Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 8:23pm

Post #76 of 214 (650 views)
Shortcut
     that was [In reply to]  

adorkable!

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 8:25pm

Post #77 of 214 (601 views)
Shortcut
     years have no meaning in the life of an elf [In reply to]  

We are all ageless in these hallowed elven halls.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 8:29pm

Post #78 of 214 (577 views)
Shortcut
     yup! [In reply to]  

the tale goes ever on and on... even after the films........

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 8:42pm

Post #79 of 214 (691 views)
Shortcut
     Do you know what the name Thranduil means in Sindarin? [In reply to]  

Thranduil is a Sindarin word for 'vigorous spring' (tharan 'vigorous' + ethuil 'spring').

http://lotr.wikia.com/.../Thranduil#Etymology

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 8:51pm

Post #80 of 214 (671 views)
Shortcut
     Very apt [In reply to]  

Dear Lord, he is very vigorous. More sighs. And look at all of us...we are at XXXII and close to 80 posts!

Please call me, Cassie.

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 9:09pm

Post #81 of 214 (692 views)
Shortcut
     The Fall is a must-see [In reply to]  

Totally agree on that! *high five* It's a fantastic movie, not only for Lee's acting, but also for the incredible cinematography (no CGI effects). It's a crying shame that it's so underrated. Here's an excellent analysis of the movie's symbolism and why it is such a great work of art.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 9:16pm

Post #82 of 214 (620 views)
Shortcut
     IMDd [In reply to]  

lists 44 filming locations for that movie. Not sets or models but real places, Amazing!
The IMDb is currently giving Lee Pace a star meter ranking of 2. Congrats to him.

Please call me, Cassie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 9:41pm

Post #83 of 214 (682 views)
Shortcut
     He shall never fade from our memories. [In reply to]  

Through my researching and readings on online. It was been noted that after the wars especially after Thranduil meets with Celebron to divide up the wood. They have stated sometimes when forgotten elves can fade away when nothing else is mentioned about them or he sailed to Valinor. I would hope the later happen and he sailed to Valinor because who would take over the kingdom. I am assuming after the ring was destroyed and battle in mirkwood, Legolas came back and took over the Kingdom.

What do you'll think?

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 9:46pm

Post #84 of 214 (651 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! Thanks for sharing that Cassie. [In reply to]  

That is a cute video. I was on the floor rolling laughing my butt off. I actually liked the movie but when I heard LP's voice. I kept wanting him to be Thranduil instead of Ronan.
What did you call me "BOY"? I am coming for you.

HeartHeartHeart

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 9:47pm

Post #85 of 214 (612 views)
Shortcut
     But we know that... [In reply to]  

... Legolas sailed into the West after Aragorn's death (Fo.A. 120).

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 9:48pm

Post #86 of 214 (587 views)
Shortcut
     Apt indeed [In reply to]  

I had seen something about the meaning of Thranduil's name before and thought it was perfect.Smile

My only question is, are we talking about "spring" like a water spring, or the season of Spring?

Happy Hobbity New Year! :D

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 9:50pm

Post #87 of 214 (628 views)
Shortcut
     Have you seen this? [In reply to]  

Gorgeous artwork by Ulla Thynell.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 9:50pm

Post #88 of 214 (644 views)
Shortcut
     The season // [In reply to]  

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 9:52pm

Post #89 of 214 (595 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, ok. [In reply to]  

Thanks!Smile

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 9:54pm

Post #90 of 214 (581 views)
Shortcut
     CRASH magazine interview [In reply to]  

Some kind soul posted scans of the CRASH magazine interview. Here's a new pic from that photoshoot:

Sweet lord, those eyelashes!! And that perfect profile. THUDDING again... HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart (Good thing wifi works just as well from the floor... Wink Thanks for the tip, Cassie!)

The entire interview is worth reading. I really appreciate it when the actors I like prove to be smart, thoughtful artists. Can't wait for my copy of the magazine to arrive.

Oh, and woohoo! I'm now in The Shire!! Laugh

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 10:10pm

Post #91 of 214 (569 views)
Shortcut
     Thank for the pretty! SunnyD [In reply to]  

Love the black background. MMM! those ears don't even have to be pointy. I can rub just like they are.HeartHeart

I know this is crazy but they really got him cleaned shaved because you don't see not one strand of beard hair when he was Thranduil.

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Jan 3 2015, 10:15pm

Post #92 of 214 (591 views)
Shortcut
     I just saw GotG for the first time recently too! Got the DVD as a very early birthday present. [In reply to]  

Lee Pace as Ronan is my favorite thing about the movie. After being introduced to him as Thranduil it's interesting to see him play a more villainous character. And as Ronan he dominates the screen like a boss. Cool That voice, though! Agree about the make-up - it would be nice to see Lee's actual face. But Ronan is supposed to look like that, I guess. (Have you seen the behind-the-scenes video where Chris Pratt and Lee actually do have a dance-off?)

I just love Lee Pace more and more each time I see him act. Very underrated. Would love to see him get a lead role in a movie (like War in the North)! He's been in quite a few major franchises like Twilight as a supporting character but I'd like to see him lead more. Hopefully other film makers have taken notice of his Thranduil performance. He conveyed so much emotion in that final scene with Legolas.

I am mentally kicking myself now for missing Lee on Pushing Daisies back when it was on ABC - I remember seeing ads for it but with homework and 4H and my extracurricular stuff (back when I was in high school) I didn't have much time to get into many TV shows then.

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:19pm

Post #93 of 214 (612 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting reading [In reply to]  

You might want to read the appendices at the end of the book, Return of the King. They contain a lot of information. As far as I know it is never stated as to Thranduil's fate. Legolas never became king after Thranduil So there he remains to be worshipped and adored by us.

Please call me, Cassie.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 10:19pm

Post #94 of 214 (647 views)
Shortcut
     Why wouldn't he do it? [In reply to]  

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason Mr. Lewis wouldn't want to play the role or is it just that he hasn't seemed interested in fantasy films in the past?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the man other than the fact that played Lincoln in the Lincoln movie that was filmed here in Virginia and a restaurant in downtown Richmond named a sandwich after him.Evil

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:23pm

Post #95 of 214 (638 views)
Shortcut
     The Thud house is shaking [In reply to]  

He is so handsome that words fail me. His features are perfect in ever way. Quick someone throw a bucket of water on me!

Please call me, Cassie.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 10:24pm

Post #96 of 214 (532 views)
Shortcut
     So pretty! [In reply to]  

I love the color scheme and the use of light and shadow. The subject matter is pretty good too!Wink

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:35pm

Post #97 of 214 (555 views)
Shortcut
     Very choosy about his roles [In reply to]  

Daniel Day Lewis is known for being very picky about what roles he takes on, because he really immerses himself in them, not only during the shoot itself but for the long period of prep time before shooting. He turned down the role of Lincoln at least once, and when he finally agreed to do it, he told Steven Spielberg that he needed at least a year to get ready (reading and researching everything he needed to know about Lincoln in preparation for playing the part). He's known, rightly or wrongly, as the epitome of the Method Actor. So I very much doubt he will take on something in a fantasy movie unless he was really sure of its artistic merit.

And, let's face it, while we may dream and fancast all we want, the spinoff or sequel or whatever we want to call it focusing on Thranduil and/or the early history of the Elves will never happen, because the Tolkien estate holds the rights to everything but The Hobbit and LOTR, and they will never authorize another adaptation based on Tolkien's works. (The copyright on those other works will not expire until 70 years after Christopher Tolkien's death.)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 10:38pm

Post #98 of 214 (565 views)
Shortcut
     He was considered [In reply to]  

I don't know exactly who considered him or if we was cast, but I remember seeing TORn articles and hearing on TORn Tuesday that he had been considered.

Like you, I have no idea why he was considered because he doesn't even look like an elf to me.Crazy

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:42pm

Post #99 of 214 (602 views)
Shortcut
     Sorry, no can do [In reply to]  

He is so handsome that words fail me. His features are perfect in ever way. Quick someone throw a bucket of water on me!

It's too comfortable here on the floor, lying on my Thud Cushions. I'm afraid you're on your own, Cassie! Tongue

SunnyD
Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:45pm

Post #100 of 214 (560 views)
Shortcut
     Do you mean Doug Jones? [In reply to]  

That's probably a holdover from the days when Guillermo del Toro was still slated to direct The Hobbit. Doug Jones has appeared in many of del Toro's films, most notably as Fauno/Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.