First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 2:27am

Post #101 of 204 (2999 views)
Shortcut
     *crossing fingers* [In reply to]  

Smile

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 2:43am

Post #102 of 204 (2994 views)
Shortcut
     Screams LOL! [In reply to]  

I am in! I am in!

I was quite nervous but I keep my composure. As Galion called my name.

I walked in and there he was. I stood there quiet as a mouse. He walked around me. I felt his eyes looking at every square inch of me. I dare not look into his eyes.

He asked me to come sit on his lap. I felt his arms wrap around me. And he spoke to me. He asked me several different question ranging from where was I was from and why do I want to be his concubine. I spoke softly and clearly.

Then asked me to stand back up and then he came close to me and lifted my face up with his hands and touched my hair. I could have fainted right there but I had steady.

As he turned away I heard him say "I want her as well". I wanted to THUD on the floor and my eyes swelled with tears.

Galion dismissed me. After making sure I was far away my legs began to fall from up under me as I can still hear him say, "I want her as well"

Oh, Thank you Cassie for helping me. I couldn't believe it. HeartHeartHeart

You'll be the first one to try my new Thranduil treats free of charge.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 2:51am

Post #103 of 204 (2978 views)
Shortcut
     So happy for you. [In reply to]  

*doing happy dance*
It has been quite a day Not sure I ordered enough wine for tonight

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 2:54am

Post #104 of 204 (2973 views)
Shortcut
     Don't worry! [In reply to]  

I think I had some secretly stored so those two knuckleheads wouldn't get there hands on them.

Wink

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 3:13am

Post #105 of 204 (2965 views)
Shortcut
     that calls for a party [In reply to]  

Wink Glad you made it. Cool

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2015, 3:14am

Post #106 of 204 (2988 views)
Shortcut
     Done - thank you! [In reply to]  

And thank you for your leadership on this issue. Every member has a role in how these boards operate, not just the admins.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 3:29am

Post #107 of 204 (3049 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, Glorfindela. Glad stuff here makes you laugh [In reply to]  

Just came from posting my response to Daniel's objection about laughing about that thread. I feel vindicated by your post.SmileHeart

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXIV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI | XXXII | XXXIII

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 3:31am

Post #108 of 204 (2956 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, entmaiden // [In reply to]  

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI | XXXII | XXXIII

=======

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 3:54am

Post #109 of 204 (2953 views)
Shortcut
     Watching the proceedings [In reply to]  

Joe MacMillan sitting there, judging y'all.

[But all I want to do is climb onto his lap. Cool ]

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 4:05am

Post #110 of 204 (2942 views)
Shortcut
     This is going down hill [In reply to]  

But from what see. I rather sit (cough) somewhere else other than his lap.

Ok I need to get my mind out the gutter maybe more like the sewer!

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 8 2015, 4:21am

Post #111 of 204 (2915 views)
Shortcut
     Oh my... [In reply to]  

what a ride. Like the way he shifts in his chair,

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 4:26am

Post #112 of 204 (2906 views)
Shortcut
     Yes [In reply to]  

Now, if he just move his hands out of the way.

Dang it! My mind is back in sewers again. LOL!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 7:14am

Post #113 of 204 (2865 views)
Shortcut
     Reply to posts from the last thread - Ellf arrows, Elf corpses [In reply to]  

(because six pages in about 24 hours? I'm behind...!)

Eruvandi:

Tbh, I love that whole scene with Thranduil and Dain because I just think it's so funny! My aunt made it even funnier when I saw BotFA with her because when Dain says, "I'll split his pretty head open and see if he's smirking then!" and the camera goes back to Thranduil, who is indeed smirking, my aunt leaned over and whispered, "The only thing Thranduil heard is that Dain thinks he's pretty!" Lol!

LOL! Thanks for sharing that. That did affect the way I viewed the smirk last night. (And in keeping with the copyright viewing, smirk avie now banished.)

VValar:

That moment in the official BOFA trailer where we see Thranduil's army in front of the gates of Erebor shooting their arrows: Do we see that moment in the actual movie? I can't seem to remember it but chances are my mind was too preoccupied with the actions of a certain Elven King that I completely missed it. I don't see him riding through his army on this picture either. It seems the Elves are firing their arrows in the general direction of Dain and his army of Dwarves, since the Orc army came from straight behind the Elven army (or so it appeared in the film). Do you think this could perhaps be a cut scene that will be in the EE's? Or did I really miss it and it was already in the theatrical version?

Hmm, I don’t think any mass firing of arrows took place. Certainly we see the arrows in position, ready to fire (at Thorin) at Thranduil’s signal.

Another question: when Tauriel is grieving of Kili's body she says to Thranduil: 'They want to burry him' (or something similar), as if it's an outrageous thing to do with the dead. Thranduil replies matter of factly "Yes" as if it IS a normal thing to do (for Dwarves?). What did you think of this exchange? I can imagine it's an absolute common sense for a Dwarf to burry the dead since they're into digging, rocks and caves. But what about the Elves, how did they say goodbye to their loved ones? Is there something in the Tolkien literature that describes their parting ritual?

That too struck me as odd. As though the thought of burial – a normal death rite for humans and other peoples – is abhorrent to her. I also interpreted it as “they want to take him away from me” – which seems extreme, but there it is, I thought it. As you did, I also wondered how the Elves are going to deal with their fallen comrades. Here be some answers, though it deals more with individuals: http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/54863206992/elvish-corpses

A key answer is… “Elvish bodies robbed of their spirit quickly disintegrated and vanished.”
Supposing that the survivors of Dale would be gathering and burying their own dead.. it depends how quickly these bodies to disappear. Otherwise Thranduil could gather his fallen and transport them back to Mirkwood, where I guess they could be laid out until they vanish.

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jan 8 2015, 7:15am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2015, 8:17am

Post #114 of 204 (2887 views)
Shortcut
     Sub-thread deleted for personal remarks. [In reply to]  

So let me remind you all of basic TORNetiquette: If you think someone's comments violate the TOS, PM an Admin. The Mods are always willing to discuss problems and concerns with you. If, however, the other person merely annoys you, reply civilly or simply ignore and move on. Either way, observe the TOS yourselves and don't get into name-calling and retaliatory comments (or retaliatory posting, with pics or otherwise).

Remember, we end threads when they stray from discussing the topic into discussing their fellow members and why and whether they should hold the opinions they do. We can end the TA threads if they do the same. These threads are not a separate forum unto themselves, nor are they an elite private club. I'm loth to rain on the Feast of Starlight, but I'd far rather that than see it succumb to this sort of thing.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 9:10am

Post #115 of 204 (2889 views)
Shortcut
     Nicely written, Adrianna [In reply to]  

I'm not usually one for a Mary Sue, but you have some evocative imagery going there. Smile

All newbie thralls, please just remember to keep it clean enough to avoid mod wrath. You seem to be creative enough to do so. A few posts have been about to cross the line. Just sayin'. Not meaning to be a kill joy, but after all that's been going on, I'd hate for this to come up as yet another issue.
(Just my two cents worth as a core member since Thread I. )

Remember, the Fan Art forums exist for posting fan fic, as well as art. Lurker, Avandel and I have had a Thranduil vs Thorin based story going there. (currently in 'getting more inspiration' resting mode.) Evil

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jan 8 2015, 9:11am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 10:27am

Post #116 of 204 (2799 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks Entmaiden [In reply to]  

I have sent you a PM regarding my recent avatar.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 10:53am

Post #117 of 204 (2781 views)
Shortcut
     I attended my third screening last night... [In reply to]  

I had mentioned I didn't want to go with a certain friend to my first screening, as I knew she'd be scathing afterwards, and that wouldn't be great for me - not on the first screening.

So, I sat there again, absorbed by it all, making further geeky observations etc. At the end, I thought I could hear her sniffing. 'Ah, she's crying', I thought, vindicated, as I pressed my own tissue to my eyes. (Bilbo's sob over Thorin is what triggers me, as does Billy Boyd's 'Last Goodbye')

But no, turns out she was just sniffing, in other ways. As we walked out, I said with unbridled enthusiasm, 'So did you just love that?!'

Her: Hmm, not really. I'm kinda meh about it. Some of the fighting scenes were good, but the script was awful. But I am glad the writers decided to kill off some of those characters. Someone needed to die.

Me: Thorin, Kili and Fili DO die in the book, you know.

Her: No they don't, I've read it.

Me: They DO. It's IN the book.

(argument ensues) But though I was prepared for her response, I was still disappointed by it.
At least a LOTR-fan work colleague I sit near is enthralled by it... even if she does think Thranduil is a "douche" over his treasure lust. I explained to her about the White Gems being an heirloom, and she said 'I really don't pick that up from the movie. They need to explain that better.'

Anyway. I think I've noticed the scene in which LP's parents may be extras. He says in Empire that they are Laketown refugees, standing beside Gandalf, and that his mother is holding a stick topped with kitchen knives.
In this TE version, the only scene where that all comes together is down on the field before the battle commences, when general insult-trading with Dain is taking place. There was Gandalf with a line of weapon-wielding Laketowners standing behind him.And I think I saw the kitchen knives stick. But I'm gonna need the DVD so I can pause there. Maybe they didn't make this cut.

For Thralls who remember our earlier discussions about LP in The Fall (this is where I need the TA index that we haven't created yet!)
In an interview, LP says how thrilling it was when they filmed the scene where he rides his horse quite fast while saying to camera "Tell me Alexandra, do you speak English?" This popped into my mind as I watched Thranduil dashing on Bubba through his troops, yelling a command to them in Elvish, and I wonder if LP drew on his previous filming and was equally thrilled.

He's a fine horseman. I think he would probably have needed a stunt man for only one instance, and that's the forward roll off Bubba. But I'd like to think he did that stunt himself. (especially since he played a stunt man in The Fall!)

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 11:26am

Post #118 of 204 (2764 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you, Kerewyn [In reply to]  

I guess I got to overly excited.

Sorry, about that. Unsure

mariel
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 11:30am

Post #119 of 204 (2762 views)
Shortcut
     Treasure and stunts [In reply to]  

I have to agree with your work colleague re Thranduil [and also Glorfindela who wrote this in another thread - 'However, the whole gem business is one thing that should have been explained right upfront, since it affects one's perception of Thranduil's character.']

There is zero explanation in any of the films regarding the importance of the gems to Thranduil for the casual movie goer. You shouldn't have to rely on listening to interviews to understand the plot.

As far as LP doing the forward roll stunt. I bet they didn't let him do it in case he damaged his face for one thing. Think of the expense involved waiting for him to recover if the worst happened.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 12:53pm

Post #120 of 204 (2740 views)
Shortcut
     That's OK, hon [In reply to]  

Smile

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 1:12pm

Post #121 of 204 (2735 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, one other thing I noticed... [In reply to]  

After Legolas walks away from his father in the tunnels, and we see the emotion on Thranduil's face... as he looks down, he is shaking his head very very slightly, as if saying 'no, this can't be happening.' It's so terribly subtle, but powerful.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 1:18pm

Post #122 of 204 (2719 views)
Shortcut
     agreed and agreed [In reply to]  

I was actually wondering if he did the stunt himself. I kinda think he would've, but of course they wouldn't let him- way too risky.

And as for the gems, there is definitely a big hole left behind that needs some massive closure, that's for sure. Not only a casual movie goer, but also someone who is new to all of this, and hasn't seen the movies or read the book (ergo has no basic knowledge) has trouble following this part and so it make no sense, because there seems to be something amiss.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 1:30pm

Post #123 of 204 (2724 views)
Shortcut
     *sniff* [In reply to]  

This is the saddest and most emotional scene for me (ok, and the scene of poor Bubba getting shot!) Unsure

It's sch great acting, to deliver something so big with just a small movement.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 1:59pm

Post #124 of 204 (2829 views)
Shortcut
     Apologies for the unintended violation, and a note for fellow Thralls [In reply to]  

Silverlode: I just want to state I did not set out to deliberately violate terms of use. But the WoM zap is well noted. No disrespect but just personally: oh, the irony of the timing!

Seriously, it's just a pity the responses that came attached to my post got deleted as well, because they showed maturity, imo, and that posters of TA are already moving on.

Dear fellow Thralls:
First, thank you to fellow-thralls who responded (I peeked in earlier and had a good laugh at the fun you had turning the situation into another gush session. A fine way to say good-nightHeart And that's how it should be in TACool)

Now, I will be taking a very brief hiatus from TA, due to RL, and because I don't need the distraction of dealing with what's happening, nor the stress of toeing the posting rules. My hiatus is not due to anything high-drama (just run-of-mill work/life stuff), so please do not be alarmed on my account - though I will be no less touched to have your concernSmile

I will be back, so keep on carousing, and TA going! But remember: stay out of trouble too (says she who's not even trying to stand the kitchen heatEvil).

Meantime, if you want to connect, my blog (in my sig) might be the better bet than PM. Later, and take care! *HUGS*

(right now feeling) curmudgeonly yours,
Lurker in the mirk aka Biddy with the woesCrazyLaughEvil

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jan 8 2015, 1:59pm)

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 8 2015, 2:47pm

Post #125 of 204 (2719 views)
Shortcut
     since were talking about... [In reply to]  

... Thranduil on piano the other day. This is a nice drawing.

Phantom of the Opera

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.