The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rhosgobel Rabbits!

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 10:29am

Post #1 of 11 (926 views)
Shortcut
Rhosgobel Rabbits! Can't Post

In The Hobbit 1 after the company go out from the troll horde Radagast the Brown came and tell about Mirkwood to Gandalf after that he offers to distract them and then says Gandalf, it is Gundabadulvar them will catch up with you then say Radagast, This is Rhosgobelrabbits them can try.
What is Rhosgobelrabbits? I understand that there are those rabbits that draws Radagast sled Rhosgobel is it a place?
Is the rabbits from Mirkwood called so or is it a specia color of rabbits?

I most think Rhosgobel its a place in Mirkwood maybe there Radagast live.

(This post was edited by Konrad S on Jan 3 2015, 10:29am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 10:44am

Post #2 of 11 (729 views)
Shortcut
It's a place near the borders of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, it's where Radagast dwelt.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 10:50am

Post #3 of 11 (732 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay Rhosgobel is where Radagast live do u know where Rhosgobel is in Mirkwood? do u know a map that visit where it is? and what is special about Rhosgobel Rabbits? Are they faster than other?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 10:57am

Post #4 of 11 (723 views)
Shortcut
It's located on the western border of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

It's exact location is open to interpretation.

(A) is the best evidenced and most consistent location for Rhosgobel, though some sources suggest that it stood further north, at the position marked by (B) on this map. (http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/r/rhosgobel.html)

As for the rabbits, their size and strength seem to be their greatest advantages.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jan 3 2015, 10:59am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:17pm

Post #5 of 11 (704 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's worth saying that the rabbits are a movie invention... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they don't appear in the books (as far as I'm aware) so one cannot look in Tolkien's various writings for information about them.

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 6:24pm

Post #6 of 11 (701 views)
Shortcut
Grrrr 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

But the film suggests that they are extra fast if they can outrun Gundabad Wargs that seems to be very fast

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:34pm

Post #7 of 11 (683 views)
Shortcut
They are fast [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's the combination of speed, strength and stamina that allows them to outrun the wargs.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 11 (697 views)
Shortcut
If you watch the appendices to AUJ you will find they were PJ's invention [In reply to] Can't Post

and that his design team were not really onboard when first mentioned but that is what he wanted so they did as they were instructed. Earlier during the AUJ discussions this topic was addressed. There are some large hare varieties but one has to set aside believability. The biggest problem was a sleigh being pulled through a tangled forest and over dry ground...very hard to believe. We have the curious finding of a "wheeled chariot on ice" and a sleigh on turf and bracken. Makes no sense. I could live with a large breed of hare hopping ....though very silly...but dragging a sleigh? Does Radagast provide levitation?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 3 2015, 6:42pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 7:19pm

Post #9 of 11 (677 views)
Shortcut
Rabbits are fast... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even my tiny little dwarf rabbit could be seriously fast on his feet when he needed to. I saw him easily outrun a cat once. He got spooked by the sudden appearance of a cat and his flight instinct kicked in, and the cat chased after him. And once he got going, there was no stopping him... (Neither rabbit nor cat came to any harm during this - the cat was distracted with an offer of cooked chicken, and the rabbit could eventually be caught with fresh parsley.)

Rhosgobel rabbits, with their size and longer legs and probably more muscle mass than my spoilt pet, would be even a good bit faster than that, I imagine.

I wonder, though, how Radagast got the zigzagging under control, so that all twelve rabbits went in the same direction.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 7:26pm

Post #10 of 11 (674 views)
Shortcut
He is a wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

He was a wizard and i maia and Middle Earth is a fantasy world and they were probably domesticated

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2015, 12:48pm

Post #11 of 11 (691 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful Rosghobel Rabbits!!! I'm so glad [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ had the great idea to invent them!...
But even ordinary rabbits are very fast indeed, and can leap easily over obstacles... And in this specific case, of course Radagast does provide the brief levitation of the sleigh whenever needed over a big root or whatever, as we can see in the movie!...Sly

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.