Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 204 (3104 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXV  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please remember this golden rule:

Do not post pictures directly from the BotFA cinema release, or scans from related print materials, unless they are from the trailers or from official sites. Such images are copyright violations and will be removed by the mods. (Read this warning from the mods for details)

Also, do refer to
- the TORn guides on the "Welcome" board, or
- the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information.

It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

And now back to your regularly scheduled ThranduilHeartAppreciation

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Whoa, our fairy-modmother dernwyn sneaked up like a ninja and caught us right at 202 posts! Thanks to Adrianna and OTP who tipped the thread, we're now moving on to TAXXXV! Let the Appreciation roll on!Smile

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Source)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar)
XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XXVI (Thread by Eruvandi) | XXVII (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XXVIII | XXIX (Threads by Eruvandi)
XXX (Thread by VValar) | XXXI | XXXII | XXXIII XXXIV(Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also"Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Thud Cushions. Thrall kit staple, and safety precaution for the inevitability of super high thud occurrences. In-thread purveyed most-in-demand item, best paired with HTR alerts.
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"
  • Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

Happy Hobbity New Year! :D

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 8 2015, 3:12am)

entmaiden
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2015, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 204 (2342 views)
    Shortcut
         GENERAL WARNING [In reply to]  

It has come to our attention that these threads have been including screen captures from the BOTFA movies. Unless you are posting pictures from the trailers or from official movie sites, these images are copyright violations and will be removed.

We have had to post multiple warnings in these threads about picture size and copyright violations, so please make sure you are staying within legal boundaries and TORN rules, or we will eliminate these threads entirely.

Thanks.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 7 2015, 6:23pm)

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 6:32pm

Post #3 of 204 (2276 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh my! [In reply to]  

Not for sure I'll be posting any images anymore. I'll let the experts do that Shocked.

Don't want to get us in trouble.

Any take on my posting about Thanduil's Wife?

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 6:33pm

Post #4 of 204 (2260 views)
    Shortcut
         Lovely Screenshot [In reply to]  

Love the soft colors. Evil

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 204 (2265 views)
    Shortcut
         A note to all thralls on posting screencaps and gifs from BotFA [In reply to]  

I just wanted to point out a cautionary note from entmaiden in the last thread about posting screencaps from BofFA.

She said:

Subject: I removed your pictures and the link

They are taken from movie shots, and until the DVD is released, they are a copyright violation since they had to come from illegal copies of the movie. Please refrain from using illegal screen captures - I'll post a general warning in this thread.

If we Thralls want these threads to continue and avoid wrath of Mod we need to be careful to follow the TORn ToS and make sure that all of our pics, gifs, screencaps, videos, etc. are from legal sources.

Thanks for reading! Carry on with the appreciation.Smile

ETA: entmaiden beat me to it on the general warning, but I'll leave this here anyway just as an extra-cautionary measure

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 7 2015, 6:37pm)

Awië
    The Shire

Jan 7 2015, 6:37pm

Post #6 of 204 (2261 views)
    Shortcut
         Wife of Thranduil [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Any take on my posting about Thanduil's Wife?

I'd say she is up for grabs. I don't see anywhere she is mentioned in Tolkien lore, and, its fiction after-all. We can weave a character of our choice, right?!!

'Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting,' --JRR Tolkien--

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 6:40pm

Post #7 of 204 (2229 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh! [In reply to]  

Okay now I understand.Evil

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 204 (2241 views)
    Shortcut
         Note taken! [In reply to]  

No more SCs unless they are from trailers or DVD/BR or other official and legal source!

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 204 (2237 views)
    Shortcut
         If you're talking about the OP image [In reply to]  

That's not a screenshot, that's actually a painting. Gorgeous isn't it?Heart I believe the artist uses watercolors. I put link to the source directly under the pic.Smile

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:01pm

Post #10 of 204 (2209 views)
    Shortcut
         I stand corrected! [In reply to]  

Yes it is. I linked to the source and the artist have others paintings that are just as equally nice.

And I like your posting in the Anti Thranduil.Sly

SunnyD
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 7:03pm

Post #11 of 204 (2219 views)
    Shortcut
         Heh, there are still five threads [In reply to]  

...related to Thranduil on page 1. Yes, I'm counting the "Anti-Thranduil" thread, which is a backhanded acknowledgement of the indelible impact Thranduil has had and a disapproving reaction to how much fun we're having! Sly

Thanks, Eruvandi, for putting up the new thread so quickly. Let's party on, Thralls! Cool

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:12pm

Post #12 of 204 (2189 views)
    Shortcut
         Here! Here! [In reply to]  

On that note.

I'll drink to some Summer Wine on that note.

They can hate all they want. We rock and rule.

Let's see how many threads they do a week. They won't even get out of thread 1 by the end of the week. LOL!

SunnyD
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 7:23pm

Post #13 of 204 (2178 views)
    Shortcut
         *clinks glasses with Adrianna* [In reply to]  

Salut! Cool

There are some very nice responses in the Anti-Thranduil thread. Our fellow Thrall Eruvandi's, and also Avandel's, which expresses precisely my feelings about the whole thing.

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 7 2015, 7:23pm)

Awië
    The Shire

Jan 7 2015, 7:29pm

Post #14 of 204 (2183 views)
    Shortcut
         Life is good - Lets just have fun [In reply to]  

I come here for a bit of fun, and I'm guessing the rest of you do too.

Don't be worrying about those who think we're all a bunch of hormone ridden teenagers, or elderly women needing psychiatric help.

The Hobbit, LOTR, The Sil, the movies, the books, its all fiction and fantasy, we can deal with it in any way we please.

With my life ticking away (Cacner Stage IV), I'm up for a bit.... I mean allot of fun and laughter.

Lets leave the anti to the anti and have us some fun.

Just sayin'

'Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting,' --JRR Tolkien--

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:35pm

Post #15 of 204 (2164 views)
    Shortcut
         My sentiments actually [In reply to]  

Since I've joined the forum over a week ago. I've been having so much fun laughing and THUDDING all over the place.Laugh

It's been a WOot!

SunnyD
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 7:39pm

Post #16 of 204 (2165 views)
    Shortcut
         *massive massive hugs* [In reply to]  

...coming your way, Awië. I love that you are having fun, and that you're finding it here.

Perhaps an express order of chocolate-dipped Thranduils and a case of Summer Wine will take the edge off?

Adrianna, do you think you can rouse Feren and Lindir and tell them to get on it? Tongue

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:48pm

Post #17 of 204 (2158 views)
    Shortcut
         Well! [In reply to]  

I've already sent her a Welcome sampler package.

It was noted in Thread 34.

So not for sure if she noticed that.

She can let me know if he hadn't received it yet.

From previous thread:

Thanks for the cheer up.

I will send you a sampler package of some of my tasty Thranduil treats.

They are most delicious and delightful.

SunnyD has tried them and can vouch that they are good.

SunnyD
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 7:57pm

Post #18 of 204 (2137 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh, sorry, I did miss that [In reply to]  

And I can indeed vouch that the goodies are scrumpdiddlyicious!!!

But, Awië, be careful with that Summer Wine -- it's so potent that I felt its effects even before Adrianna's package arrived! Wink

mariel
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:57pm

Post #19 of 204 (2164 views)
    Shortcut
         Something to cheer us up [In reply to]  

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 8:03pm

Post #20 of 204 (2132 views)
    Shortcut
         New products will be coming this year! [In reply to]  

Working on some new goodies this year.

Maybe even a new wine flavor.

In the testing lab now. Have to make sure Feren and Lindir don't get lazy and drink all the wine. There know for that. My Lord will not be amused by there behavior. He can have quite the temper.

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 8:07pm

Post #21 of 204 (2132 views)
    Shortcut
         send Lindir and Feren to me [In reply to]  

I'll make sure they won't be drinking all the wine. Evil Wink

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

ltnjmy
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 8:10pm

Post #22 of 204 (2128 views)
    Shortcut
         Quite Right Fellow Thralls !! (Waves special Hello to SunnyD, Awie & Adrianna) [In reply to]  

We just come here to share our love of his Sassiness. Also, I have to start watching that Mindy project show to see my handsome LP (hehe) - yes, I am just a 40 something spinster in NYC (USA) who needs psychiatric help because I love my leader of the Woodland realm EvilHeartEvil

ltnjmy
    Rivendell

Jan 7 2015, 8:12pm

Post #23 of 204 (2132 views)
    Shortcut
         Swooning and Thudding over LP keeps one forever young [In reply to]  

Heart In my humble Opinion Heart

Adrianna
    Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 8:14pm

Post #24 of 204 (2112 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh! [In reply to]  

You can have them.

There are a Hot messMad.

Can't get anything done around here. And don't let our Lord know. I'm not getting ready to get put out of the Halls for those two. I'll get some more help if need be.

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 8:15pm

Post #25 of 204 (2165 views)
    Shortcut
         Re Thranduil's storyline, wife, and what PJ and PB say happened to the wifey [In reply to]  

Good observations in your Thranduil's Wife post, Adrianna! (I put a link there just in case anyone else has trouble finding it and wants to know what we're talking aboutSmile)

A lot of people seem to have the same questions about that storyline, and I hope they'll do something more in the EE to expand on it, because it's a little annoying for them to bring it up and then not flesh it out in the movie.

To respond to your specific points:

Is there anywhere in the books stating she died in Gundaba? Not from what I'm seeing. The only thing that's there is a necklace that he had made for his wife.

As was stated by another poster, no, Tolkien never mentioned Thranduil's wife and he never said what happened to her.

There wasn't an mention of Thranduil having a necklace made for her either. In The Hobbit, Thranduil had a weakness for jewels in general, though which ones he specifically liked best can get mixed up because in the Hobbit book chapter, "Flies and Spiders", Tolkien starts out by describing the Elvenking of Mirkwood, then he starts talking about the rift between the elves/dwarves and an "elf-king" from ancient days who liked silver and white gems best. Then later, after the actual BoFA, Tolkien says that Bard gave Thranduil, (he's only called the "Elvenking" in the book), emeralds, which are his favorite gems. Confusing right?Crazy

However, I have seen it said by others and it is my opinion as well that when Tolkien starts talking about the "elf-king" from ancient days and the rift between the elves/dwarves in the Flies/Spiders chapter, he actually is switching to talking about the elf king named Thingol who shows up in the Silmarillion. Long story short, Thingol, who lived through part of the First Age of ME got hold of one of the three Silmarils which were coveted by many elves and had a tendency to make their owners greedy (like dragon-sickness IMO). Thingol was no exception to this and he became obsessed with his Silmaril and therefore asked the dwarves to forge a necklace for it so he could always wear it. The dwarves made the necklace, but then they started coveting the Silmaril too and when Thingol came to get the necklace there was an argument, and the dwarves killed Thingol on the spot. Thranduil had nothing to do with this incident and it's debatable whether or not he was even born at that point in time.

In the Hobbit, the only necklace that is mentioned in relation to Thranduil, is a random one from the dragon hoard that Bilbo gives him because Bilbo wanted to repay him for sneaking around his halls and eating his food for free. (Bilbo's so sweetHeart)

I think what has happened in the movies is, that because PJ and co don't have the rights to the Silmarillion material but still wanted to explain the rift between the dwarves/elves, they actually took inspiration from the story of Thingol and, by changing certain key elements from it, applied it to Thranduil and used it to flesh out his background.

I was going on the assumption that PJ and PB know what actually happen to her. But in essence they don't.

Actually, they do sort of know what happened to her, but they had to make it up since Tolkien never mentioned it. PB did an interview with Empire magazine and in it she said,

"She [Tauriel] says ”There’s no love in you”. She’s actually utterly wrong. He [Thranduil] has loved so deeply that he can’t go near it anymore. He can’t approach it, he can’t touch it, it is not to be talked about. So when he finally says to Legolas “Your mother loved you, more than anything, more than life”, that’s what we said to the actor in that moment is that she died saving her child."

My interpretation of that is that in the story PJ and PB made up for Thranduil's wife, she died in Gundabad while trying to save Legolas' life, but Legolas was apparently so small, he doesn't remember any of it. I kind of wonder if they decided that something similar to what happened to Elrond's wife (kidnapped by orcs) happened to Thranduil's wife, only they kidnapped Legolas too and she died trying to save him. OR, maybe orcs kidnapped Legolas alone and his mother died trying to get him back.

Yes the elves love on a deeper level than humans but I cant' believe that he would not able to love again or go near it if it presents itself.

I sort of agree with you here and I sort of don't. According to Tolkien, only one elf in history ever re-married after losing his spouse, and since elves are supposed to feel love so much more deeply, plus the fact that they live forever and would therefore expect to live forever with their loved ones at their side, I would argue that they might feel other things, like loss more deeply too. I also imagine that just as different people in RL deal with loss in different ways, elves could deal with it in different ways too. So while Elrond, although he was probably hurt deeply by his wife's death, recovered fairly well, Thranduil might have been so devastated by the loss of his own wife that it just hurt to much to show love to anyone after that. He had to learn how to heal before he could move on, and the fact that he was able to finally tell Legolas that his mother loved him indicates to me that he was starting to reach that point of healing, and was essentially telling Legolas that he loved him too, and loved him enough to tell him about his mother.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.