First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 6:24pm

Post #26 of 39 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aragorn seemed to already know Haldir in the films, and as an agent of Lothlorien Galadriel might well send him to act as a liaison to Rivendell, to keep an eye on this guy grand-daughter Arwen keeps talking about, and in general keep an eye on things outside the Golden Wood, especially since in the book he is one of the few Galadhrim that can speak Westron.

The role of Lorien-elves like Haldir seems to have been more "go find things out and report back" then acting as official representatives of the realm. Still, that doesn't preclude Haldir from befriending Aragorn and sharing an adventure with him.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 6:54pm

Post #27 of 39 (991 views)
Shortcut
In the movie universe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bain is not nearly 70 years old, right? Bain is what, 16 or something in The Hobbit movies? And The Lord of the Rings movie is around 40 years later, so Bain would be 56 or something. Around Theoden's age I think?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 7:55pm

Post #28 of 39 (995 views)
Shortcut
If Bain was 16 when Smaug attacked Lake-town. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Battle of Dale would have happened at least 62 years after the Quest of Erebor in the movie-verse. So a 16 year-old Bain would be at least 78 years old at that time. However, I don't think that Bain was supposed to be older than 13. I could be wrong about that.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 6 2015, 7:56pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 9:13pm

Post #29 of 39 (962 views)
Shortcut
Never mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...still prefer a very old Bain over a younger Brand. We as viewers already know Bain, but not Brand.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Jan 6 2015, 9:15pm)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jan 6 2015, 9:55pm

Post #30 of 39 (964 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily the minority [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, threads like this, speculating tirelessly on possible M-e films that might be made, are not of great interest to people who aren't keen on seeing any more such films, whether made by PJ or not. I don't think there will be any more M-e films, at least for years to come. I probably wouldn't go to see a film based on a few events referred to briefly in the appendices and then expanded into new plots without the benefit of Tolkien's storytelling and characters. So I glance at these threads occasionally but don't typically contribute to them. Who knows how many others do the same? Such threads are not only very common on the boards, but the people who comment on them are self-selected as being in favor of more films. Naturally they seem to be in the majority. But who knows, really?

Kristin

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 7 2015, 3:21am

Post #31 of 39 (942 views)
Shortcut
Have to agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

about Orlando Bloom being too old for the part, especially as I just watched FOTR right after BOFA. I kept trying to tell myself he must have lost a lot of weight tramping about in the wild with Aragorn.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2015, 1:37pm

Post #32 of 39 (926 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Such threads are not only very common on the boards, but the people who comment on them are self-selected as being in favor of more films. Naturally they seem to be in the majority. But who knows, really?

Truth to tell, I myself am ambivalent over the idea of new Middle-earth films spun off from fragments from the Appendices or other events casually mentioned in the books (not to mention wholly original tales). At the same time, I find the prospect intriguing and wonder what could actually work. I certainly do have some strong opinions about the latter.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2015, 9:21pm

Post #33 of 39 (916 views)
Shortcut
Thorongil: The Movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see that, but I don't see them keeping his Gondorian alias...Tongue

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2015, 9:29pm

Post #34 of 39 (913 views)
Shortcut
Thorongil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I could see that, but I don't see them keeping his Gondorian alias...Tongue

Not in the title at least. Aragorn apparently used several aliases during his travels, but it might be wise to stick to only the one (plus Estel).

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2015, 2:02pm

Post #35 of 39 (957 views)
Shortcut
You mean pretty much like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

A screenplay for a Hobbit-LotR bridge film

In Reply To
I wouldn't want to see a movie focused on Legolas' search for Strider. However, following Aragorn's early life could make for a decent film. It would start with the birth of Aragorn to Arathorn and Gilraen, cover Arathorn's death and the fostering of Aragorn by Elrond in Rivendell. 'Estel' grows up learning from Elrond, his sons and other Elf-lords of Rivendell. At twenty, he learns of his true name and legacy and meets Arwen for the first time. He meets and befriends Gandalf the Grey before beginning his period of journeys and errantries. The highlights are during his service to Rohan and Gondor. Aragorn must contend with the young and suspicious Denethor and the action climax would be the raid on the Corsair fleet in Umbar. Finally, we see Aragorn and Arwen reunite in Lothlorien.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 8 2015, 2:09pm

Post #36 of 39 (932 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, pretty much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not going to take the time to read over the whole thing, but that is pretty much what I had in mind (although keeping more (perhaps) with Peter Jackson's movie continuity. Aragorn would have been born around TA 2915 and would be a young adult of probably 25 years old by the time that Thorin & Co. visit Rivendell. Other adjustments would have to be made to accomodate the chronology presented in the films.

Wainrider
Rivendell

Jan 26 2015, 4:08am

Post #37 of 39 (859 views)
Shortcut
Second Age movie [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several middle earth movies that could be made. Of course the one that should be made is the Silmarillion, about early middle earth, but the rights aren't available (yet).

Angmar would be good, but I would rather see one about the second age. You could have the elves fighting sauron, the fall of Moria to the balrog, the Numenoreans capturing Sauron, invading Valinor and then the fall of numenor and their founding of kingdoms in middle earth.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 2:49pm

Post #38 of 39 (853 views)
Shortcut
It would need to be more focused. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are several middle earth movies that could be made. Of course the one that should be made is the Silmarillion, about early middle earth, but the rights aren't available (yet).

Angmar would be good, but I would rather see one about the second age. You could have the elves fighting sauron, the fall of Moria to the balrog, the Numenoreans capturing Sauron, invading Valinor and then the fall of numenor and their founding of kingdoms in middle earth.

What you propose is too scattered. You would be better off to consider two or more films, each whith more focus. The Rise and Fall of Numenor would be a story all by itself. Some of those same events would have to be touched on in a film about the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, including the establishment of the Numenorean Kingdoms in Middle-earth, but they still stand alone as separate parts of a larger story. Also, there was no fall of Moria to the Balrog in either the First or Second Age. The Balrog secreted itself beneath the Misty Mountains without being discovered by the Dwarves of Moria until TA 1980.

I'm not sure that a Second Age movie would find a large enough audience to be a commercial success. But more to the point, I question that there is enough material in the LotR Appendices to make such a film viable at all. I am convinced that you would also need the additional (and far greater amount of) background material found in The Silmarillion.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 2:15pm

Post #39 of 39 (866 views)
Shortcut
my own idea =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Born of Hope. He was, anyways!

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.