A movie about a young Aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 6:34pm

Post #1 of 39 (2074 views)
Shortcut
A movie about a young Aragorn Can't Post

Let's say if they were planning a movie about Strider, then I hope they'll get Lee Pace, Orlando Bloom, and even Liv Tyler as the elves. Ian Mckellen can also return. Even Radagast could have a expanded role. I'm not sure about Christopher Lee considering his health is deteriating unfortunately.

Many recognized faces that would defintely get attention. I'm not sure how they can make Viggo Mortensen as a young strider again. They probably have to recast him.

Faleel
Rohan

Jan 5 2015, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 39 (1605 views)
Shortcut
I would [In reply to] Can't Post

I would call it The Lone [Dunedain?] Ranger, Legolas could call him "Quel-Dolen-Mellon" all the time.

Name
Rohan

Jan 5 2015, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 39 (1524 views)
Shortcut
I completely disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

If there is to be more ME, I don't want PJ directing. Producing, maybe. Nothing against him, but a new face at the front of another ME project would be good.

Because of this, and from watching TH, I don't want any more tie ins. If they're going to make another movie(s), get a new cast and don't shove old characters down our throats (absolutely no need for Legolas to appear any more).

And a young Aragorn movie is not my first choice. It would be almost completely made up, because Tolkien only briefly describes a few events he's involved in, and they're each spread out over his life.

I'd rather have a rise/fall of Angmar movie (s). Break away from same old same old ME and have some new stuff to show on the big screen. The Rangers and their fight against the Witch Kings forces has more potential, imo, if done right.

You could also do the war in the north, but agian, I'd want a recasting and new designs for Dale, Lonely Mountain, etc.

Just my two cents
Wink

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Jan 5 2015, 7:47pm)

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 39 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be epic to see on screen. One problem with it is that war rages over couple hundred years. When I think about it, the dunedains at that time could live nearly three hundred years old, so it wouldn't be difficult to fix the time gap issue. But yeah, I hope we'll get to see something like this on the screen soon. Or perhaps War of the North also?

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 5 2015, 9:46pm

Post #5 of 39 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Yep! Angmar would be much more interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the only spin off that would make sense since it's story was all over the place in both trilogies.

Cameos of Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast are possible... even Thranduil makes sense (in movie canon) after we learned that his people was fighting Angmar. We could actually see Legolas' mother dying. See more of Gundabad and the northern parts of the Misty Mountains.

We could see the destruction of Amon Sûl (Weathertop). We would enter new places like the northern regions of Eriador. See the Kingdom of Arnor. See Carn Dûm, the epic battle of Fornost... yes even Glorfindel.

I don't need an Aragorn adventure story. But Angmar... Angmar is interesting and I believe talking of rights and licences it would be possible for Warner/Wingnut Films to make a movie out of this material... They even made a game out of it. So it is POSSIBLE and more likely than a series or films about the Silmarillion.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 7:19am

Post #6 of 39 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Well, that is spooky ... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would call it The Lone [Dunedain?] Ranger, Legolas could call him "Quel-Dolen-Mellon" all the time.

The ad at the bottom of this page is for The Lone Ranger.

Is Eru trying to tell us something? Wink

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 6 2015, 9:44am

Post #7 of 39 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Hahahahahaha! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 9:49am

Post #8 of 39 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

The WK is already a iconic villains. I'm sure people would recognize him again if this movie were made. I think the rise of Angmar could rival the depths and epicness Lord of the Rings had. Something the current Hobbit trilogy couldn't lived up to.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 11:30am

Post #9 of 39 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to butt in, I vehemently disagree. The 'depth' within The Hobbit films, particularly film 3 (and even film 1), exceeded that in LotR for me, mainly because of the brilliant performances of Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman, and moments provided by others, such as Ken Stott and Luke Evans. Nothing in the LotR films moved me as much as the performances of these actors. As for the 'epicness', well, I would not call The Hobbit book an epic (unlike the LotR book trilogy), so The Hobbit films had nothing to 'live up to' in this respect.

In Reply To
the rise of Angmar could rival the depths and epicness Lord of the Rings had. Something the current Hobbit trilogy couldn't lived up to.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 1:24pm

Post #10 of 39 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Hm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if that is your subject opinion, then I respect that. But I'm afraid you're in a minority in this one. Anyway, what do you think about an adaptation of Rise of The Witch King film?

dave_lf
Gondor

Jan 6 2015, 1:32pm

Post #11 of 39 (1218 views)
Shortcut
That's not Eru [In reply to] Can't Post

It's contextual advertising.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Jan 6 2015, 1:32pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 2:13pm

Post #12 of 39 (1204 views)
Shortcut
The Rise of Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The WK is already a iconic villains. I'm sure people would recognize him again if this movie were made. I think the rise of Angmar could rival the depths and epicness Lord of the Rings had. Something the current Hobbit trilogy couldn't lived up to.

I don't know. If the movie(s) would have to follow Jackson's film-continuity, I don't think that I'd be interested. Peter Jackson mucked up the histories of Angmar and Arnor so much that I think I would find it distracting. The other issue is that we would need to be introduced to a slew of new characters; the only ones that we have already gotten to know on film being the Witch-king and the other Nazgul (and Elrond, if he were added).

Of course, if there was a movie about the rise of Angmar, it would have to be followed by another about the kingdom's fall. Another potential problem is that the film-timeline moves the fall of Angmar forward by about five and a half centuries to approximately 2540 (four hundred years before the events of The Hobbit). Arvedui, last king of Arthedain, would have to be eliminated from the story, and the Dunedain chieftain Aragost substituted instead. I suppose that the fall of Arthedain could be attributed to the rise of Angmar instead of later. As I said, Jackson created many headaches for Middle-earth scholars.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 2:17pm

Post #13 of 39 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Do not assume that [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many people who agree with me – so in fact you may be in a minority here. In any case, your subjective opinion is yours, and mine is mine, so let's just leave it at that, shall we?

With regard to the adaptation you suggest, yes, it could be a good one, but I'm not sure how it could be done and whether there is enough reference material to make it succeed. I do, however, think it would make a better story than a 'Legolas: The Search for Strider' effort. Bloom is really too old to be playing a younger Legolas, as was evident (to me) in The Hobbit films; Mortensen is certainly too old to be playing Strider (he's nearly 60), yet I couldn't picture anyone else playing his part; I don't know whether Sir Ian would be able to participate in another trilogy, and again I couldn't imagine anyone else in his part. If producing another ME film, I think it should be 'fresh' and divorced from the LotR and Hobbit films. I also don't think another director could succeed with a ME project, since both of these trilogies (whatever you may think of them) are unique and specific to PJ, with all that entails.

In Reply To
Well, if that is your subject opinion, then I respect that. But I'm afraid you're in a minority in this one. Anyway, what do you think about an adaptation of Rise of The Witch King film?

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 2:33pm

Post #14 of 39 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Oh - recasting a younger Aragorn is easy [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart Townsend* of course :)

Notta

* For those who don't know, Stuart was originally cast as Aragorn but was cast aside for Viggo's older version....

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 2:42pm

Post #15 of 39 (1211 views)
Shortcut
The Journeys and Errantries of Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't want to see a movie focused on Legolas' search for Strider. However, following Aragorn's early life could make for a decent film. It would start with the birth of Aragorn to Arathorn and Gilraen, cover Arathorn's death and the fostering of Aragorn by Elrond in Rivendell. 'Estel' grows up learning from Elrond, his sons and other Elf-lords of Rivendell. At twenty, he learns of his true name and legacy and meets Arwen for the first time. He meets and befriends Gandalf the Grey before beginning his period of journeys and errantries. The highlights are during his service to Rohan and Gondor. Aragorn must contend with the young and suspicious Denethor and the action climax would be the raid on the Corsair fleet in Umbar. Finally, we see Aragorn and Arwen reunite in Lothlorien.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 6 2015, 2:59pm

Post #16 of 39 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Now he's too old.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 4:04pm

Post #17 of 39 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to get into a feud of what trilogy is the best, but the negative comments from both viewers, commentaries and fans can't be ignored. Also the ratings aren't as good as the original trilogy. You may know many people, but does them outweight the critics against the trilogy? Now we can leave this behind.

I think making a movie about Strider may be easier than the rise of Angmar. But I would like to have both on screen as soon as possible Smile

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Jan 6 2015, 4:07pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 5:06pm

Post #18 of 39 (1180 views)
Shortcut
What about this? [In reply to] Can't Post

A ''War in the North'' movie, including;

The Mouth seeking alliance with the dwarves of Erebor.

Dwalin could visit Thorin's grave and see Orcrist glowing upon the stone, and so be able to warn his fellow dwarves there are orcs coming.

Maybe dwarven refugees coming to Erebor (because the Iron Hills are lost)?

The siege of Erebor with Bain (instead of Brand) fighting (and dying) side by side with Dain.

The battle under the trees with Thranduil and maybe Tauriel present. And maybe Legolas in the beginning of the movie and then we get to see Gollum escaping?

The attacks on Lothlorien with Khamul vs. Galadriel.

The Beornings and Radagast aiding somewhere? Maybe including the eagles and at the end Radagast asking Gwaihir to aid Gandalf?

But the losses should be great on the side of the Free People. Sauron (and his plan) should not be depicted as utter failure.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 5:16pm

Post #19 of 39 (1159 views)
Shortcut
I like your idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Great stuff you mention here! But what about that other side story? From the game War in the North with Agandaur and co. Could that work with the siege of Erebor?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 5:20pm

Post #20 of 39 (1185 views)
Shortcut
"Young Swords" [In reply to] Can't Post

The adventures of Aragorn, Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir, Haldir, and Figwit.

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 6 2015, 5:22pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 5:25pm

Post #21 of 39 (1151 views)
Shortcut
TBH [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm not really familiair with that story. Could you give me a brief summary of it?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 6 2015, 5:35pm

Post #22 of 39 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Agandaur [In reply to] Can't Post

Agandaur is a black numenorean lieutenant for Sauron. He tries to rebuild the ancient fortress Carn Dum, and recruits orcs from Gundabad to his service.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Aganda%C3%BBr

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 5:42pm

Post #23 of 39 (1154 views)
Shortcut
The War in the North? [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea has merit, but I don't see much point in replacing Brand with a 70-something year-old Bain ('though Bain could still be alive). The Beornings would probably have their own problems, although they could send a contingent to help in Dale. Radagast's disappearance is supposed to be an unsolved mystery of Middle-earth, but it could be ignored to include him here. The story would be a good way of accounting for Tauriel's activities during the WR.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 5:48pm

Post #24 of 39 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Figwit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The adventures of Aragorn, Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir, Haldir, and Figwit.

I can definitely see Aragorn hunting Orcs beside the sons of Elrond; that would be part of my proposed movie too, but only a small part of it. I admit, though, I have a hard time imagining Figwit/Lindir going adventuring. And Haldir, being an agent of Lorien, would probably only appear briefly. However, imagine young Aragorn taking lessons from Glorfindel.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 6 2015, 5:55pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 6 2015, 6:02pm

Post #25 of 39 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Nerdy Geek. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn seemed to already know Haldir in the films, and as an agent of Lothlorien Galadriel might well send him to act as a liaison to Rivendell, to keep an eye on this guy grand-daughter Arwen keeps talking about, and in general keep an eye on things outside the Golden Wood, especially since in the book he is one of the few Galadhrim that can speak Westron.

As for Figwit, he can be the geeky nerd, to remember ancient texts and legends and such. Every group of young adventuring males needs one.

And if they need a female member there's always Tauriel.

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 6 2015, 6:03pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.