The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Mirkwood Painting

Anorien
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 12 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood Painting Can't Post

This is a painting I just finished for a friend as a gift. It's one of her favorite scenes in DoS. Because of the size of canvas I had, I ended up compacting the image to fit in the lonely mountain, so it's not exact. Hope you like it!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 1:17pm

Post #2 of 12 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Another wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's excellent! You're a very gifted artist. Coincidentally, it's also one of my favourite scenes. AngelicSmile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jan 3 2015, 1:20pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 1:21pm

Post #3 of 12 (1526 views)
Shortcut
And I trust the image that serves as your avatar... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is also one of your own paintings?

Anorien
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 10:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Black Fox! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes it is! I did that painting a few years back. It's hanging on the wall behind my desk now Smile

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 4 2015, 12:29am

Post #5 of 12 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Very pretty, all of these! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Light22
Bree

Jan 4 2015, 4:01am

Post #6 of 12 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Looks wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder about the legality of what you're doing, I could be wrong, but you take frames from the film and then paint them? is this what you're doing? Have you consulted a copyright lawyer about these?

Look very nice by the way

Anorien
Rohan

Jan 4 2015, 4:23am

Post #7 of 12 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not selling them and I'm not claiming any rights to the image itself. I try to acknowledge the fact that they are from/inspired by the movies when I post pictures. Hopefully no one is offended. I just like to paint and have fun painting scenes from Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit as practice.

Light22
Bree

Jan 4 2015, 5:15am

Post #8 of 12 (1561 views)
Shortcut
I think that you may run to a problem in the future [In reply to] Can't Post

I would strongly advice that you protect yourself by consulting a copyright lawyer. Its one thing to create an imaginary work from scratch as fan art, but to base them on copyrighted material may cause you some legal problems, and no you don't have to make money in order to get into problems. Everytime someone creates an artwork that art is legally theirs, especially when its protected by law, just in the case of PJ films. The best bet is to ask a lawyer, or request a written permission from PJ directly, or New Line Films, whoever owns the rights on these films.

Lena
The Shire

Jan 14 2015, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 12 (1442 views)
Shortcut
It's very beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the scenery in DoS. I would like to have a pic like this as well, it's really pretty.

Fresh but eager to learn :)

Lena
The Shire

Jan 14 2015, 1:03pm

Post #10 of 12 (1465 views)
Shortcut
Maybe if these are not the exact screenshots [In reply to] Can't Post

then this is not against the law? And not for sale?

Fresh but eager to learn :)

Avii

Jan 19 2015, 2:53am

Post #11 of 12 (1505 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drop* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, this is absolutely stunning. How long did it take you to paint this?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - Thorin Oakenshield

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 5:07am

Post #12 of 12 (1455 views)
Shortcut
really fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure about the copyright thing either, but there is a lot of fan art based directly on screencaps...

also have seen a bunch of stuff for sale on places like zazzle with Thranduil or other copyrighted characters (ack!!!)

I've done some stuff that is based on Middle Earth characters, but can also be sen as original fantasy characters if I do't tell you who they originally were (because they aren't based at all on the film images).

I tend to tell anyone in my art classes to use a bunch of photos as reference, and create their own composition.

Carry on!

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.