Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
6 Stupidest Things The Hobbit Wasted Money On - Marketing?

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 9 2015, 1:47pm

Post #1 of 13 (1141 views)
Shortcut
6 Stupidest Things The Hobbit Wasted Money On - Marketing? Can't Post

So I was reading this article

http://www.cracked.com/...ies-wasted-money-on/

It claims that The Hobbit's marketing (which was poor quality IMO) had a higher budget than the production of The Return of the King.

Besides general discussion of this article I'd like to ask if this statistic is correct? And what are people's opinions on the marketing of these movies? Did anybody get involved in the marketing, the competitions, deals, websites, games, apps etc? Does anyone else feel, like me, that the marketing could have been better?

Some of the most memorable marketing schemes were things like Colbert's interview Smaug and Freeman's Office parody - and these didn't even come out of the marketing budget! I don't think I actually participated in any of the official Hobbit marketing strategies - A Denny's menu and a Google App are the only things I remember, and I don't find them very interesting. The posters were mostly dull and uninspired and trailers and interviews always seemed to take too long to release. Crazy

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 9 2015, 1:50pm)

smtfhw
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 13 (544 views)
Shortcut
If there was any... [In reply to] Can't Post

If there was any marketing in the UK I missed it! I think I saw a couple of posters on the sides of buses in London and one large advertising hording (in Luton of all places) and that was it.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 2:05pm

Post #3 of 13 (465 views)
Shortcut
There were several TV adverts // [In reply to] Can't Post

smtfhw
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 2:08pm

Post #4 of 13 (466 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have completely missed them then... Mind you I don't tend to watch much commercial TV, and if I do it's usually via Sky+ so we just fast forward through the adverts. I don't recall seeing any though.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2015, 2:08pm

Post #5 of 13 (486 views)
Shortcut
They probably spent (and are spending) a bomb on those fan contests [In reply to] Can't Post

Do those things count as marketing? I don't know. But yeah, nothing else major comes to my mind in the area of traditional marketing.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 9 2015, 2:25pm

Post #6 of 13 (463 views)
Shortcut
Well, 'Cracked' is a humor site [In reply to] Can't Post

The snarky tone of the article is appropriate to the venue. The facts cited seem accurate. At the same time the writer does tend to ignore some other facts, such as the 3D process used in filming the Hobbit movies means that some of the visual tricks used in LotR would not work.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 2:28pm

Post #7 of 13 (440 views)
Shortcut
Yes - Saturday and Sunday evenings from just before it went... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on general release, through to Christmas. I don't watch commercial TV much either and don't know if they advertised on other nights. Once I realised the ads were appearing at weekends I looked out for them.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 13 (468 views)
Shortcut
Quite honestly that article is so cynical about the whole thing, [In reply to] Can't Post

... books as well, I wouldn't waste time on it. I know from the first few sentences that I'm so completely out of sympathy with the writer that I'm not going to find anything of value in what he says. I would probably feel the same way about the things he likes. Sometimes you just have to walk away....

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 13 (458 views)
Shortcut
Wow #4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Is totally spot on! Laugh

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 3:26pm

Post #10 of 13 (399 views)
Shortcut
I always scratch my head a bit at the idea that marketing has a quality [In reply to] Can't Post

beyond selling the product.

If the box office turns out well (and it appears to be going pretty well) then the marketing has been good, if not, it hasn't.

I don't think it serves any other purpose or has any other yardstick.

Nolane
Bree

Jan 9 2015, 3:29pm

Post #11 of 13 (395 views)
Shortcut
Commercials during key football games... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the U.S. during big football games in early December leading up to the release of the movie, they were constantly showing BOTFA commercials promoting the movie (mostly shots of battle scenes), which was very smart marketing as appealing to the male audience here is a good way to go. I know it got me fired up while I was watching the games!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 4:03pm

Post #12 of 13 (342 views)
Shortcut
Ya I saw one when I was watching the Chicago Bulls game [In reply to] Can't Post

And it got me excited lol

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 4:59pm

Post #13 of 13 (331 views)
Shortcut
USA Pro Football Broadcasts [In reply to] Can't Post

are the Highest Ranked of Any Ranked Shows from
September through the Super Bowl in early February

THEREFORE the Most Expensive "Time-Buying" for any..
Mass Marketing.

WB bot a LOT of 15 second spots (Lots of Swords)
usually in the 4th quarter of Late Games
when the Audience IZZZ..the Most Spell-Bound by any
Home Team game.

The Testosterone LEVEL is @ it's Peak...
Perfectly Wonderful
Placement for any Ticket sales @Least in the USA.

This has been well known WorldWide for @ least 30 years.

Go BRONCOS!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.