The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Orcish Hygene

boldog
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 8:22am

Post #1 of 8 (556 views)
Shortcut
Orcish Hygene Can't Post

This crossed my mind today. I dont know why, but its quite disgusting but at the same very thought provoking.

How do Orcs go to the toilet? I mean they are Humanoid creatures right? And they do need to eat. And we all know where the food goes Tongue
But considering the fact that the Orcs are such Barbaric and almost animal like beings, would they even have time or enough Hygene to go to an actual sort of toilet? If they were more animalistic, they would do it everywhere. And with the Hordes of Orcs that occupy one particular area, that is a death sentence. Disease will spread in an instant, and the vast armies that Sauron would want, will be greatly reduced, and very weak to fight.

As hard as it is to imagine, there must be some sort of Hygene among the Orcs to keep them alive.

Thoughts? Sorry for a bit of a morbid topic Tongue I understand some ringers wont like this, but oh well Wink

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 5:19pm

Post #2 of 8 (415 views)
Shortcut
Ah, potty humor [In reply to] Can't Post

Vast armies have always had to poo poo. Orcs had a minimal intelligence – not entirely ‘animalistic’ .

“Hey Grishnakh, over behind that bush is the latrine! Get thee hence, sluggard!”

squire
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:05pm

Post #3 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
You're not the first [In reply to] Can't Post

This question was dealt with about as well as it could be, back in the good old days. The scene is from Book III, during the chase of the Three Hunters after their captured companions:
Many times Stomper lost the scent, which was rather difficult since narcs are fond of collecting their droppings along the way into great, pungent mounds. These they carefully sculpted and molded into fearsome shapes as mute warning to any who might dare challenge their power. (Bored of the Rings, VI)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2015, 6:48pm

Post #4 of 8 (408 views)
Shortcut
That was a classic work! I had it years ago but have lost it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs have no hygiene. They are foul creatures in all ways. I assume they have the same functions.....eat, drink and waste production. They simply don't have any concept of hygiene. I am sure the goblin tunnels reaked of orc. Now, an organized goblin town etc. may have a crude area for waste just to keep it clear of walkways etc.

priell3
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 8 (354 views)
Shortcut
Shelob's Lair - The Two Towers, Chapter 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

"...a foul reek, as if filth unnameable were piled and hoarded in the dark within."; after which Sam refers to it as "Some beastly hole of the Orcs...with a hundred years of their filth in it.".

That is about as much reference to Orc hygiene as you will get.

MikeP

squire
Half-elven

Jan 5 2015, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 8 (361 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that line of Sam's is meant to be a blind. That is, Sam (and so also we the readers) naturally assumes the smell is orc-waste because he cannot imagine what it really is: Shelob's waste.

Since the primary image of Shelob is of her insatiable appetite for all things material and spiritual, I think we ought to give the orcs a break here, assume they make the same arrangements for hygiene as other humanoids (i.e., use cesspits or similar, within the confines of their castle), and leave the pits of Shelob's Lair for the "filth unnameable" of Shelob's Leavings.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 8:28pm

Post #7 of 8 (301 views)
Shortcut
there was this nifty story... [In reply to] Can't Post

on NPR... I forget which show, This American Life? or something...

oh, RadioLab...

Hookworm.

That was the theme.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91951-an-update-on-hookworms/

Some guy with a lot of allergies discovered that hookworm alleviated them.

Connected to this was the observation by some historical figure that southerners (southern US of A) were more laid back than the climate indicated.

Could it be hookworm infestation?

A survey of southerners (and no few other folk, I'm sure) of the time pointed out that folks poo-pooed and PP'd at certain ... spots... like... oh, that tree over there.

Hookworms can crawl. But not farther than six feet.

Enter the Outhouse, with it's rather deepish hole.

Which the offending parasite cannot crawl from.

So much for Hookworm, except for the guy who went to Africa to get infected, and thereby relieve his allergies (there's a theory that the parasites do come sort of calming chemical voodoo to the guts of their host).

Spoiler alert for the squeamish: a rather closeup view of the Offending Parasite is on that link... ick.

so yeah....

probably orcs have very few allergies.....

(and I bet they mark their territory)

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2015, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 8 (325 views)
Shortcut
I completely fergot [In reply to] Can't Post

about bored of the rings...........

I did camp once on a remote barrier island (Assateague, VA), the camp accessible only by kayak. The island is famous for its wild ponies, left over from colonial days...

Stallions, both domestic and wild, do precisely that, leave their poop in great mounds... at least the desert island sea winds dry them out...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.