frown

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 10 2015, 2:24am

Post #199 of 204 (928 views)
Shortcut
     To Clear the record/This is for all the mod/admin [In reply to]  

Me being a newbie
And I don't know if this was every addressed to that matter if the TA Thread was getting so large and there was a problem with that was there a solution for it. If so was it suggested? And if not Why was it not addressed?
Why let it get to this point? And you stated yes some people are not interested in certain topics true as I am not interested in any of the other posts. I have commented on a few but not a lot it is only right they move on but is it anybody's fault that particular thread grew in popularity and so fast?

As far as the Anti thread, I can understand people do not have the same interest we all are different and have our opinions and yes if one was tired of seeing the same post night after night and they feel swamped about it but be an adult about it. I do think it could have been posted differently or expressed in different way because I did take a little offense to it. I had to laugh and yes move on and not let it bother me and didn't post anything in there about it. I just encourage everybody else to move beyond it. It shall pass.

What my real concern for me is was there any advice or suggestions to help alleviate or to avoid the issues that you addressed. And I'm not talking about the copyright violations and the or stuff. Please let me know and I stand corrected. Because as admin/mod yes you are to make sure rules are keep but also to help keep the forum flowing (and I'm putting this in a funny way) if there was traffic jams, speed bumps or orange cones causing problems are you not there to give help to alleviate the problem first before trying to reprimand.

Help with the solution, see were it goes and if it still causes problems then reprimand. Don't reprimand and then expect for a positive reaction when you were not there to help with the construction sight.

I completely understand that every single thread can not be monitored because we have our daily lives to live. I just think there could have been a better way for this to be addressed as to not make other people in the forum per say have to put up with a thread.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 10 2015, 2:48am

Post #200 of 204 (894 views)
Shortcut
     Part CGI [In reply to]  

Yeah that would be great if the EE would expand on that. The robe seemed flowie so I don't see him getting tangled up in that. He could have been CGI. Wer'e just going to have to wait until the DVD comes out. I think the stuntman is there just in case he gets hurt.

I think him fighting the orcs on his elk on the battlefield is CGI. The way he bent backwards on his elk seemed like it would have been difficult to do.

I also think when his elk picks up what at 5 or four orcs on it's antler and he chops there heads clean off is CGI.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.