Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Chase Dress?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 18 2008, 5:13pm

Post #1 of 8 (7892 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Chase Dress? Can't Post

This is Arwen's second costume. This dress brings Arwen from a higher plane to the world of men (and hobbits). Ngila said that it was important to show Arwen's empathy to the mortal world, so they used an elven version of a human riding coat.

This dress was part of the traveling exhibit. I was actually surprised by the lack of good detail pictures. It's made from a dove grey suede with metallic silk sleeves (similar to those we saw on her Angel Dress) and a silk underskirt. She also wears leggings, leather gloves, and leather boots with it. Here is the full dress, you can see the larger version here. I recommend taking a look at the large version if you can. There are a lot of fine details the blend into this dress in the smaller pictures.

I'm honestly not sure where to start talking about this dress! The bodice has princess seams with a baseball style stitch over them. The skirt is made of 4 petal shaped pieces, with two silk petal shaped pieces underneath it. The sleeves are also petal shaped, similar to her Angel Dress sleeves, with a wider undersleeve in crinkled metallic silk. There is a silk ribbon lacing up the front with a silver buckle, and a silk sash in the back, though I couldn't find a good picture of the back. There is a lace overlay on top of the collar. On the top of each sleeve is a scroll design painted or etched into the suede.

Especially for this outfit, I recommend checking out the AlleyCatScratch and Costumer's Guide sites for more details. They have both compiled a lot of research on this dress.

So, any thoughts?

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
Screencap of the Day Schedule for March

Heading for Japan: April 4-April 15!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2008, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 8 (5611 views)
Shortcut
It's a gorgeous outfit! [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me a lot of Legolas' outfit with the material, style, comfort and elegance of it... considering it's made for endurance! I saw this at the Exhibit and had trouble walking away from it. It's so warm and textured... the detail is something you can stand and look at forever!

What I love about it, too, is during the chase scene as the sleeves and outfit billows behind her in her speed, along with Frodo's cloak from under her arm. This is one of my favourite costumes :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 19 2008, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 8 (5632 views)
Shortcut
I like the elvish scroll pattern on the sleeves, especially... [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave it to elves -- or the LOTR costumers -- to come up with that kind of detail.

Next time I go traveling, I want this outfit instead of a t-shirt and jeans...

Another lovely gown, thanks!

Weaver

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Mar 24 2008, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 8 (5583 views)
Shortcut
Stunning in person ... [In reply to] Can't Post

As with many of the LOTR costumes, this one is even more impressive in person. So many mind-blowingly tiny details you never notice in the blur of editing and character movement.

The missus and I got a chance to really get an up close and personal gander at this one when we caught the exhibition in Boston a few years back. And it must have made quite an impression on her ...

... because when we returned home, she began making her own version of it. Totally from scratch. No patterns, no nothing. She reverse engineered the whole thing based on nothing but photos of Liv Tyler wearing it. It took her several months of very hard work (she even taught herself to embroider so she could do the collar and sleeves), but the results were absolutely stunning. She did an incredible job!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 24 2008, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 8 (5556 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any pictures you could share? [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught this costume at the exhibit in Houston, and I agree, it is absolutely more beautiful in person.

Your wife made this costume from scratch? Wow! That's incredible. Do you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? I love seeing other people's costumes.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 24 2008, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 8 (5532 views)
Shortcut
I love this outfit during that chase! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some costumes are made to look fabulous when a person stands still and don't look good when they're moving. And some costumes look great in the wind but look rather silly otherwise. This costume strikes a great balance, IMHO. Liv can ride, kneel, stand, and looks fabulous doing any of them in this costume Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Mar 24 2008, 11:08pm

Post #7 of 8 (5552 views)
Shortcut
I'll certainly ask. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a little shy about such things, but I shall certainly see if she'd like to share some pics.

And she did do it completely from scratch. I don't know much about costume building ... but I was certainly blown away!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 27 2008, 4:28pm

Post #8 of 8 (5541 views)
Shortcut
At first I wondered why [In reply to] Can't Post

this dress appears so 'plain' compared to the other dresses.

Your explanation about showing Arwen's sympathy with the world of men helps. The 'dreary' world of men, I guess :-). When she is leaning over Frodo, from the chest up it looks almost like a plain grey flannel business suit.

But also I imagine if she's out lurking in the woods, trying to remain hidden and safe from danger, grey would be a good color to wear.

In these photos, one can see the beautiful suede texture and careful detailing shown to all the costumes.

And I very much liked the way it looked, flowing in the wind while she was riding.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.