Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 9:54pm

Post #151 of 204 (1558 views)
Shortcut
     Just reminded me [In reply to]  

that I need to watch this movie again. His performance is a master class in acting.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 10:20pm

Post #152 of 204 (1553 views)
Shortcut
     Understandable [In reply to]  

that Ronan would use his mighty hammer to accuse a lime green colored car of being unworthy then dispense justice. Thranduil would approve.

Please call me, Cassie.

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 10:26pm

Post #153 of 204 (1546 views)
Shortcut
     While... [In reply to]  

Ned would bake pies. Wink

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 10:45pm

Post #154 of 204 (1529 views)
Shortcut
     The Fall [In reply to]  

...surely one of the most (if not the most) underrated cinematic masterpieces of the last decade. Can't remember if I posted these links before, but here is an excellent three-part analysis of the symbolism in The Fall:

Answering the Critics of Tarsem Singh's "The Fall" (Part 1)
More on Tarsem Singh's "The Fall": Beethoven, Back Braces, and Blue Cities (Part 2)
Still Talking About "The Fall": Spilled Coffee and Subtle Clues (Part 3)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2015, 10:57pm

Post #155 of 204 (1571 views)
Shortcut
     Well... [In reply to]  

Most of you have been around quite long enough to know how we respond to namecalling against other members. And people who respond to inappropriate posts lose theirs also.

As to moving on, I hope so. But first, I will ask all of you to stop and consider for one moment that the majority of regulars on this board have been asked to put up with your 35-part monster thread over a very long period of time, an exception to our usual no-thread-bumping approach, and lately you've been increasing the volume and frequency. Instead of priding yourselves on dominating our shared space (two threads on one topic on the first page is against the TOS as well: #7) and then being all indignant when anyone dares to say they're tired of seeing it, perhaps you might remember that you're just a few members in a larger group of fans, this is their sandbox too, and being an exception to the rule is a privilege rather than a right. Never/rarely posting anywhere but this one thread may limit your knowledge of the rest of the forum, let alone the site, but it ought not to limit your courtesy and respect for others as well.

That's all.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 11:19pm

Post #156 of 204 (1526 views)
Shortcut
     Also, "fair use" doesn't apply to pirated material [In reply to]  

First all of let me say that I am in awe of the work that you, Silverlode and the other admins do here, under challenging circumstances. The forum that I run is so much smaller that I don't face the same kind of issues that you face here, and I think you guys do an amazing job.
That said, I wanted to note that while all the points that you make are valid, the issue with material taken from copies of BotFA is more serious because any copies that anyone has of that film are illegal, pirated copies, and therefore sharing any material from them is essentially sharing stolen property, and is illegal under all circumstances. There is no fair use defense against that. You are quite right that TORN could get sued, or that the site could get shut down.
Plus, besides any of the legal ramifications, it is wrong. That should be enough for people, regardless of how blinded they are by the shining light of Thranduil's blazing beauty. Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 12:04am

Post #157 of 204 (1482 views)
Shortcut
     Fix-it fic/comic [In reply to]  

Thanks, OTPE, for that hilarious Elrond/Thranduil/Elk drabble!!! Just what I needed. Laugh

Ned would bake pies. Wink

Speaking of Ned, here's a cute little fix-it fic, to which someone else added a side-splitting comic.

mistergandalf:
"alternate ending to the third hobbit movie
thranduil walks around the battlefield and spies the dead bodies of fili and kili
and then he kneels down and touches them gently with one finger and they come back to life
and everyone lives happily ever after
thranduil is secretly ned the piemaker
the end"

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 12:13am

Post #158 of 204 (1465 views)
Shortcut
     Funny and adorable [In reply to]  

Glad you found it, and shared it with us, Sunny.

Please call me, Cassie.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 12:15am

Post #159 of 204 (1463 views)
Shortcut
     welcome! [In reply to]  

I swear I laughed through every line of it and had clear images in my head. And that being said...

@Adrianna

I was just imaging how Elrond's facial expression was on that. I was rolling on the floor laughing.

Someone needs to DRAW THAT. :)

- - -

thranduil is secretly ned the piemaker

LOL Ned is everywhere, even in Middle-Earth.

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:27am

Post #160 of 204 (1384 views)
Shortcut
     Just wondering [In reply to]  

Would elven lembas bread work with pie filing? Sly

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 3:29am

Post #161 of 204 (1377 views)
Shortcut
     Don't know [In reply to]  

Never heard of it.

What is it made of?

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 3:34am

Post #162 of 204 (1371 views)
Shortcut
     depends, [In reply to]  

maybe Dorwinion flavored would be for the king's liking. Laugh

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:35am

Post #163 of 204 (1374 views)
Shortcut
     A secret recipe used by elves [In reply to]  

It sustained the fellowship of the rings on their journey.

Please call me, Cassie.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:37am

Post #164 of 204 (1370 views)
Shortcut
     Or... [In reply to]  

He could dunk it in his wine goblet.

Please call me, Cassie.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 3:41am

Post #165 of 204 (1365 views)
Shortcut
     Then he would [In reply to]  

hang around in the kitchen all day long waiting for more of it. Laugh Lembas-Pie-Wine soup?

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 3:45am

Post #166 of 204 (1356 views)
Shortcut
     ok, I remember [In reply to]  

Pie wine soup.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 9 2015, 3:50am

Post #167 of 204 (1359 views)
Shortcut
     How about a Cornish pasty [In reply to]  

Bard might introduce his new BFF to the delights of a Welsh/Cornish pasty. A meal and dessert all in one!

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 4:36am

Post #168 of 204 (1341 views)
Shortcut
     Sorta [In reply to]  

Like a chicken pot pie!

Sounds good to.

And on that note it's getting late. It's time for sleep.

Have a good night!Wink

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 4:49am

Post #169 of 204 (1362 views)
Shortcut
     Just wanted you to know [In reply to]  

And no disrespect tended dear mod:

Maybe I'm not interested in what other threads are in here. And as long as I am following the rules. It should not matter were i chose to post my response rather it's in just one or multiples threads This is a free forum for all. And it does not mean I have no knowledge of other subjects or the site itself.

Have a good night!Wink

VValar
Gondor

Jan 9 2015, 9:29am

Post #170 of 204 (1348 views)
Shortcut
     Dear Thralls [In reply to]  

I too shall take my leave from the board/ the wonderful TA threads we have so carefully nurtured over a long period of time but apparently, to some other users, was quite a burden to see shining on the first page of The Hobbit board. I think it's ironic that people would have such difficulty with our populair fun loving topics that it would give them reason enough to start anti-threads in response. And we are the ones to have to stop whining about it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand that not everyone has the same taste when it comes to characters they like. But the mature and responsible thing to do would be to just ignore those threads and leave the people who DO enjoy them in peace. And that's what we Thralls have been doing all along if I'm not mistaken. Showing mutual respect to other board members even though we don't always post outside our beloved TA threads. Insinuating we therefor have a very limited courtesy and respect to others is, imo, completely unfair and to tell you the truth, quite outrageous and disrespectful.

I'm not afraid I will offend anyone with my post, or any of my previous ones on this board, cause in my opinion all of them have been nothing but respectful and curtious to others. Even to the one(s) who thought it funny to step into our threads, wondered out loud what the heck we are still doing here and 'kindly' asks us about our sanity. And without even naming any person in particulair, you all know who would be on top of that list. And for some reason THOSE posts are allowed on this board, even though a mod had been informed about the constant provoking and was in fact aware of it before the PM even was sent. Yeah go figure.

So, my dear Thralls, I don't know when I will be back. Might be that I just need a couple of days to process the ridiculousness of it all, might be for a longer period of time. I loath to leave this wonderful thread with its amazing, friendly and respectful users. You have always made me feel welcome, from the very first post when I decided it was time to stop being a STV and was afraid I wouldn't be able to contribute anything meaningful, to the very last threads where more and more Thralls decided to step out of the dark lurker-corners of the board and we had all such a great (with lots of laughs!) time Smile
Special thanks to Kerweyn and Eruvandi who replied to my last couple of posts (Elven army with arrows/Elven passings).

If anyone would like to contact me, my PM box is open Smile

Heart to you all

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 12:31pm

Post #171 of 204 (1281 views)
Shortcut
     The rebirth, the 'fall' and The Fall [In reply to]  

I also remember him saying in his later Hobbit Twitter Q&A that they'd be in the EE, so I think they didn't make the cut for the theatrical.

That’s one geeky observation I’ll be aiming to pin down!

One elf who we're pretty sure reincarnated is good ol' Glorfindel. He, along with an elf named Echthelion made a valiant effort to defend those who escaped the great elven city of Gondolin when it was attacked by Morgoth during the First Age of ME, but both of them died. In Glorfindel's case, he killed a Balrog, but both he and the Balrog fell, and so he died too. Then, he apparently reincarnated at some point because he showed up again as a very powerful elf-lord and helped hold off the Ring Wraiths and get Frodo to Rivendell in FOTR.

Aha! I remember reading about Glofindel’s death, and was all “waydaminute, what about FOTR?” You’d wonder though, if a couple of Elves had a close marriage, couldn’t it be a marriage pact, that if one dies, they make a promise to choose to come back? Or perhaps it’s an unspoken thing, the one who dies may make their own choice. If I were the remaining partner, I’d be a bit sore if my loved one chose to stay in Valinor. Perhaps Thranduil is bitter about this, and that’s why he’s not spoken to Legolas about his mum.

Thranduil probably turned CGI for a minute too,

I don’t know why I find this thought amusing! But yes, that stunt would be easy to pull off. I wonder if they have a look alike stunt man standing by, just in case *imagines Thranduil lookalike*. There is one on-set pic somewhere with a blonde elf type with same hairline, standing around in a padded jacket.

SunnyD, thanks for those links to The Fall. Heart I had read the first one, but not parts 2 and 3. Wow! This writer’s thoughts really helped, I recall, between my first and second viewings of The Fall (which I have only seen twice – am intending to purchase soon, actually)

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 9 2015, 12:51pm

Post #172 of 204 (1276 views)
Shortcut
     Sorry to see you go [In reply to]  

I've enjoyed your posts and have not found them intrusive in the least. It's not as if you have gone OT in other posts and lead to this subject in them – you have kept it mainly to Thranduil-related posts.

Take care.Unimpressed

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 1:24pm

Post #173 of 204 (1308 views)
Shortcut
     It's time to say something. [In reply to]  

... to fellow Thralls, to mods, to all you watchers of this thread (we know you linger in the shadows.Smile)

I’ve been an intermittent TORn member since 2004, and have been involved in the TA Threads almost from the beginning. It has been the most amazing ongoing conversation, and one of the best parts of last year for me. In a new appreciation for the Elven majesty, I’ve met so many lovely posters and learnt so, so much. The TA Thread has educated me on matters of Elven lore, given me an appreciation for the First Born that this hobbit-fancier never previously held, enhanced my movie-viewing experiences, and has directly lead to me re-reading The Silmarillion, this time successfully. There has been much here to lift my heart during the frequent tedium of RL, to make me laugh, smile, study (and swoon).

I thank TORn for hosting such a forum where this community has been allowed to exist. Because that’s what it’s been. It wasn’t set up to be, it wasn’t intended, it just happened organically. A community that were falling over each other to talk about and figure out this very complex and awe-inspiring Elf. It was a close-knit but inclusive community within the wider community of TORn, and the only portal was the Movie TH front door, which, once closed, had to be quickly opened again because we just had to keep that conversation going. If there were some other way of housing that community, we would have taken it there. (I have some ideas on creating community spaces, which I may take to Feedback.) But within the format of the TORn boards, there were no other options.

I’m saddened to hear from you, Silverlode, that in your view this community has been merely viewed as a “35 part monster thread”, and that “the majority have been asked to put up with it”. A silent majority then. Apart from the one dissenter, we’ve never heard a negative word, nor a suggestion from the admins that ‘that’s enough now’. Rather, we have had people randomly dropping in to say how much they love reading it and sometimes they even stay a while, and we’ve had cheerful and encouraging threadlock posts from dernwyn, to the likes of: “Hey thralls, you’ve having so much fun, it’s now time to start Thread XX-whatever!”
Personally, I have to “put up with” searching back several pages on the Movie TH front page, to find certain topics I want to contribute to… only to find they are in their dying throes. I “put up with it” cheerfully as par for the course (as cheerfully as, I’m sure, the majority of users tolerate the TA threads, and here I use ‘tolerate’ as the positive attribute of ‘tolerance’), and I return to the thread that is constantly alive, and where I know for certain that my friends will be waiting to talk, and favoured topics can be reactivated time and time again without annoying "the majority".

Some are under the impression that it’s been a full time “gushing session” but they’d be mistaken. There has been much to discuss, and it’s been pulled together, contained, in one space. Under our TA umbrella, we can discuss matters such as wines, orchids, Orophor, Lee Pace’s horsemanship in 'The Fall' and other related topics that I’m sure other users would find less relevant to the movie page, but do not have another home / ideal place to post.

If the TA Threads are a phenomenon that’s fate has been to last but a year, then it’s been truly one of the best online years of my life. A safe haven, amongst the occasional bickering that tends to happen elsewhere. A place where someone such as me, who is a little shy even online, has the courage to state an opinion.

I say a heartfelt thank you to my fellow Thralls who have made this such a joyful community to be part of (especially when RL was hard). You’re a pleasant, kind and sweet natured lot. The Elven King, for all his aloofness, attracts good people as his subjects. And a special thanks to those of you who took so much time and effort to create amazing content for our enjoyment - you know who you are. And to all who shared your research, wit and carefully considered thoughts, and gently guided my movie-firster naivety into the light.

HeartHeartHeart

This is probably not 'Namarie', but I'm a little upset tonight, so I don't yet know. Just in case, I'll re-phrase another favourite writer of mine:

"So long, and thanks for all the Pretty."

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2015, 2:11pm

Post #174 of 204 (1241 views)
Shortcut
     Likewise... [In reply to]  

Really sorry to see this turn of events. I hope you and your fellow thralls who are feeling demoralized will hang around a bit longer.
I even have some brand new "pretty" for you, from my favourite artist, Kimberly80. Enjoy!

http://kimberly80.deviantart.com/...Day-Battle-505879631

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 9 2015, 2:47pm

Post #175 of 204 (1238 views)
Shortcut
     Beautifully put, Kerewyn [In reply to]  

Thank you for expressing your opinion – and I hope you will not disappear, too.Heart

I must admit that I am rather baffled by this whole business.Unimpressed

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.