Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 3:03am

Post #101 of 303 (1030 views)
Shortcut
     Or, how about [In reply to]  

"Only the ones who annoy me"? (this arrogance is brilliant) I love the making of so much, and I think I've mentioned that before, but the BTS videos are so precious.

Something to ogle and drool over:

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 3:03am

Post #102 of 303 (1030 views)
Shortcut
     Wha... only 99 replies? So this is the new slow on TA now? [In reply to]  

Shocked Well, at least I'm not living another glitch in the matrix this time (almost).Laugh

How's everyone?

ETA: Oops! Make that 100 replies - thanks to OTP's latest. So we're not quite out of the frenzy phase yet eh?Heart

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI | XXXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jan 5 2015, 3:05am)

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 3:10am

Post #103 of 303 (1024 views)
Shortcut
     Agree 100% [In reply to]  

His arrogance and badass sass are so befitting an elven king of his stature and age. I wish PJ had put in all his scenes that were shot, at least in the EE. How could he have been so short sighted?

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 3:15am

Post #104 of 303 (1021 views)
Shortcut
     I like that one too [In reply to]  

As I said, all of what he says. :)

I think it took me about the three spins of his scens and I knew his lines. LOL #NerdAlert Laugh

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 3:21am

Post #105 of 303 (1021 views)
Shortcut
     Tea-sipping? That spoils my headcanon, modmother dearest [In reply to]  

Isn't coffee the preferred cuppa stateside?Smile

(As a Thranduil Thrall, this should be a barista's dream of a frothy cup of Thranduil art, but my google skills fail meUnsure I hope this is still good enough though Angelic)

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI | XXXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 3:24am

Post #106 of 303 (1017 views)
Shortcut
     Perfect Lurker [In reply to]  

I would love a cup. Thank you, most kindly.

Please call me, Cassie.

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 3:31am

Post #107 of 303 (1013 views)
Shortcut
     also Thralls need to rest [In reply to]  

Sometimes. Wink

Talking and drooling over the king; this Thrall is a happy camper, erm Thrall. Evil

I'm glad to be of service. *bows'

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 3:32am

Post #108 of 303 (1012 views)
Shortcut
     Why do you linger in the shadows? [In reply to]  

I loved that line so much I made a photoset to go with it:Laugh

[wherein you see Bilbo's gobsmacked face upon first laying eyes on His Magnificence]

LP's voice was so melodious on this line. Well, not only on this line -- like OTPE said, we'd have to include all his lines. Yup, better not get started on this again...Wink

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 5 2015, 3:34am)

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 3:35am

Post #109 of 303 (1011 views)
Shortcut
     Hence why only Lee Pee is Thranduil [In reply to]  

His arrogance and badass sass are so befitting an elven king of his stature and age.

Again: Lee masters this role like a boss!

I think whoever meets PJ needs to ask him precisely THAT question: why shoot quite some scenes, cut many off and make him more or less a minor character in the end (when he is the best).

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 3:48am

Post #110 of 303 (999 views)
Shortcut
     I wonder,, [In reply to]  

how different all 6 of the movies would be, had Lee Pace been cast as Legolas at the beginning with the fellowship

Please call me, Cassie.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 3:53am

Post #111 of 303 (1003 views)
Shortcut
     Why PJ whyyyyy? [In reply to]  

I think whoever meets PJ needs to ask him precisely THAT question: why shoot quite some scenes, cut many off and make him more or less a minor character in the end (when he is the best).

I don't think we'll ever know. And while I've made my peace with the shortcomings of BotFA, because I don't want to actively dislike the last Middle-earth movie, I have to say that I have lost much faith in PJ's directorial choices. And while he did a brilliant job of casting for both trilogies, I don't think he truly realized what a fantastic actor he got in Lee. If you read/watch the interviews with PJ and Philippa Boyens, you'll hear them talk about Lee's "style" or his ability to wear those fabulous robes, his preternatural calm and regal iciness as the Elven King, while still ultimately being a sympathetic character, etc., but I have yet to hear either of them talk about his acting: how, with so little screentime and in just the space of a few scenes, LP manages to convey so much emotion and backstory purely from his facial expressions, voice, and body language alone.

I often wonder if people (including directors) are so dazzled by his looks that they forget what a seriously brilliant actor he is.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 3:55am

Post #112 of 303 (1014 views)
Shortcut
     Stats: Because TAXXXI and TAXXXII have been such trend breakers [In reply to]  

The stats after each of these got locked was drastically changed. I wanted to do a compare to the stats as at the end of TAXXXShocked but somehow this time, the screencaps are being difficult Crazy I can't get them down to size without blurring, so please check them out on my photobucket

Stats post TAXXXI
Stats post TAXXXII

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 3:56am

Post #113 of 303 (1001 views)
Shortcut
     Love the way Thranduil let the word "linger" linger [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 3:57am

Post #114 of 303 (999 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* [In reply to]  

That's ... just... *THUD*

Just bundle up all his soundbits please. i'm taking them all.Angelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 4:01am

Post #115 of 303 (998 views)
Shortcut
     Been looking at this... [In reply to]  

is the full photo a PS? Seems his shoulders aren't as broad as they should be?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 4:02am

Post #116 of 303 (996 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* SunnyD! Where the HTR alert?? [In reply to]  

*THUD*

*saves pics while prone on ground*

=======

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 4:03am

Post #117 of 303 (996 views)
Shortcut
     Is that a smile [In reply to]  

I see tugging at the king's lips? Smile

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 4:03am

Post #118 of 303 (993 views)
Shortcut
     The difference [In reply to]  

how different all 6 of the movies would be, had Lee Pace been cast as Legolas at the beginning with the fellowship

Then Legolas would have been the star of all six movies. Seriously, have you noticed how Lee -- no matter how small a role he has -- manages to STEAL. EVERY. SINGLE scene he's in? I'm not even talking about movies like Ceremony or Twilight, where he is clearly head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above everyone else in the cast, but in a star-studded movie like Lincoln, he managed to hold the attention and shine in all his scenes, even when playing against the redoubtable Tommy Lee Jones and all the other veterans in that cast!

That's how I became a fan of his 10 years ago, when I first saw him in an Off-Broadway play: he was the youngest member of the cast, yet his stage presence was such that he captured your attention from the word go, and in spite of his youth he gave what I thought was by far the most nuanced and outstanding performance in that play.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 4:04am

Post #119 of 303 (989 views)
Shortcut
     *bows* [In reply to]  

Thank you for the response Smile

Elves do seem consumed with regret - probably just thinking about the good life and what they're missing. If only Melkor hadn't got it in for themFrown Doesn't help to have upstart Atani with their newfangled "gift" even the Valar keep shifting attention away from.

=======

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 4:06am

Post #120 of 303 (992 views)
Shortcut
     Those lips oh my [In reply to]  

Yes, I see it too.

Please call me, Cassie.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 4:09am

Post #121 of 303 (992 views)
Shortcut
     Lucky lady [In reply to]  

I would love to see him on Broadway and hear his haunting voice.

Please call me, Cassie.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 4:13am

Post #122 of 303 (989 views)
Shortcut
     Looking carefully [In reply to]  

Not sure, could be the cut of the shirt, or he may not be standing straight.

Please call me, Cassie.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 4:16am

Post #123 of 303 (1017 views)
Shortcut
     tbh, I don't get the emphasis on Thranduil's policy. Elven Isolationism... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Thranduil is often called a isolationist. ( I think he is smart to be one) However it is frequently used as a negative trait in describing him. But aren't Elrond and Celeborn isolationists as well? Elrond had the fellowship of the ring, even Legolas, blindfolded when they entered his realm. What exactly does Celeborn do? Where is he during the Battle of the Five Armies? Where are Elrond's sons?
Does anyone know the time span between Smag's attack on Laketown and the duration of the battle? It seems to me that there could have been more support from their realms even though Galadriel and Elrond themselves were busy at Dol Guldur.
Where was Haldir? After all he was still alive at the time. Is he not a marchwarden and a Silvan elf?
Best have a glass or two of wine to help the pondering.

Oh.... we did have a discussion in one of the older threads, starting here.

Celeborn... the trophy husband of trophy husbandsLaugh but well, there was a discussion too... here you go.

I think Elrond's boys in movie-verse are non-existent, just like the mothers and wives of TH canon characters do not existFrown

Smaug's attack... off the top of my head, should be about 200 years-ish or a bit less from the events of TH if we go by book-verse.

DG - well, it was just a bye-the-bye mention by Gandalf as he filled Bilbo on happenings post-Battle, iirc so there is not much actual sordid details in existenceLaugh.

As for Haldir... sorry, but my view of him is a two-bit little border guard who got the fortunate promotion by PJ in LotR... I don't understand why a Lothlorien border man would be leading an Elven troop on Elrond's behalf to Helm's Deep. The twins could have made a more convincing case, imo.

Sorry for the quick notes. Will try to circle back later today, if memory doesn't fail meEvil

=======

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 4:17am

Post #124 of 303 (983 views)
Shortcut
     Shoulders and wingspan [In reply to]  

is the full photo a PS? Seems his shoulders aren't as broad as they should be?

I don't think there's anything wrong with that photo -- it's just not taken full on from the back, and his posture is such that he's kind of leaning a little bit to the side. As you can see from the image below, taken from the first episode of H&CF, his shoulders and wingspan are plenty wide:

Hmmm, those shoulders paired with the slim waist and hips -- OOF, I just managed to THUD myself... Crazy Sorry to have forgotten about such a minor thing as an HTR alert. Cool

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 5 2015, 4:23am)

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 4:22am

Post #125 of 303 (981 views)
Shortcut
     It's a pity [In reply to]  

They made so little of what they could've done. And I fully understand you don't want to dislike the last movie. I'm no pro, but I think it's obvious there have been made some big mistakes. With more than one character I must say. And it's sad, cause they clearly had the potential to make it REALLY EPIC. In the end some things seem just rushed, while others have been dragged to an unnecesarry length.

Makes it sounds like all it was about is the looks, not even how he would present the role acting wise? And even looking at it that way they could've done more. Yes, they say a lot and made fancy drawings and stuff, but they didn't deliver that in the movie. Unsure

I often wonder if people (including directors) are so dazzled by his looks that they forget what a seriously brilliant actor he is.

This might actually be the case, but not the only one I think, many things are too often about looks and talent gets pushed into the background.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.