Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 2:58pm

Post #51 of 303 (954 views)
Shortcut
     truly a 'magnificent structure' [In reply to]  

Yeah, I've seen the pics you mentioned and they didn't look as big to me either. Maybe shoes make his feet look bigger then? Cool

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 3:10pm

Post #52 of 303 (950 views)
Shortcut
     The sun never sets... [In reply to]  

on Thranduil's Thralldom. I'm finally up but still a little hung over from that Summer Wine -- which is unbelievably potent, seeing as I haven't yet received the shipment from Adrianna . Wink Maybe you need to outsource some of that production/packaging/delivery work to Santa's Elves, now that their busy season is over... Laugh

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 3:23pm

Post #53 of 303 (944 views)
Shortcut
     On the way, Sunny! [In reply to]  

Actually before I laid down to sleep. I was actually able to get those sluggish subjects to finish up. I got the shipment off to you.

I'll send you a pic of beautiful wrapped package you'll receive.

It was quite a task. My Lord was not amused at all.

I'm going to have to figure something out to keep those two from getting into the wine supply.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 3:53pm

Post #54 of 303 (942 views)
Shortcut
     another fave [In reply to]  

Oooh...Lindir and Elrond. Heart

So many pretty elves. Is this paradise? Wink

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 4:34pm

Post #55 of 303 (933 views)
Shortcut
     Paradise? [In reply to]  

IMO this enchanting place outshines even Paradise. Just think about turning the corner and running in to the one and only...

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 4:52pm

Post #56 of 303 (924 views)
Shortcut
     Finally [In reply to]  

I see you managed to get Feren up and on his feet.

Please call me, Cassie.

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 5:19pm

Post #57 of 303 (922 views)
Shortcut
     Bumping into the king? [In reply to]  

Yes, please! Laugh Who wouldn't love that?! Also to see this smile live would surely be very nice, to say the least.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 5:23pm

Post #58 of 303 (922 views)
Shortcut
     glorious artwork - problematic site [In reply to]  

Thank you so much, I had never seen it before. I clicked on the source. So much great art work there.

That particular piece is by an artist named akonit-nord, who has done a lot of other gorgeous pieces on The Elven King. Her work (for convenience's sake I'm going to assume it's by a female artist) is posted on deviantart.com, and you can find her other Thranduil items on this page. In fact, here is the real source of that image, where you can see it in all the glorious detail that the artist put so much work into. Note that the artist's signature, or watermark, can be found in the lower left corner of the original image, whereas it has been cropped out of the one posted on vk.com. This is no accident. If you look more closely at the art work posted on the vk.com "Wall," you'll see that there is almost never any link to the original source of each piece nor credit given to the artists. In fact, they go out of their way to crop out any identifying information where possible.

Please understand I'm not saying anyone on this board has any reason to know about the problems with vk.com, but forgive me as I go on a little bit of a rant here about sites like this: the vk.com site is sort of a Russian equivalent of Facebook, and is notorious as a repository for artwork/images that have been "lifted" from the original sources and posted there without any attribution. In this respect it is really not that different from the original, U.S. version of Facebook. Or from similar sites such as pinterest, weheartit.com, etc.

Yes, it is a handy dandy way to see a lot of the kind of artwork one might be interested in all collected in the same place, and if the makers of these images posted them on the internet for all to see, they should expect their work to be circulated and recirculated ad infinitum, right? Well, maybe. It's not a question of legal copyright, but there are other issues arising from cutting off the endproduct from the original source. While I don't know akonit-nord, I would imagine that by posting her work on deviantart.com, where there is a community of posters and a place for comments and discussions, she enjoys the interaction and feedback from her viewers and perhaps the "stats" (views, favorites, downloads, etc.). By not crediting her, the posting on vk.com's Wall prevents an interested viewer from finding her deviantart.com page and interacting with her if they choose.

Speaking as someone who has not done original art work but has spent a lot of time mucking about in Photoshop making "edits" of stills and screencaps (especially of Thranduil and Lee Pace) for posting on tumblr, I can only say that I do it: a) primarily for my own enjoyment, b) also for the enjoyment of my Tumblr followers and anyone else who finds my edits through the "tags" on Tumblr, and c) for the comments, messages, interactions and even friendships that have resulted from people liking my posts. So it does annoy me when my edits are copied and pasted onto other sites (Facebook, pinterest, weheart.com, even the vk.com/brovki_lee site) without linking back to the source, and often then posted again on Tumblr as something that the re-poster made (instead of reblogging the original post), because it deprives me of the interaction with viewers that is the only external validation of my work. But even worse, what really burns me is that the repostings (not just on Tumblr but on the other sites as well) are almost always of such inferior quality. For an example of what I mean, see here for the original, and here for one of the many bastardized copies floating around. Or this (original), versus this, where you can clearly see my watermark because I finally decided to put it in a place where it can't be easily removed without gutting the image.

TL; DR: If you find an image on one of these sites (vk.com, Facebook, pinterest, weheartit.com) that you really like and want to share, please try to spend a few seconds by using google image to reverse search for the original (in the Chrome browser it's as easy as right clicking on the image and going to "Search Google"). It's not always possible to find the original, of course, but if you do, please link to that instead of the repost on one of these "aggregator" sites. And if the watermark on the image doesn't match the source where you found it, please don't use that source.

A special shoutout to *Lurker* and *mariel* for always linking to the original source! HeartHeartHeart

End of rant. Sorry for the long post. Now back to flailing over Our Liege. Cool

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 5:32pm

Post #59 of 303 (919 views)
Shortcut
     Today's pondering [In reply to]  

Thranduil is often called a isolationist. ( I think he is smart to be one) However it is frequently used as a negative trait in describing him. But aren't Elrond and Celeborn isolationists as well? Elrond had the fellowship of the ring, even Legolas, blindfolded when they entered his realm. What exactly does Celeborn do? Where is he during the Battle of the Five Armies? Where are Elrond's sons?
Does anyone know the time span between Smag's attack on Laketown and the duration of the battle? It seems to me that there could have been more support from their realms even though Galadriel and Elrond themselves were busy at Dol Guldur.
Where was Haldir? After all he was still alive at the time. Is he not a marchwarden and a Silvan elf?
Best have a glass or two of wine to help the pondering.

Please call me, Cassie.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 5:40pm

Post #60 of 303 (909 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you Sunny D [In reply to]  

It is good to become better educated in these matters. I enjoyed reading it from your perspective. I saw the Cyrillic and guessed it must be Russian but now thanks to you, I am much wiser.

Please call me, Cassie.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 5:46pm

Post #61 of 303 (906 views)
Shortcut
     Goodies have just arrived! [In reply to]  

Thank you so much, Adrianna, and Cassie as well for dreaming up these products. I'm now going to spend the rest of the day ensconced in the blanket fort I made with the Thud Cushions and snuggling under my Thranduil blanket, nibbling on the goodies and sipping Summer Wine. Wink

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 5:58pm

Post #62 of 303 (899 views)
Shortcut
     Yippee [In reply to]  

What a relief. Glad you can enjoy them and relax.

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 7:10pm

Post #63 of 303 (879 views)
Shortcut
     Glad you received your shipment, SunnyD [In reply to]  

Ok, Glad you received your shipment. I was getting ready to post an image of the beautiful box wrapping and wine wrap.

It has slowed down a bit. So I can take a breathier.

If any one would still like to place an order just let me know. The only payment that is required is showing me a pretty of our Elvenking or LP.

I'm glad to do business with all my Thralls. I am very Thrandfuly. Looking forward to coming up with new products. Evil

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 7:31pm

Post #64 of 303 (881 views)
Shortcut
     Look at what I find [In reply to]  

Ok Now get ready!

Our beloved king in animated form:

Our Beloved King in non animated form:

Nice upgrade isn't itSly!HeartHeart

The animated King is not all that bad.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 4 2015, 7:39pm

Post #65 of 303 (880 views)
Shortcut
     Lurker has an explanation for that [In reply to]  

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=738210#738210

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 9:40pm

Post #66 of 303 (839 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm, things are kinda quiet around here [In reply to]  

I wonder if I can stir things up a bit with these:

Imagine waking up to this... HeartHeartHeart

Also as a thank-you to Adrianna for sending out the rush order and packaging it so nicely! Wink

VValar
Gondor

Jan 4 2015, 9:50pm

Post #67 of 303 (832 views)
Shortcut
     Ah good to hear you and Cassie are on the Leggy team as well [In reply to]  

And hey you got a new avatar! Nice pic although it's a bit stretched (vertically) BlushTongue If you send the pic I can rezise it to right height/width if you like.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Jan 4 2015, 9:51pm

Post #68 of 303 (830 views)
Shortcut
     You shouldn't do that you know [In reply to]  

I'm getting ready for bed and this will stop me from catching any sleep soon Shocked

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 9:51pm

Post #69 of 303 (829 views)
Shortcut
     That did it [In reply to]  

I am very wide awake now. Wow.

Please call me, Cassie.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 9:59pm

Post #70 of 303 (829 views)
Shortcut
     Hee, or you could just imagine [In reply to]  

...going to sleep (or whatever Wink ) next to that.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 10:04pm

Post #71 of 303 (824 views)
Shortcut
     The whatever [In reply to]  

is very easy to imagine, the sleeping would be difficult.

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 10:21pm

Post #72 of 303 (814 views)
Shortcut
     Your welcome, Enjoy the downtime [In reply to]  

Yeah, it is. A little eerie.

Actually I'm enjoying the downtime because once all the Thralls come back it going to be crazy. I've been in the forum for about a week and its been ridiculously fun. We probably will be on Thread #34 by sometime tomorrow.

It'll go lightning fast.

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 10:21pm

Post #73 of 303 (813 views)
Shortcut
     Would this help [In reply to]  

...a glass of Summer Wine, perhaps? Wink

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 4 2015, 10:24pm

Post #74 of 303 (810 views)
Shortcut
     Summer wine [In reply to]  

would lead to wine flavored kisses very quickly.

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 4 2015, 10:31pm

Post #75 of 303 (809 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! Thanks for that BlackFox [In reply to]  

Didn't know if any Thralls addressed that but Lurk did. Hilarious!

I was on the floor rolling on the last reel.Laugh My what a transformation.

He came out of his cocoon. And we have a beautiful butterfly.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.