Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 10:38pm

Post #76 of 303 (540 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks V, Will do [In reply to]  

Is it alright that I call you V? You never answered in the previous thread if it was alrightSmile!

But where do I send the pic to? It would be Thrandfully grateful.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 10:43pm

Post #77 of 303 (546 views)
Shortcut
     Have you noticed... [In reply to]  

how Lee Pace's voice goes all soft, sexy, smoldering, seductive when he gets to the end of some of his lines? For example when he says the line, "and the lake shall shine and burn" When he gets to burn, I am in full thud. I would love for him to do an audio book. Heck, the man could read the dictionary, and it would be sexy.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 11:10pm

Post #78 of 303 (527 views)
Shortcut
     Ahhhh, don't get me started [In reply to]  

...on what an incredible voice actor he is. It's not just the timbre and resonance of the voice, but also the way he wields it so skillfully -- like a maestro with his musical instrument. And his line readings are always so interesting and so unusual -- with a kind of syncopated beat -- and yet always so apt and so effective.

In the line you quoted, "and the lake shall shine and burn" -- the last two words have such a haunting, almost hollow, feel to them, as though he can see the horror of the prophecy coming true right before his eyes. And note the way he snaps out the last two words of his line to Gandalf in the tent, "You will forgive me, Mithrandir, if I finish it" -- almost as though "finish it" were one word, which is completely apt if you think about it: Thranduil is tired of this stuff and wants it to be over quickly.

And there are examples galore throughout Pushing Daisies: in the very first episode, when Chuck goes to wake him up to ask about the reward for solving the mystery of her death, note how his voice sounds so sleepy when he answers Chuck, with just a hint of saliva drooling out of the corner of his mouth as he struggles to wake up -- simply brilliant acting.

And OMG the way he tells the story to Alexandria in The Fall: the musicality of his narration is so so beautiful, with just the right amount of rise and fall in pitch to make sure it's never monotonous and always natural-sounding. Sometimes I start playing The Fall on my laptop just before bed, and go to sleep to the sound of his voice.

Yeah, I would love it if he did some audio books!!

I could go on, but I need to go make dinner now. Laugh

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 9 2015, 3:47am)

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 11:24pm

Post #79 of 303 (513 views)
Shortcut
     Sing me to Sleep! [In reply to]  

Yes when listening to him in some of his interviews; I'm just swooning over his voice. He can read me a bedtime story anytime. He can sing rock a bye baby and I'll fall asleep after THUDDING a few times on the floor.HeartHeartHeartHeartEvil

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 11:36pm

Post #80 of 303 (511 views)
Shortcut
     How about if he sang this with you [In reply to]  

It is from Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day. He was such a sweetheart in that movie.

http://youtu.be/x4bNS5e6fEM?t=1s

Please call me, Cassie.

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 11:46pm

Post #81 of 303 (500 views)
Shortcut
     ****SQUEE**** [In reply to]  

He can sing that to me anytime.

I'm on the floor with my box of tissues.Evil

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 11:57pm

Post #82 of 303 (494 views)
Shortcut
     I'll join you [In reply to]  

His costar in the movie said she could not concentrate on her lines when he was on the set watching her. The director had to make him leave.
Is there anything this man can not do? He is sooooo talented.

Please call me, Cassie.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 12:00am

Post #83 of 303 (491 views)
Shortcut
     Lovely fanvid!! [In reply to]  

Thanks for bringing that back, Cassie -- it's one of my favorite fanvids, so skillfully put together, intercutting from the song to the key moments between Michael and Delyssia and back to the song again. At about the 1:00 mark is another example of what I mean by his incredible voice acting: you can almost hear the tears in his eyes as his voice breaks just a little, saying "So we'll be the best in New York." And a few seconds later, the disappointment in the whispered, "Or not."

Even if Lee didn't look the way he does, his voice alone would have me THUDDDDDDing and clutching my thud cushions for comfort. HeartHeartHeart

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 12:02am

Post #84 of 303 (490 views)
Shortcut
     Oh My! [In reply to]  

I wouldn't be able to concentrate either if he sang or speak to me like that. Just about everytime he spoke in the video I was listening for this Thranduil voice. Whoever is dating him is one lucky girl. Dang! I'm in the wrong business. LOL!

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 12:08am

Post #85 of 303 (491 views)
Shortcut
     Heck [In reply to]  

I could not place a coherent order at Starbucks if he walked in.

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 12:28am

Post #86 of 303 (476 views)
Shortcut
     I would be speechless! [In reply to]  

Yes I would be THUDDING right there but I have to make sure I have an carry along pillow. I might injury myself.

Going offline for couple of hours. Since it's been a little quiet. I'll check back in later.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 1:18am

Post #87 of 303 (467 views)
Shortcut
     re: his voice [In reply to]  

And note the way he snaps out the last two words of his line to Gandalf in the tent, "You will forgive me, Mithrandir, if I finish it" -- almost as though "finish it" were one word, which is completely apt if you think about it: Thranduil is tired of this stuff and wants it to be over quickly.

Don't get me started on this one, the way he says 'Mithrandir' as well. Also when they are outside the tent. Gives me chills! And yes, he is so done with everything and everyone, but who can blame him?!

And two DOS examples that always get me anew:

"
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." Also his face is priceless when he says the last word. Cool

and

"A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be."

Ok, basically I would have to put everything he says in here, because it's all mhhhhh... Evil

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 9 2015, 3:48am)

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 1:41am

Post #88 of 303 (464 views)
Shortcut
     *tiptoes in, looks around* [In reply to]  

*Leaves something*

(click for large image)

*ducks out again before the curses and thudding begin*

The above, by the way, is from one of my favorite edit-ers on Tumblr, larygo, who does amazing work.

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 5 2015, 1:53am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2015, 1:47am

Post #89 of 303 (465 views)
Shortcut
     So my internet goes out for half the day... [In reply to]  

...and when it comes back we're 87 posts into the new thread!Shocked We must be setting some kind of record!

And the appreciation rolls on...Smile

ETA: In response to Lurker's question under the screencap, I am quite impressed!SmileCool

P.S. Hey, this is thread 33! Our little TA threads have officially come of age! (from the viewpoint of the Hobbits anywayWink) They grow up so fast, don't they? *sniff* I...I'm so proud!Heart *wipes away a tear*Evil

Happy Hobbity New Year! :D

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 5 2015, 1:54am)

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 1:50am

Post #90 of 303 (456 views)
Shortcut
     I might never unthud [In reply to]  

He is magnificent. Sunny, you have out done yourself. The thud house is on fire!

Please call me, Cassie.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2015, 1:58am

Post #91 of 303 (460 views)
Shortcut
     Don't DO that! [In reply to]  

There I was, innocently following the "most recent post" arrow, completely unprepared......

*sits down in a corner to recover*

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-z‚ram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-n‚la, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dŻm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 5 2015, 1:59am)

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 2:01am

Post #92 of 303 (453 views)
Shortcut
     So you mean you don't really need [In reply to]  

to see more gifs like these now, right? Wink

*mwahahahahah* Cool

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 2:07am

Post #93 of 303 (450 views)
Shortcut
     Oopsies [In reply to]  

Sorry about that! I would have put an HTR warning on the "most recent post" arrow if I could! Wink

(And that image was already at reduced power -- the original is 50% bigger... Cool)

*slowly backs out of the room before I get in (more) trouble*

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 5 2015, 2:08am)

mangotree
The Shire

Jan 5 2015, 2:07am

Post #94 of 303 (444 views)
Shortcut
     Oh My, [In reply to]  

you are so so right in everything about his voice!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2015, 2:11am

Post #95 of 303 (448 views)
Shortcut
     Replies to TAXXXII [In reply to]  

@Lurker:

Point! Hurin is described as being short/slight for an Edain actually. But also precisely because of the difference in physicality, I would love to see LP in this just for the heck of it. However, like I said, this would be another "dad" role, and I'd want to see LP take on a role with a different dimensionSmile Like the charismatic Annatar... or really, Feanor... Fingolfin might be another interesting prospect. Bottomline: Whichever is the lead characterEvil

Agreed! We need LP to be the lead in an ME movie no matter what role he plays. Angelic

Re Hurinís description: Lol, I actually didnít consciously remember that Hurin was described as short/slight. Thatís so funny that my brain didnít remember the actual words of his description, but I still picture him the way heís described!Shocked

@Angharad73:

You should try NaNo some time, Eruvandi. It's a lot of fun!

Oooooh, I was soooo tempted to try doing it this past year, but I still had some college course to finish up when it came around and barely had time to sleep, much less write. Frown Iíll have graduated by the time NaNo happens this year though, so maybe, depending on what Iím doing by then, I can participate. I sort of doubt that Iíd get a whole novel written, but as long as I try, Iíll have made more progress than if I didnít try at all, right? Angelic

@Lurker:

Can you imagine those broad shoulders, long arms and long legs emerging out of the water in a butterfly stroke? THUDDDDDDDD

At this.......

I swear I was gonna say something... hmm... nope... it's gone. *Looks at description again* *THUD*

LP...in the water...doing the butterfly stroke...muscles...Shocked *THUD* Yep, I think my brain may take a while to recover from that one!

@Lurker:

Lee Pace's portrayal of the BIG BLUE BAD TEMPERED SMURF

*massive snert!*Sly

@Laineth:

ďSorry if anyone else posted this/read this. I found it on tumblr and thought it was spot on: http://thranduilings.tumblr.com/...in-the-battle-of-theĒ

Have to admit, I mostly skimmed over that massive wall of words, but the parts I read, I agreed with! Thanks for sharing!Smile

Happy Hobbity New Year! :D

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 2:16am

Post #96 of 303 (440 views)
Shortcut
     Heart attack in a burning house [In reply to]  

Mercy, mercy me.

http://youtu.be/aOl4oeHZnBk?t=1s
I am weeping at the sight of that sexy man

Please call me, Cassie.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2015, 2:20am

Post #97 of 303 (440 views)
Shortcut
     I think we could use one... [In reply to]  

Clearly I must be more cautious in future. I've known for years that the Elvenking was "less wise, more dangerous" than other elves, but it seems the second part is more true than ever. Laugh

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-z‚ram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-n‚la, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dŻm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 2:23am

Post #98 of 303 (428 views)
Shortcut
     ***SQUEE*** [In reply to]  

I'm glad I decided to get on floor. HeartHeartHeartHeart

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 2:31am

Post #99 of 303 (427 views)
Shortcut
     Another example from DoS is [In reply to]  

And two DOS examples that always get me anew:

"
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." Also his face is priceless when he says the last word. Cool

and

"A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be."

Ok, basically I would have to put everything he says in here, because it's all mhhhhh... Evil

Well, not in the actual movie or even EE, but I'll never forget the first time I watched the first DoS teaser trailer and heard that mellifluous voice whisper "Where does your journey end?" I literally SQUEED out loud. Good thing I was home alone, and already sitting on the couch. Cool

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 5 2015, 2:51am

Post #100 of 303 (408 views)
Shortcut
     To add another quote [In reply to]  

I know you're there. Why do you linger in the shadows?

Please call me, Cassie.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.