The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Wich color have the Silmarils?

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 7:32pm

Post #1 of 7 (930 views)
Shortcut
Wich color have the Silmarils? Can't Post

Wich color have the Silmarils? what i know they have different colors One green one blue and one red what i think the red its that Maedhros cast herself in fire with and the blue it wich Maglor reclaim and cast in the sea and the Green its who Elwing and Erändil Stole. I know all 3 shines and glitters. So my quest is wich color have the Silmarils

squire
Half-elven

Jan 6 2015, 8:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (837 views)
Shortcut
They were all the same - a blend of gold and silver light. No colors as such. [In reply to] Can't Post

They captured the lights of the Two Trees, which predated but were similar to sunlight and moonlight.

Check your sources as to why you've been led to believe they had chromatic colors like red, blue and green. I don't think there's any writing by JRR Tolkien that supports that idea.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 7 (838 views)
Shortcut
It depends on the light source (or lack thereof) [In reply to] Can't Post

Therefore even in the darkness of the deepest treasury the Silmarils of their own radiance shone like the stars of Varda; and yet, as were they indeed living things, they rejoiced in light and received it and gave it back in hues more marvellous than before

So in daylight and "out and about", the gems must have been very vividly colored.

I imagine it possible to envision the 3 Simarils to have three different colors in their final resting place:

And thus it came to pass that the Silmarils found their long homes: one in the airs of heaven, and one in the fires of the heart of the world, and one in the deep waters

That would certainly make Maedhros' stone red in the end. We could then be romantic and say that the one in the heavens was blue like the sky and the one in the sea was ?green?, though blue seems better for that one too. But really, the one in heaven would be shining with its own light in the nighttime sky, while the one in the sea probably the same in the dark, dark sea.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 7 2015, 3:56am

Post #4 of 7 (836 views)
Shortcut
Silmarilli color [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmaril she bound on him and crowned him with the living light, . . -From Bilbo’s song at Rivendell.

This would seem to mean that they glowed of their own light from within. Their light in origin came from the light of the Two Trees (golden & silver) and would of their own appear golden/silver in color. But I see no reason they would not reflect the light of other lights and appear occasionally to be of various colors depending on the light source as Notta suggests.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 7 2015, 7:01am

Post #5 of 7 (822 views)
Shortcut
Yes 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Why I figured that was enough for the first thing I saw several pictures and I do not like to think of three shiny gems I demand enough to think a red glowing green brilliant and a blue shining gem. I guess it can be as Maedhros went red in the light of the flames and Maglors turned blue in the light of the water waves and in light of the sky and whales and the trees became the simaril Eärendil stole green.

Ostadan
Rivendell

Jan 10 2015, 4:23am

Post #6 of 7 (781 views)
Shortcut
Eärendil's Silmaril [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no particular reason to assign a particular colour to each silmaril. Eärendil's silmaril, the light of which is captured in Galadriel's waters, and which we see as the evening and morning star, quite evidently casts light of a pure white.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2015, 2:27pm

Post #7 of 7 (798 views)
Shortcut
Quite right... [In reply to] Can't Post

and like the "fire" of diamonds, they probably refracted back all colours of the spectrum, despite being "white" themselves.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.