The White Gems Of Pure Starlight
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 3:37pm

Post #26 of 45 (6416 views)
Shortcut
Also, the grandson of Feanor, Celebrimbor... [In reply to] Can't Post

was a master smith who founded the Elven settlement of Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion during the Second Age and there was great friendship and trade between those Noldor and the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, as signified by the inscription on the Gates of Moria.

The Fellowship pass the ruins in FotR...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 3:57pm

Post #27 of 45 (6408 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes Elves of Eregion could also work metals, but those were the Noldor and the Elves of The Mirkwood was not Noldor them could probably work metal but not great at all. So it took dwarfs to make beautiful objects.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:27pm

Post #28 of 45 (6407 views)
Shortcut
Agree, that is not correct, Elves are masters of most crafts, but occasionally [In reply to] Can't Post

the dwarves were just better, such as stonework and some metal work. After all, the dwarves came from Aule the Smith.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 3 2015, 6:28pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:30pm

Post #29 of 45 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Poor phrasing [In reply to] Can't Post

'The elves' here are obviously meant to stand for the Wood-elves of Mirkwood only.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 6:55pm

Post #30 of 45 (6394 views)
Shortcut
Yes 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes here we talk about the Woodelfs of Mirkwood and Dwarves of Erebor

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:55pm

Post #31 of 45 (6401 views)
Shortcut
I think by the time of the 3rd age, with the influx of Nolder an Sindar the crafts [In reply to] Can't Post

would have been learned. Thranduil certainly had metal work as well as his soldiers. Yes, in the early ages, they were far more primitive, but centuries have passed, ages of cultural change.

"In the early Second Age, after the War of Wrath, Oropher of Doriath (father of Thranduil and grandfather of Legolas) along with few of the Sindar came to forest realm east of Misty Mountains. He became the King of the Silvan Elves and established the Wooldland Realm of Greenwood the Great (S Eryn Galen). The culture of Silvan folk were rude and rustic compared to the Beleriandic culture of the Sindar.[2] But soon the Sindar merged with the Silvan Elves and adopted their language, took names of Silvan form and style. This language was a dialect of Sindarin known as Silvan Elvish.[2] On the eastern side of the Misty Mountains, Amdír (father of Amroth), another Sinda leader came to the land known as Laurelindórenan (or Lórinand) and ruled over the Silvan elves as their King."

"In the early Third Age remnants of the Noldorin realms such as Lindon and Eregion sought new dwellings in more eastern lands and the Silvan Elves of Lórien experienced an influx of Noldor (and Sindar) who had survived the War of the Last Alliance and the fall of Eregion."[1]

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Silvan_Elves

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 3 2015, 6:59pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:58pm

Post #32 of 45 (6396 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien claims otherwise [In reply to] Can't Post

[The Elvenking's] people neither mined nor worked metals or jewels, nor did they bother much with trade or with tilling the earth.
- Flies and Spiders, TH

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 7:01pm

Post #33 of 45 (6392 views)
Shortcut
I think the problem is that in The Hobbit the world and history had not been [In reply to] Can't Post

as developed and linked to the earlier ages so it is potential consistency error.

They did not bother much with trade? The wine trade with Laketown was key.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 3 2015, 7:03pm)

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 7:04pm

Post #34 of 45 (6383 views)
Shortcut
PS 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Ps one my thread The seven Dwarfsrings have i a new quest that need answear.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 7:05pm

Post #35 of 45 (6386 views)
Shortcut
But it would explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

... where they got the idea.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 7:21pm

Post #36 of 45 (6373 views)
Shortcut
Grrrr 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten Thranduil is one of the people of Doriath or he father was ... It is reached in that I hate Thranduil and woodlandrelam and I hate Doriath and Thinghol them are the same snide bad extinguished GrrrrrFrown

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 8:24pm

Post #37 of 45 (6369 views)
Shortcut
Konrad, have you read The Children of Hurin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 6:51am

Post #38 of 45 (6349 views)
Shortcut
Not yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Not yet Blush i have some books left i have read lotr 1,2 and 3 and i saw the films first when i was 5 years old and silmarillion and some of Unfinished Tales and some of The rings world or what it is on english and The Children of Hurin is in Unfinished Tales and i have see the 3 hobbit films but not read itUnsure

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 4 2015, 3:36pm

Post #39 of 45 (6352 views)
Shortcut
The Children of Hurin is what I would suggest as a next read as it [In reply to] Can't Post

has been put together as a more cohesive story and you will read (besides Hurin's tale and children) of Thingol and Nargothrond and his alliance with the dwarves who aided him building caves and smithing weapons and armor, of Gondolin and its fall etc.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 1:33pm

Post #40 of 45 (6316 views)
Shortcut
The Neckace of Lasgalen [In reply to] Can't Post

The name Lasgalen comes from Eryn Lasgalen (Sindarin; 'wood of green leaves'), the name given to Mirkwood after its cleansing following the War of the Ring. However, what is the significance of the name in the context of the films? Was Lasgalen the name of Thranduil's dead wife (and mother to Legolas)?

The name could have a double meaning. Las is Sindarin for 'leaf'. Galen means 'green'. However, gal by itself means 'to shine' so an alternate translation of Lasgalen could be 'leaf that shines'.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2015, 2:28am

Post #41 of 45 (6309 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that they're using Lasgalen as the name of Thranduil's royal house. After all, Legolas is referred to as Legolas Greenleaf in both books and movies.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2015, 1:40pm

Post #42 of 45 (6294 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that they're using Lasgalen as the name of Thranduil's royal house. After all, Legolas is referred to as Legolas Greenleaf in both books and movies.

That is a distinct possibility. A good question for Peter Jackson if anyone gets the chance to ask it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 9:35pm

Post #43 of 45 (6281 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Lasgalen transliterates to 'green leaf', I also wonder as to the connexion between that name and 'Legolas'.

The name Legolas consists of the words:

laeg, a very rare, archaic word for "green", normally replaced by calen/(galen).

golas, a collection of leaves, foliage (being a prefixed collective form of las "leaf")

So if Lasgalen is supposed to relate to Legolas' mother, maybe his name is supposed to be derived from hers? Reminding Thranduil of his wife?

Etymological information gleaned from Tolkien Gateway and The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien #121

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 9:37pm

Post #44 of 45 (6275 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

But given the etymology of Legolas' name in Letter #121, I wonder if 'Lasgalen' (Which has a similar meaning) is supposed to relate to his mother, in someway...

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2015, 9:40pm

Post #45 of 45 (6289 views)
Shortcut
Leaf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas as 'leaf from the green leaves'. Interesting notion. That could well be what Jackson & Co. were thinking.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.